Night sights?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by new_girsan_1911, Mar 4, 2013.

1. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

Ok people i need some help figuring out what night sights will fit on a Girsan MC1911 .45.............i have seen a few differnt ones but none are specific to Girsan. Do i need s&w, glock, h&k, or what? Any info is appreciated.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

3. new_girsan_1911

No actually my sites are dovetailed. When i get home in about 7 hrs i will take a closer pic for ya.

4. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I recently ordered some novak tritium night sights for my Taurus 1911. Had some good reviews and looked solid to me

5. new_girsan_1911

Yeah i was looking at those but not sure what dovetail i have. Was hoping someone like SS had already looked into it and could help me out. Lol

6. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

If you have a micrometer just measure the size of the dovetail and you will know. They made it easy for me and had a special Taurus sub section

7. new_girsan_1911

Yeah, you got lucky and had it done for you. And i unfortunately have no calipers or micrometer to measure my dovetails and no one seems to have done it at all. Cant even message Girsan / Yavuz / Tisas and get that info. Ugh.

8. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You may wish to call Novaks and they will be more than happy to assist. I have a set of 3 dot tritium on a 1911 that are outstanding in my opinion. If needed, I believe you could send them your slide for installation if you cannot determine the dimensions to your liking. I had very good service in my dealings with them.

9. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

New-Girsan...give me a couple weeks and I'll get you the right specs.

I called my local 'Smith and he is going to do a custom job on the front sight and add a fiber optic sight with dovetail post. Right now its a staked black post with no sight.

Once he gets in and takes measurements, etc Ill let you know what size product he ordered for my front sight. Leaving the rear Novaks alone....just want a kickass new front f/o sight ;)

10. new_girsan_1911

Wait a sec both of my sights look like dovetails...... And i talked to budsgunshop on facebook and they said they were told that the rear was a novak dove and the front is the type of dovetail s&w uses. Not sure if they got it from a reliable source or not. I also am in contact with tooltechgunsight.com and they are looking into what can be done with the Girsan. But keep me updated stainless........... Thanks

11. Kryptoglow

Kryptoglow New Member

Hello,
    I look forward to any results obtaining night sights for the Girsan. I just got a Girsan MC1911S and The front sight is too tall. It's accurate but 4" low at 25yards. It's my first 1911 and I'm in love with everything else.

12. new_girsan_1911

Kryptoglo......i have pulled the rear sight and it is .330" X 65 degrees and the front is the same. Just pulled it to be safe. If you find sites that work let me know, i have been looking but no sets offer the same dovetail on both front and rear that i have found anyway.

13. Kryptoglow

Kryptoglow New Member

Thanks for the info. Were half way there:) I'm going to call that XS sights company that was linked in another thread. I'll update with my findings.

14. new_girsan_1911

Well dude i am finding no one makes a rear night sight with this dovetail and may have to order one a lil bigger and work it down to fit or machine the slide.

15. Kryptoglow

Kryptoglow New Member

I do like the gun but man....

First, standard grips do fit:) but the screws don't.:( That's just ignorant of the maker. I ordered a standard 1911 tap from midway and new bushings/screws
    Second, They say it takes standard colt sights:)....but I guess it doesn't?:( Strike 2

I really am impressed with the fit/finish and performance. I would still recommend it but I would be a spokesman for them if they would just fix some of these points.

16. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Agreed, I had to really spend some time and CAREFULLY use the dremel to hollow out my new Wilson Combat sunburst grips for my Girsan. Now it fits like a freakin glove and I love it but yeah that pissed me off. Standard 1911 grip screws WILL NOT WORK!

17. new_girsan_1911

Krypto and Stainless you guys hit it on the head. Still waiting on my new screws so i can put my new Marilyn grips on. And seriously why wouldnt they use a common dovetail for the rear sights instead of using the common front Novak dovetail on the rear site as well? Bet it was for the cost why have a tool change when they can just use one tool for both sights? Damn turks lol

18. new_girsan_1911

Ok so i just ordered some novak sights and a dovetail cutter and i have a machinist lined up to do the mill work, so hopefully by next week i will have them installed. Got tired of the back and forth with all the sight manufacturers trying to get sights just over .330" with 65 degree cut so i could work the site down to fit.

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Advise the company.

One of the companies in the PI had the same problem when they started out. Enough complaining from the US got them to change.

20. new_girsan_1911

Will try Dan, the problem is i emailed the company asking about their sight options they have since they have night sight options on their website and asked if any night sights they have are a direct replacement and they never answered back tried 3 times. I love my Girsan but wont buy anymore for the terrible customer service i have received. But i am going to standard Novak incase i ever lose a sight or want to sell it, it will be easy for anyone to find replacements.