Nickel Boron or piston

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ZSF76, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ZSF76

ZSF76 New Member

First post, and I'm excited to learn a few things.
    I've started my first AR build recently. So far I have a ST stripped lower and Magpul MIAD in OD green. I'm waiting on a few things to come in, the biggest is a ST enhanced LPK with the combat trigger. I bought it mainly for the nickel boron parts.
    My question is this: if I buy a nickel boron BCG, is there really any added benefit to paying for a piston driven upper? Also, does anyone know if the Magpul BAD lever will work with an ambi mag release?
    I have a Magpul ASAP and an Omega Tactical buffer tube kit coming in also. All I need is an MOE stock in OD, BAD, and ambi mag release to complete my lower. Then the upper hunt begins!

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If your going to use a piston upper why are you looking at buying a direct imping BCG ?
    or maybe Im just misunderstanding the question

3. ZSF76

ZSF76 New Member

No, it's either or. Looking at either a DI BCG with Ni Boron, or a piston upper.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No need for a piston upper, no need for a nickel boron bolt either. If it comes down to want, fine, that's up to you. Again no need. I'd put that money into things that matter.

5. ZSF76

ZSF76 New Member

Ok, want it is! I want Ni Boron. Seems to function better with grit and dirt. Really just want to know if the piston upper is worth the extra cost.
    What would be a better use of the cash?

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Piston upper ,It makes for a heavier rifle to start with , its really unneeded for standard / basic use , I would look into putting that extra money in a high quality optic , trigger assembly or like stated above something that matters . I see some guys unloading there piston uppers for DI uppers because of the additional weight and no performance gain

7. ZSF76

ZSF76 New Member

I've read that on several forums now. Can't see spending 2-3 times the cost of a DI upper if there's no real gain. That solves the dilemma for me, thanks!
    How about the ambi mag release and BAD lever combo? Any insight into that? Will it work?

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree, better to save the money on piston and nickel boron and buy the best upper and optic you can afford.

9. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

I own a NiB and it performs no better than my mil-spec phosphate ones, it's just easier to clean. I think i would spend my money elsewhere on your rifle - I'll use mine, but didn't need it. DI is fine, piston imo gains you nothing, but weight and again, you can spend that money elsewhere that it does matter - better barrel, better trigger, better optics

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have a coated piston gun and like it but if I had it to do over again I would purchased another DI instead.

A good lube will handle any job.

11. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Piston will gain you a cleaner Bolt Carrier Group. You'll appreciate it when it comes to cleaning and maintenance time, your trigger group will also remain much cleaner. MY opinion here but there's something to be gained by a piston setup keeping the carbon from being redirected back to your Bolt Carrier Group. Also - you can now add bit of grease to your Bolt Carrier Group that I would not advise when using direct impingement uppers.

Comparing my Colt LE6920/Colt 6601 side by side with my gas piston guns the gas piston guns are so much cleaner at cleanup time.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Why would you not advise using grease in a DI AR?

--------------

People clean their firearms? Maybe I should start.

That whole easier to clean thing has merit but the carbon still collects in your firearm, it's just in a different location.

13. lunarmanathome

I'm curious too about that comment. I use moly-lithium on the wear points of my bolt and carrier with zero effect on the utility of my firearm.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I asked the question knowing he wouldn't have a credible answer ;). We'll never get anything of substance if we get anything at all.

15. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I've been known to use transmission fluid.:D I use brake cleaner afterwards to clean it. I am really lazy.:p But my guns still fire every time.

16. dickpalmer

dickpalmer New Member

On a DI you get a lot of residue all over the bolt and carrier, the grease gives the residue an attachment point turning the grease into an abrasive rubbing compound . The piston only gets a little residue from the primers therefore the grease stays a lot cleaner. I still use a little grease anyway whichever system I'm using.

17. dickpalmer

dickpalmer New Member

If you really want a slick system go with NP3 Plus and a piston. No cleaning, no lubing. An infantry mans dream.

18. lunarmanathome

Riiiiight.

Funny how all the piston automatic weapons (M60, Mk43, 249's and 240's) I ever used in the service (28 years) were just as filthy as the DI M16's I carried.

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I use grease out of a tube. I apply it to my DIs, AK, Rem 1100, 870, and piston AR w/ a q-tip in generous amounts. It's like $5 at WalMart. The action is smooth, very smooth.

20. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

People are really buying into POF's bait hook line and sinker.