Firearms Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose nickel cases handle high pressure loads better then brass or is it just good for making the round chamber smoother?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
It's primarily for corrosion resistance. Nickel is less susceptible to corrosion in inclement weather/harsh conditions. Remington UMC aside, notice it's mostly carry or hunting ammo that's nickel plated.
Oh, it looks nice too.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
bigdaddy573 said:
Dose nickel cases handle high pressure loads better then brass or is it just good for making the round chamber smoother?
Th has no effect on how much pressure it can hold. The nickel case is just brass with a thin layer of nickel over it.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Overkill0084 said:
It's primarily for corrosion resistance. Nickel is less susceptible to corrosion in inclement weather/harsh conditions. Remington UMC aside, notice it's mostly carry or hunting ammo that's nickel plated.
Oh, it looks nice too.
Alright thanks I just loaded a box of 22-250 with a max load and I wasn't 100% sure if they was stronger so I figured I would ask because I don't want to use the same load in brass if I couldn't tell if there was pressure damage to the Nickel case

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lbwar15 said:
Th has no effect on how much pressure it can hold. The nickel case is just brass with a thin layer of nickel over it.
Knew that I just wasn't sure if it also helped with pressure more of a safe then sorry question

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Once your sizing die is scratched(no matter how it happens) it will leave marks on every case you put thru it. Can still be used but your cases look ugly among other things.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hiwall said:
Once your sizing die is scratched(no matter how it happens) it will leave marks on every case you put thru it. Can still be used but your cases look ugly among other things.
Lol you had me worried for a sec but I think a ugly case is the lease worry a coyote will have when he gets smacked by the bullet that left that ugly case right

·
Registered
173 Posts
Back when (I started) we carried our spare ammo in 'loops'. Brass casings would gunk up quickly, think summer with temps and humidity both in the upper 90s. I had a Sargent that didn't care much for 'guns'. His 'brass' 38s froze in the chamber of his S&W Model 15 (it could have been a Model 10).

Other than brass turning green when being poorly cared for, I see no functional difference or the need for nickle plated cases. Pre carbide sizing die, just about every sizing die for .38 Specials had picked up a carbon scraper. We lived with it on all of out re-loads.

Now a days, I'm sure I have some nickle cased some place. I don't buy them, don't see the need. Nickle rifle cases would look 'spiffy'. :D

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oldpapps said:
Back when (I started) we carried our spare ammo in 'loops'. Brass casings would gunk up quickly, think summer with temps and humidity both in the upper 90s. I had a Sargent that didn't care much for 'guns'. His 'brass' 38s froze in the chamber of his S&W Model 15 (it could have been a Model 10).

Other than brass turning green when being poorly cared for, I see no functional difference or the need for nickle plated cases. Pre carbide sizing die, just about every sizing die for .38 Specials had picked up a carbon scraper. We lived with it on all of out re-loads.

Now a days, I'm sure I have some nickle cased some place. I don't buy them, don't see the need. Nickle rifle cases would look 'spiffy'. :D
That pretty bad letting your rounds freeze in your gun and they do look pretty cool lol

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
I like nickle cases. I have some nickle .38 cases thayt have been loaded more than 50 rimes. (with light wad cutter loads) The nickle has just about worn off, but they still hit the "X" ring.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like nickle cases. I have some nickle .38 cases thayt have been loaded more than 50 rimes. (with light wad cutter loads) The nickle has just about worn off, but they still hit the "X" ring.
I hope I can get that much out of them or at least till I find some more cases because they chamber really smooth and I fill I can work the bolt faster if needed because how smooth they are compared to plain brass

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Oh, it looks nice too.
+1

It performs the same as brass for pressure or feeding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.