Night vision scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Ericreed22, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Ericreed22

Ericreed22 New Member

Hey guys. I'm trying to find a good night vision (Gen. 1) scope for Texas hogs. I had an ATM MK350 in the past, and I sold it. No matter what I did, it wouldn't hold a zero. I've heard all good things about the MK350 though. Did I just get a bad one? Any other suggestions for around $500?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You can get a "night vision scope(????)" for under $1000.

You can get a GOOD night vision scope (thermal imaging) for about $12,000.

3. MACV_SOG

MACV_SOG New Member

The thermal scope is at the top of my wish list! But the evil issue of money pops up with a BIG red stop sign! I consider it a necessity but it's labeled a luxury. I can see this point. Just as I would love a new truck! Ain't gonna happen .

4. locutus

Unfortunately, most of us fall into that category.:(

5. WestForkArmory

WestForkArmory New Member

6. MACV_SOG

MACV_SOG New Member

You state if I e-mail you I'll receive a discount coupon .I never look a gifthorse though it truly be a great gesture to make the coupon enough to eliminate these transfer fees mentioned above. Unless they are of no concearn to the buyer?
    How rugged are these scopes "truthfully",LOL. If properly mounted and I ran a box of 7.62s through my firearm would I feel sure I'm still zeroed ?

7. WestForkArmory

WestForkArmory New Member

I'm confused on what your talking about in regards to transfer fees. We only charge transfer fees for firearms sent to us that were bought from another company and ours are some of the lowest fees around. Night vision doesn't require a transfer fee. As far the scope durability, they are very tough and will stand up to a 416. I've personally used a few digisights over the past couple of years and they work very well, even with no moon.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  8. MACV_SOG

MACV_SOG New Member

Transfer fees

GREAT!, But your e-mail did mention two transfer fees ? I really was confused since I knew only lowers need FFLs

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That's the exact unit that I've been looking at.
    I'll be getting in touch with you in a couple months,after I pay a couple things off.

10. wildhunter

wildhunter New Member

Hello there, at this price range you can only get Gen 1 scope which is not the best obviously, but it is usable for about 100-150 yards. You need to make sure there is some ambient light though like few stars in the sky at least. I was looking for the night vision scope myself just recently, and the guy at optics planet recommended the new brand called Armasight, they have a couple of models just under the $500, and he said they get good feedback. So I'm thinking about it now, and if I get one I'll get back with my comments on it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  11. bonney

bonney New Member

Prices are finally coming down into the "semi-reasonable" range for these things. for 150 yds and non-critical accuracy (ie, hogs) you can do ok with moonlight and ($150, drop in) luminous inserts for iron sights (on military style autorifles, at least), with a $200 passive IR monocular to "scan" with, and get you "focused" on a a given animal.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  12. wildhunter

wildhunter New Member

Ok, so here I'm back with my comments. I did some more research and finally decided to try this Armasight Orion scope with 4x magnification. I didn't buy it at OP though, found a better deal on Amazon about a month ago. The scope looks a little bulky, but for the money I would say it's still a good deal. So far it works really well, I can identify hog size objects up to 120-150 yards. I wish I could afford thermal scope but as few guys mentioned above I can only dream about it like most of us. So for now I'll stick with my Orion 4x for $470.. lol

13. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

I heard with gen 1 you can see nothing in the full darkness

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  14. unicorn

unicorn New Member

haha, dude it 100% depends on manufaturer! anyway, try IR and don't snuffle :cool:

15. wildhunter

wildhunter New Member

I think it is an exaggeration, gen 1+ is not that bad, especially for amateur use, and the most important for limited budget! We'll see how long will my Orion last, but for now I'm happy with it :cool:

16. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

Hey, guys, I just came back from 4 days trip into the deep forest where we had to live in dugouts..first we digged them of course.. that was really really difficult... it was a sort of a game but a very very difficult game.. it was my first experience of this kind of training. Our platoon had to secure a certain perimeter and another military unit tried to attack us.. we didn't know in which of these days we would be attacked that's why we slept in turns 2-3 hours a day only.. our task was to secure our colonel and their task was to steal him.. As we are in OPTICS thread I can also say that we used night vision too.. it was cool)) After we met the attack.. and the finishing of this 4 days torture was 32 kilometres forced march ( accelerated march).. on the last 4 kilometres 9 soldiers flacked out.. and this is going to be now every 3 mounth..

Attached Files:

17. austin92

austin92 New Member

Huh???????

18. MACV_SOG

MACV_SOG New Member

Yea, the gen 1's go back years! The more ambient light (clear starlit night) the better it works. With the $ for thermal vision I could buy a .50 caliber !! And feed it well!! I would try to find a used one of higher quality. GOOD LUCK.

19. locutus

20. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

We run 3 every day