Nice knife bad pics

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Dan308, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

Just finished this one and took some pics. I just can't seem to get the detail to come out on the handle.

Here are the specs
    #106 Hunter
    1095 High Carbon, clay quenched in water
    Overall length 8 in.
    Blade cutting edge 3 3/4 in.
    Height 1 1/8 in.
    Stabilized Amboyna Burl bolsters
    Stabilized elk antler
    Mosaic brass pin
    Handmade leather sheath

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I don't know anything about knives, but it look beautiful to me.

3. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

thanks, the look of the elk antler doesn't come through in the pics. I don't do a lot of bolsters with dovetails but I really liked the way this one came out. I was hoping for better detail.

4. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

The second picture of the three is the home screen on my phone. Beautiful work Dan

5. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Very impressed as always looking at your work..

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Nice work. I like the knife a lot.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Looks like a nice knife. Good job.

8. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

I'm going to have to get a better camera. this sony just isn't cutting it. I lose so much detail.

Anyway here's a new one in Black Ash burl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

That's spectacular.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Might be my favorite yet.

11. Werminator

Werminator Member

You're right... the pictures make these blades look so cheap and worthless you should probably send any and all of those which you have photographed with that particular camera my direction for proper disposal before they give you a bad reputation!

12. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Sure is a fine looking knife.I would ask her out to the prom.

13. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Blood Letting.....................

Why the heck would any one want a polished knife handle, other than to stick it on the wall. And what good is the knife................If you want colour, use a small propane torch to scorch the handle in certain areas and different shades. Then polish the heck out of it......................The only time a slick handle is safe is when the blood from you or the animal makes it sticky.......:eek:;)

14. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

wait...you're going to take a propane torch to a $45 piece of stabilized wood? Save that kind of thing for junk like condors, beckers, moras they usually come with pallet slats for handles.

My knives won't slip in your hand. I've used them for 8+ years skinning elk, javelina and the like. Up to my elbows in blood and guts, never had a problem.

15. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Burn baby burn..................

With practice, the torch won't harm the material. It adds colour and beauty to the handle if done right.............I don't use a wood that'll rot or crack from being in the sun too long. My yard knives have handles made from the same material they use in valves for the chem. and oil field serv..........30 plus years, the blade will be gone and all thats left is the handle............lol

16. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

The wood on this knife is Black ash burl, dyed and stabilized. At $45 I don't think I could afford to practice much.

Do you have any pics of the wood you use and burn?

17. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

I'd be interested to see your handy work.

18. Fun_tymes

Fun_tymes New Member

http://wildboarblades.com

This guy makes them himself. He has had some sweet pieces. I suggest him to anyone who likes knives. He's based outta Washington. Check it out.

19. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Random plug?

Cool stag grip pictured there. Since this thread was started by DT to share some of his handy work... I'd like to see more of his or even the Burned Grip Guy since they make knives.

20. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

Gee where do you think I get them? Walmart? I make them one at a time by hand. I hand cut everything and hand pick all materials.