Nightstand delima

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by deadsp0t, Mar 10, 2013.

1. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Ok, this isn't the 'what gun is best for my nightstand' thread..
    This is the daughter is about to turn two this week and has just gotten her 'big girl' bed and I'm not sure how to keep pistol near by and have piece of mind that my girl can't wonder in and pick it up thread.. It's always on safety but that's not good enough for me.. My daughter already knows it goes 'bang bang' and she is not allowed to touch it, all the more reason to make sure it's secure.. How do the other parents deal or have dealt with this issue?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yep. My guns are in a locked safe right next to my bed. My barking dogs would warn me when I need to open that safe, I'm sure.

4. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I have a fireproof safe, which I've considered, it just takes up some space..

5. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I guess I should have added we do not have a dog at the moment.. Maybe I can factor this into my reasoning to get another :D
    I'm assuming our cats would suck at warning us lmao..

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

7. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

It only takes a second to rack the slide. If it is not secured, don't leave it out with "one in the tube."

9. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I haven't been.. The top of my stand is pretty wide and I've kept it at the back up against the wall.. Part of what bugs me is if she were to get her hands in it, it would break her foot or something if she were to drop it.. Idk, hope I'm not over thinking this, I just refuse to be 'that guy'

The gun is a Kimber Ultra CDP, if that matters..

10. cvia

cvia New Member

You have to look at the mini vaults. They come in lots of sizes and some are bio and others keypad. I got one and like it. It keeps my kid out of it and I can open it in under 2 seconds.

11. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I started a thread pretty similar to this called "guns and kids" a couple months ago that might give you ideas. My girl is about 2 as well. I ended up getting a stack on gun safe. Their are others a little better like the gunvault, but they were more pricey. My wife and I both have one on our night stands now. We got the PDS 650 version if I remember right. Good luck though, hope it helps a little.

12. cvia

cvia New Member

Oh I have 2 year old. I keep my mini vault right on my night stand. The battery does die kinda fast tho. You will know when it needs changing when you have to put the code in twice.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Yeah, I don't like the idea of electronic locks. But a key is not ideal for you. The three-digit combination lock may be the ticket though at 3 AM it might be a little hard to see...

14. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Starting to think maybe a 6'+ corner shelf may be the ticket.. Out of sight out of mind out of reach..

15. FAS1

FAS1 Member

My thought is that I want to be able to access my HD handgun from my bed and with one hand in the dark. I think I am most vulnerable while sleeping and I want to be able to access my gun as soon as possible if needed. One handed also means not having to chamber a round. What if you are fighting someone off? You never know.

Also, I like the reliability and durability of a mechanical lock on something that could possibly save my life.
    There are lots of choices out there and I'm sure you can do the same and find a way to have your handgun close by, accessible, and SECURED. Don't rely on the out of reach method while you are educating your kids about firearms. It might only be one in a million, especially in a good home, but your childs life is worth way more than a couple hunderd bucks to secure your gun.

[ame="http://youtu.be/CcJUGuB35y8"]FAS1 Safe Video Clip[/ame]

16. sbach311

sbach311 New Member

I bought a drawer safe at sportsmans for around $50. Works perfect for me, it keeps wandering hands out!!

17. 22Plinkster

22Plinkster New Member

A friend of mine has to small children, so he had the same problem. What he did, because in an emergency you may not have time to unlock a lock box or gun cabnet, so mounted a spare holster above the door frame of his bedroom. He was tall enough to reach it, but the kids were not. Hope that helps.

18. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

That's kinda the idea I was going for with having a corner shelf..
    Maybe a holster with a thumb break would be a better option though.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  19. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't have kids; let's all be thankful.

Maybe you need to switch your nightstand gun to one she couldn't fire. Maybe something like a pump shotgun that she would be unable to rack (much less point at herself). I don't think a two year old could rack the slide on your semiauto to make it active, anyways.

If you are worried about her dropping it on her foot, you have a WHOLE HOUSE full of problem objects; guns aren't the only thing that she could potentially crush a pinky toe with. She will eventually figure out gravity, and a empty tube would prevent an AD from a drop, even if the internal safeties wouldn't.

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

But even that has limited safety. It might work for a two year old but might not for a year old.