Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been thinking about getting a nickel plated Cimarron pistol, though i'm not sure due to the possiblity of flaking that could occur after prolonged use. Should I go with a Chrome Tristar? What are your thoughts. If the Cimarron pistol is the better option what cleaning methods could I do to prevent flaking?

· Supporting Member
15,484 Posts
Number 1 never use any Stainless Cleaning Brushes on the gun. Brass or Plastic only.
And regular mild cleaning solvents, like Hoppes for example. Good Lube like BreakFree or other good lubes. No harsh cleaners.
And no steel cleaning rods.
I like the Dewey coated cleaning rods. And some make a good solid plastic cleaning or aluminum rods.
Because as you know, once chrome chips it is all over but the shouting.

Reactions: Southernguns

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Number 1 never use any Stainless Cleaning Brushes on the gun. Brass or Plastic only.
And regular mild cleaning solvents, like Hoppes for example. Good Lube like BreakFree or other good lubes. No harsh cleaners.
And no steel cleaning rods.
I like the Dewey coated cleaning rods. And some make a good solid plastic cleaning or aluminum rods.
Because as you know, once chrome chips it is all over but the shouting.

Thanks. Aside from break free, what other lubes shoud I use? Also, I noticed a 03 at the end of your comment. What was it?

· Supporting Member
15,484 Posts
There are a lot of good lubricants out there. I mostly use Breakfree and I also use G-96, Slip 2000. But with any lubricant I always shake it up before using. And especially Breakfree which if it sets for a while it will separate into three parts. It is excellent lubricant, but one just needs to remember to shake it before use. I have used it for years.
And IMO there is also nothing better than G-96. We used it exclusively at the weapons manufacturer I worked for on the AR-15s and Full Auto ARs.
As far as the 03 that is just the short version of my Avitar Sniper03! And 03 was the year I retired from the SWAT. Team as an LE SWAT Sniper.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There are a lot of good lubricants out there. I mostly use Breakfree and I also use G-96, Slip 2000. But with any lubricant I always shake it up before using. And especially Breakfree which if it sets for a while it will separate into three parts. It is excellent lubricant, but one just needs to remember to shake it before use. I have used it for years.
And IMO there is also nothing better than G-96. We used it exclusively at the weapons manufacturer I worked for on the AR-15s and Full Auto ARs.
As far as the 03 that is just the short version of my Avitar Sniper03! And 03 was the year I retired from the SWAT. Team as an LE SWAT Sniper.

Is Bristol a good enough one? I use that after every trip to my gun range.

· Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Hi. I've been thinking about getting a nickel plated Cimarron pistol, though i'm not sure due to the possiblity of flaking that could occur after prolonged use. Should I go with a Chrome Tristar? What are your thoughts. If the Cimarron pistol is the better option what cleaning methods could I do to prevent flaking?
Cleaning methods won't prevent or cause flaking if a brush or tool that's steel or harder than the plating is avoided. If the plating is good and the gun is cared for, flaking shouldn't be a problem though it CAN happen. Flaking on plated guns is common because they were used and or abused. It's the nature of the process.

Concerning prolonged use of a gun or most things mechanical for that matter, expect it to show use somehow. A mechanical thing that is used much will usually show the use in some way. Used guns, for example don't look like not used guns. Guns were made to shoot. Shooting causes wear beginning with the first shot. Shoot guns and enjoy them.

· Supporting Member
15,484 Posts
Merc3

I believe you meant "Ballistol"? And yes, it is good also.
And no worries with a blued gun. The only thing with them is with a "LOT" of use over time they can get Holster wear which rubs some of the blue off the Slide by the Muzzle.. But that depends on the holster and excessive wear. The good news is the blued guns can be re-blued and look new again. And also there are various options regarding the finish or bluing. To refinish them you have many options. From a military parkerized finish in various shades to the bluing the gun came with or get a real bright deep blue that almost looks black and deep. But no chipping! To me I very much like good, blued guns first of all followed by stainless guns. But I also like a good stainless gun that has been polished to look like chrome. Which might be another option for consideration?
Nothing wrong with the Nickel Chrome and very good looking when new. But with a lot of use the shiny finish can get scratched and if they chip you know the answer there!
But the "want" and like is in the eyes of the beholder! (y)

· Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Merc3

I believe you meant "Ballistol"? And yes, it is good also.
And no worries with a blued gun. The only thing with them is with a "LOT" of use over time they can get Holster wear which rubs some of the blue off especially by the Muzzle and sometimes maybe on the Cylinder. But that depends on the holster and excessive wear. The good news is the blued guns can be re-blued and look new again. And also there are various options regarding bluing. You can match the bluing the gun came with or get a real bright blue that almost looks black and deep, almost a black plastic look. But no chipping! To me I am a blue gun or stainless gun guy!

You and me both, Sniper. There's nothing nicer looking than a well polished, blued revolver like S&W used to do back in the day. You have at least one I believe. I have one and it's a little beauty meant for carry and, yes, some bluing is worn. It's functional so no issue with me. I like a gun that shows normal use. It just adds character to me. Also have two stainless revolvers I like. Not enough maintenance to worry about other than keeping them clean. (y)

· Premium Member
5,476 Posts
I’m with Primer on this one. If you’re going to want a shiny gun, just go with stainless. When I was looking to buy a 1911, I didn’t care much about the finish. I did care about the quality. I ended up with a Ruger SR 1911, and that is stainless , and it didn’t cost that much more than most of the cheaper guns.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m with Primer on this one. If you’re going to want a shiny gun, just go with stainless. When I was looking to buy a 1911, I didn’t care much about the finish. I did care about the quality. I ended up with a Ruger SR 1911, and that is stainless , and it didn’t cost that much more than most of the cheaper guns.
After this I was thinking about chrome, but are there issues with that aswell? If so I could go for stainless.

· Supporting Member
15,484 Posts
Merc3

Here are pictures of polished stainless steel 1911 Pistols.
And in the bottom picture it could be polished more if you wanted it to look like chrome!

\
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

· Premium Member
S&W 637-2, SIG 365 Subcompact
13,603 Posts
Chrome is a plating process too, ever see chrome peeling off bumpers on old cars, door handles, etc? Stainless "stains less" than blued finishes, but stainless can always be buffed or polished out. Highly polished stainless is near identical to chrome, it just looks a little bit darker tone than chrome.

"Stains less": a friend cleaned up his stainless .22 pistol while eating those delicious salty chips. Weeks/ months later he pulled it out of the box and there were rusty fingerprints on the barrel. Lesson learned for him, he used a scotch Brite pad to buff out the spots.

· Supporting Member
15,484 Posts
The question always is asked does stainless steel weapons rust? Yes, it can!
As Primer's example of the guy eating the salty chips, yes, stainless will rust but not as easily as a normal gun steel. But the reason is because it is not all stainless. True 100% stainless cannot be hardened to that asrequired by firearms. So, the stainless metal we see consists also of other materials.
Stainless: 17-4—An alloy with 17 percent chromium and 4 percent nickel. 17-4 is readily hardened and is used in barrels, bolts and receivers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts