Firearms Talk banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Just wow. I don't think my dogs would come off the chase. Once they strike they are bent to bay. But I have never had a dog serounsly hurt either.

I did have a incident that resulted in me getting a bit hurt. The hounds had a fairly nice hog bayed up. Turned loose the catch dogs who made short work of their job. I went to truss the pig, but before I could get it's hind legs up (get a hogs legs up you can trundle it around like a wheelbarrow, they can't turn) the pig got loose from the catch dogs. The dogs went back to their work, but now I was in the way. Meatloaf chomped down on my leg. He immediately let go, looks at me with a look that said uh-oh sorry, and rolled over on his back!

Another funny night hunting story.

We have an area just inside a tree line that has an area of low mounds in it. Local legend has that it is an old burial ground and is haunted. My father in law and I had just come through that area and came into a field. Our truck was parked on the far side. I was carrying the rifle and a burlap sack with the nights bounty in it.

I was maybe 10 yards into the field when one of the ghosts had me! I can still remember the sound and it touching me. And my father in law laughing! He said I screamed, jumped so high he could see the moon under my feet. The rifle was flying off in one direction, the burlap sack in the other, and the birds flying around me.

I had stepped into a covey of sleeping quail!

The ONLY thing I will use while night hunting is a 78 Chevy 4x4. And its usually on accident, and not very easy to skin out.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.