NIB. Is it really "new"?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by paul, Jul 8, 2011.

1. paul

paul New Member

What can be done if you think a FFL dealer sold a slightly used, expertly cleaned, firearm, as a "NIB", and you discover this after purchase? Fortunately, I never had this happen but my friend did once with a Colt revolver.

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Let the buyer beware.

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

If it's a valuable collectors item and the value has dramatically decreased, and you have proof that it was not new, you can try a civil court lawsuit action.

If it's a regular on the street, in the holster, go to the range gun, probably nothing. You won't be able to prove it wasn't NIB.

4. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Did it come with a shell casing or was it transferred through a state like MD which requires a shell casing? They may have fired it for that purpose.

First thing I would do is talk with the dealer directly and tell them that you believe the gun to be used and see what they say or offer to do for you.

If your not satisfied with their response/action, file a claim with the BBB. I've had good luck using the BBB to cause business's to change their response towards me.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

ALL modern reputable firearms are fired at the factory with a proof load. The only modern firearm that is not "proofed" might be a commerative heavily embellished collector piece. Most of those would have some sort of a disclaimer to defray some liability.

IMHO, firing a gun a few rounds does not affect the "newness" of the gun. I bought a S&W 629 that some idiot had purchased new, shot 12 rounds and brought it back. The shop gave him about half waht he had paid for it and threw in a roll of wax paper to keep his candy azz from sticking to the seat. I picked it up for $295. Pretty damn good deal for a "like" new 4" stainless .44 Mag.

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

That's funny stuff!! [​IMG]

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You see less than completely honest businessmen everywhere.

Why do you simply trust a gun dealer because he's a gun dealer?

I got a clean, name-brand, supposedly NIB 1911A1 which I suspect was

cleaned and resold as NIB.

It was stovepiping, as many 1911s do before the 250 round break-in.

I suspect the original owner put a couple mags through it, and took it

back because it wasn't functioning flawlessly.

I broke it in, cleaned and lubed it properly, and now it functions flawlessly.

Since it's a shooter, it doesn't bother me too much. I'd have been

pissed if it was a collector's item, tho...

8. paul

paul New Member

Gun is it really NIB?

I wonder if the S/N could be reaserched to see if it had been sold before, If so, then it would be easy enough to prove that a consumer was sold a used gun as a new gun. I think that it's really unethical and sad that some one who owns a store would do that. I imagine the folks who monitor FFL's would be very interested in a store doing that. For goodness sake, I understand that the gun, a COLT, was sold without a labeled box, lock or manual. It's time a unethical place like this gets an education in treating people fair. Thank you for prompt reply.

9. freefall

freefall New Member

How can it be New In Box if you don't get a box?:cool:

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

NIB means complete with box, papers, and accessories, and that is has not previously been sold at retail. EVERY gun will have been fired- at least a proof firing- and handguns will now include a sample fired case required by some states.

If you are going to sell me a NIB, but it is not IN the box, it is time to begin wheeling and dealing, bubba. Yu may have a LIKE new-in-box, but you ain't got a NIB.

11. paul

paul New Member

Gun NIB?

It was in a "unlabeled" box, not without a box.

I'm not the purchaser.

Yes C3Shooter, IMHO, those items you listed are required for a gun to be a NIB purchase. By the way C3, Thank you sir, for your many valuable, useful and intelligent replies, they have been a benefit to many people on this forum.:)

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Usually when I buy a rifle NIB, OK, it's a cardboard box.

ALL the name brand pistols I've purchased NIB came in a

lockable plastic case inside the cardboard box, with

all the stuff C3shooter(sir) said...

13. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

As one of the guys i buy guns from says, we call it product quality testing...

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Which, I guess, is funny, IF you're buying the gun as a shooter...