Nighthawk or Wilson Combat

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by sdiver35, Dec 8, 2012.

1. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I am looking for good reasons to support purchasing either a Nighthawk Custom or Wilson Combat commander sized pistol for carrying. What I am specifically looking for is experiences with both companies and the experiences of owning and shooting both. I have been on the fence for some time now and have made the decision to purchase, but I really can't decide on one or the other. Since these are high end firearms and cannot be rented - the only thing I can do is read reviews, hold one for a few minutes at a LGS and trust in my fellow members here to help decide.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

This has been discussed many times. I own and swear by my wilson cqb compact.

Attached Files:

3. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I own a nighthawk and had the pleasure of shooting a WC side by side with my NHC talon last week. That would be a tough call on which to buy. Either way you'd be happy. My suggestion, call NHC tell them what you want and see how they help you. Then call WC with same questions and see how they help you I've made several decisions on first impressions. Either way, here is a couple pics of my NHC.

Attached Files:

4. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Great idea. Thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards a NHC.

5. If I was looking at Nighthawk, I'd probably look at one of the pistols designed by Costa, Heinie, or Bob Marvel. I think that is a terrific idea by Nighthawk in having an pistol or shooting expert outside of Nighthawk design the gun. In the case of the Heinie and Marvel, both of them came to Nighthawk to train the gunsmiths on exactly how to build the gun to their specifications - so you're getting the benefit of the gun designer's gunsmithing expertise and not just design of the way the gun looks.

If I wanted a semi-custom to my specifications - I'd probably choose Wilson as they offer an extremely wide range of options and will do things not on their option list if you ask. Either way, you'll certainly enjoy the pistol when you get it.

6. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I'm leaning towards the NHC T3, our local shop has the Costa model in stock but it's about $1000 more than the T3.

7. PittTactical556

PittTactical556 New Member

I've heard both make great 1911's

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Nighthawk or Wilson?
    Rolls Royce or Bentley?
    Ferrari or Lamborghini?
    Which one appeals to you?
    I doubt there's a lick of difference quality wise.
    I own a Wilson and I had the opportunity to handle a Nighthawk at the LGS. They both make you smile.

9. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I received permission today to purchase my final pistol for some time. I went with the Nighthawk Custom Costa Compact.

BTW - My wife is awesome! She even said "It's an investment, buy it"!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  10. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Personally I would go with Nighthawk. I shot both and I liked the Nighthawk better. You should also look at Les Baer 1911's

11. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Too late already went with NHC,

12. patyancey

patyancey New Member

I have a GRP recon. I shot the top 5 competitors before i made my decision. They were all very close. But i emailed NHC with a few questions, and the next day one of the smiths called me(very laid back, very calm-not pushy at all) answered all of my questions and gave me advice and helped educate me on a few things I didn't notice while I was looking/shopping. I did homework on the best 1911 to buy and in the end NHC provided me with exactly what I wanted and the service to boot. Furthermore-3 months after I had it, the same smith that I talked to/that built it- called and checked in to ask if I had any questions and if it was to my liking. CUSTOMER for life now :)

13. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Wow that is great service!

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Always good to hear about superior customer service.