Nickle cases

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bigdaddy573, Jan 3, 2013.

1. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Dose nickel cases handle high pressure loads better then brass or is it just good for making the round chamber smoother?

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

It's primarily for corrosion resistance. Nickel is less susceptible to corrosion in inclement weather/harsh conditions. Remington UMC aside, notice it's mostly carry or hunting ammo that's nickel plated.
    Oh, it looks nice too.

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Th has no effect on how much pressure it can hold. The nickel case is just brass with a thin layer of nickel over it.

4. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright thanks I just loaded a box of 22-250 with a max load and I wasn't 100% sure if they was stronger so I figured I would ask because I don't want to use the same load in brass if I couldn't tell if there was pressure damage to the Nickel case

5. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Knew that I just wasn't sure if it also helped with pressure more of a safe then sorry question

6. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Sometimes nickel cases will scratch your reloading dies.

7. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Dose that hurt other cases

8. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Once your sizing die is scratched(no matter how it happens) it will leave marks on every case you put thru it. Can still be used but your cases look ugly among other things.

9. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol you had me worried for a sec but I think a ugly case is the lease worry a coyote will have when he gets smacked by the bullet that left that ugly case right

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Just watch it tho. The nickel might start to flake off after a few reloads.

11. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Back when (I started) we carried our spare ammo in 'loops'. Brass casings would gunk up quickly, think summer with temps and humidity both in the upper 90s. I had a Sargent that didn't care much for 'guns'. His 'brass' 38s froze in the chamber of his S&W Model 15 (it could have been a Model 10).

Other than brass turning green when being poorly cared for, I see no functional difference or the need for nickle plated cases. Pre carbide sizing die, just about every sizing die for .38 Specials had picked up a carbon scraper. We lived with it on all of out re-loads.

Now a days, I'm sure I have some nickle cased some place. I don't buy them, don't see the need. Nickle rifle cases would look 'spiffy'. :D

12. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

That pretty bad letting your rounds freeze in your gun and they do look pretty cool lol

13. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright I will keep a eye them

14. johnjohn

johnjohn New Member

Just my own experience with handgun rounds nickle plated ones crack and split sooner than the plain brass ones.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I like nickle cases. I have some nickle .38 cases thayt have been loaded more than 50 rimes. (with light wad cutter loads) The nickle has just about worn off, but they still hit the "X" ring.

16. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I hope I can get that much out of them or at least till I find some more cases because they chamber really smooth and I fill I can work the bolt faster if needed because how smooth they are compared to plain brass

17. Shade

Shade New Member

+1

It performs the same as brass for pressure or feeding.