nickel plating?

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by Travis183197, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Travis183197

Travis183197 New Member

Im going to buy a 1911 and have it nickel plated, i can get the same model in stainless steel, or blued, will it matter?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think to do nickel plating it might have to be the blued version with the blueing stripped off. not for sure whether you could do nickel palting on stainless steel or not.

just out of curiousity, why would you want it nickel plated? if used on a regular basis, the plating could flake off and leave the pistol looking pretty crappy. why not just go with the stainless steel version?

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

4. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Don't you also have to watch what you use to clean it with as it might ruin the finish?

5. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Nickle does not flake off. Cheap chrome plating flakes off. You will need a carbon steel gun to plate not SS.:)

6. Travis183197

Travis183197 New Member

Its for a present. Grandfather had a remmington r1 nickel plated but it was stolen years ago. Want to get it and have grip engravedwith for him. Show piece mostly

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Ah, now it makes sense. Thought for a second there you were looking to accessorize along with your teeth, chains and watch :D ;) :p

Attached Files:

8. Axxe55

just out of curiosity, how could he have had an R1 stolen years ago when they didn't even come out until 2011? and the only finishes available on the R1 are blued or stainless steel!

9. Travis183197

Travis183197 New Member

It wasnt technically an r1, it was a pistol given to him by his father and he sais the r1 feels exactly like he remembers. Not sire how it came to be nickled, and hes not sure what the exact gun it was or where exactly it came from

10. Axxe55

the last time Remington Arms made a 1911 pistol was in WWI from 1911 to 1918. Remington Rand which was a typewriter maker, and not associated with Remington arms made the 1911 pistol in WWII from 1942 to 1945. Colt has offered the 1911 in nickel plated finishes over the years also. could have been a Colt or another pistol that was plated by someone at some point.

11. Travis183197

Travis183197 New Member

We think it was my great grandfathers service pistol that he had plated and engraved. Would that make time period sence? He wouldve been in active duty from 1935ish to 1950 ish. And he was a pretty high ranking officer during WW2.

12. Axxe55

if he served during WWII, possible it was a Colt, an Ithaca, a Remington Rand, a Singer or even several others that made 1911's during the war production years. i would look into one of the SpringField Armory Mil-Spec GI models as they are pretty close in looking like the older WWII style 1911's. nickel plating is going to cost some money for a quality job, as the blueing has to be stripped, then it will have to be polished before plating. that is a lot of labor. then engraving done right is going to be, well expensive. this is on top of what you will have to spend on the pistol. how much is your budget? you do realize that this going to be very expensive if done correctly?

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

My thoughts? Rock Island makes polished and a Matte nickel models. If you MUST have nickel plating, you're better off buying a gun that started that way. Also, Rock Island has been earning a good reputation. The guns themselves are a great value.
    http://qr.rockislandarmory.com/Armscor_2012 Catalog.pdf
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/91205617...ock_Island_1911_45ACP_Polished_Nickel_NIB.htm

Nickel looks nice, but there's a reason it's not that popular these days: Stainless steel. For a gun that's going to live in the real world, Stainless is a the better option. Find one you like, and have it polished to a nickel-like shine. Scratches & wear marks? Just get them buffed out as needed.

14. droes

droes New Member

You can nickel plate stainless but you gotta plate it in copper first. My Gatling gun barrels were 416 SS and I had them copper then nickel and then chrome plated

15. Mandy

Mandy New Member

"Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock"

Deputy Sam Gerard

Seriously now, why not get the SS and polish it to a mirror finish?

It should be cheaper than plating it

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

My jeweler, who is also a WWII vet, has a nickel plated Remington-Rand 1911.

I have tried to talk him out of it several times. (he still has it)
    He told me that after the war it was a big thing to nickle plate the guns to create interest in the civilian market. Right after the war, there were so many 1911s floating around that they had little value, unless they were "special", thus the nickle. He got his while still in Japan, and it looks like new, but to me it is not very attractive in nickle.

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Many old war guns were chromed few were real nickle. After WW II many Vets went to work in Truck and Auto Plants. They chromed all manner of things. I have seen many rare Lugars and Walthers chromed . Just think if they had brought back Glocks and tried to chrome plastic pistols. We would be finding "Silver Globs" at gun shows.:eek:

18. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Jim Wilson calls those Glocks, Prophylactic Pistols. Now, chroming one of those, Durango, just leaves an image in your mind that is difficult to get rid of....

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Was ready to suggest that but its been said :)

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure you can "chrome plate" a Glock. Just use aluminum spray paint....Walmart $1.97.....

One thing about it, you sure as hell couldn't hurt the looks of the Glock.;)