Nfl

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AusLach, Nov 28, 2010.

1. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

I'm watching some of the NFL games that are being broadcast over here and I'm really enjoying them. I must say though, (and this will probably get me flamed or even run off the forum :p), but you blokes are all a bunch of pu$$ies!!! :eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaw99tigJso&feature=fvw]YouTube - Rugby Biggest Hits of the Decade[/ame]

This is a compilation of hits from the game we play over here. Yeah there's some big hits in the NFL but rugby players attack AND defend, without armour and for 80 mins straight with only a 10 minute halftime..

We had some US exchange students come to school one year, the first schoolyard match was pretty eye-opening for them I'm sure! :D

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

We do have Cage Fighting...

3. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Ahh, touche' ;)

4. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Rugby is a rough sport, won't get an argument from me! Problem is that over here nobody knows the game. I'll bet half our people have never even seen a match.

There are some pretty good teams at the college level over here, not world class by any means, but they are enthusiastic. My oldest boy played for his college team and is a real fan of the game. I think since the Invictus movie there might be a little more interest in Rugby, but its not really much of a deal over here.

I didn't see Donk in the clips? Now that fella looked like a rugby player! One of my favorite movie lines, from the second Crocodile Dundee movie, "Oh I don't need a gun, I've got a Donk".

Now if you want to talk about a real pu$$ie game, lets get into Cricket!! What the heck is that all about, bowlers and wickets, it don't even sound manly!!!:D:)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I agree, NFL compared to Rugby, Rugby wins. Now, some of the NFL players can put a hit; but, that is with the padding/helmet as the buffer zone of safety. I am not sure if they would play rugby and hit the same way. Even with the protection, some of the hits players are getting hurt, the NFL is starting to get agressive on the crackin down.

I do not know what the injuries are in rugby; but, with the padding and hard hitting going down in the NFL, has injuries at a high rate. Concussion = Brain Injury even with the helmet.

I love to watch both, playing is out of the question is the injuries/damage happened while on active duty.

This is just my two cents!

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Rugby is a rough sport and so is Aussie Rules Football. The hits are not the same, though. Rugby hits come at a shorter distance by slower players. Just sayin. I played a little bit (ver little) at the club level in college and I played football at the high school level. Water polo is probably tougher than both.

Check out some of the NFL's greatest hits videos. Keep in mind that NFL players range in size from nearly 400#'s (divide by 2.2 for kilo conversion) to about 180#'s. Even the larger players are tremendous athletes.

7. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Don't get me wrong, you'll find no argument from me about the athleticism of NFL players. It's certainly a different type of strength and speed, but those guys are immensely powerful. And I agree about the water polo statement :eek:

Did you play Union or League? Because while I'll admit RU hits come off a shorter distance, RL defenders are forced to stand at least 10 yards in front of the advantage line and attacking players star out usually ten behind it as well, so there is an awful lot of speed and inertia involved in a collision.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'm not sure if it was Union or League. Something tells me that the Collegiate Club level had some different rules. I did not play much or very long and this was over 20 years ago. Very rough sport, yes. Fun, absolutely.

Keep in mind that in the NFL, they are the best of the best. The best high school players play in college. The best college players play in the NFL. Even the worst player on the team was a superstar in high school. With all of the money to be made in the NFL, how come rugby players don't try to make it in the NFL? Do they make that much down there?

9. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

I have no idea what the average NFL player makes but Greg Inglis, who is one of the world's best NRL players has just signed a three year deal worth $1.8 million. I imagine this is nothing compared to the NFL and I have no idea why more players don't make the move. Different skill sets I suppose..

I don't for one second doubt that NFL players are extremely talented athletes, however this wasn't meant to be an argument over which game was better. I posted it with tongue firmly implanted in cheek about the fact that they wear so much padding etc when the rest of the world manages without. :rolleyes: I absolutely love watching your game and can clearly see the toughness and skill needed to play it, I just wanted to open your eyes to how the rest of us play footy :p

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Yeah, $1.8 mil for 3 years is not much more than the league minimum in the NFL. The salaries are kind of obscene but nothing compared to what the team owners make. Still, with all of the money they make, the players still get arrested for drinking and driving, drugs, shooting themselves in the leg (or sack), domestic violence, battery and on and on. Money does not make smart...The average time spent in the NFL is something like 3.5 years and their contracts are not always guaranteed. They do have a strong union. :rolleyes:

Well, I have a ton of respect for the way you Aussies do things. Aussie = tough in my book. :) I used to want to play Aussie Rules Football as it looks like a ton of fun.

11. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

your totally missing the point of football usa style. football as it exists today is purely a vehicle to keep the american male focused on the tv in order to bombard them with commercials. it has nothing to do with sports. where else do you see men watching other men in tight pants. the quarter back sticks his hand in another man's junk and tickles his testicles for fun... personally i think its a ridiculous sport.

12. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

BLASPHEMY!!!

I love college football(GOOO FSU) but usually go a whole regular season without watching NFL football.

13. zhuk

zhuk New Member

And it goes for 5 days....the only game so boring they have a 'seagull count' lol. What they don't have in physical contact they make up for in the art of 'sledging' ie verbal insulting of opposing players for fun & competitive profit:

Rodney Marsh (Australia) and Ian Botham (England)

Rodney Marsh to Ian Botham in an Ashes match: “So how’s your wife and my kids?” Ian Botham’s reply – “The wife’s fine. The kids are retarded!”

Glenn McGrath (Australia) and Ramnaresh Sarwan (West Indies)

McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: “So what does Brian Lara’s di*k taste like?

”Sarwan: “I don’t know. Ask your wife.

Glen McGrath (Australia) and Eddo Brandes (Zimbabwe)

Aussie paceman Glenn McGrath was bowling to Zimbabwe number 11 Eddo Brandes – who was just missing each ball.

McGrath, frustrated, went to him and inquired: “Why are you so fat?” Quick as a flash, Brandes replied, “Because every time I f*ck your wife, she gives me a biscuit.”

etc etc etc :rolleyes:

As for RL players not making the switch to US NRL...more probably don't because there's virtually no chance of growing up playing the game here. I grew up watching RU...my dad coming from (southern) England wasn't well disposed to League, used to call it "thugby" lol. Have watched NRL in the brief moments in can be found on free to air here, and found it pretty impressive...but relatively incomprehensible. And you have a guy who comes on to solely kick goals...uh what's with that? :D

14. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

15. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

16. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Badasses you say?? Every single player that has ever played for New Zealand...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJAjoCx6Euw&feature=related]YouTube - All Blacks Haka - Spot Adidas[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKa5NshwzRE]YouTube - Rugby All Black v South Africa - Kapa O Pango New Haka[/ame]

This is their 'Haka'. It is a traditional wardance performed by the Maori - the Pacific Islanders who are native to NZ, to intimidate thier opponents before battle... Works on me! :eek:

The second one is led by Tana Umaga, who was the biggest, baddest, scariest mo-fo in world Rugby until he retired. Great to watch :cool:

17. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Pretty damn inspiring...and intimidating on the receiving end! :D

Something the Kiwis do so very well; they have a world-beating rep for a good reason too.

(btw no sheep were harmed in the making of this post lol)

18. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I gave up on most professional sports years ago, but may need to look for some rugby. A co-worker plays in a semi pro league and he is barely civilized.

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

This is a pretty funny thread!! :D

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

If I had a guy weighing in around 325 that benched over 450 coming at me I'd be thanking God for padding.

Imagine Casey Hampton (Pittsburgh): who regularly benches 600 lbs and squats over 800 lbs coming at you. Or Larry Allen (San Francisco): The winner of the 2006 NFL Strongman competition. Allen blew away the compitition that year by bench-pressing 225 lbs 41 times.:eek: He shrugged it off claiming, "I usually never work out with a weight as small as 225 pounds so it wasn't too tough to get going."

I think I'd wrap my body in bubble wrap just to shake the mans hand.

Not taking away from Rugby. Those guys are beasts! But the two games are very different. NFL reminds me ore of Napoleonic style war with the battle lines clearly drawn.

It is very sad how the powers that be in the NFL are taking the teeth out of players these days in hopes of protecting the "important people" like quarterbacks and all star receivers claiming that's what people come to see. I can't rgink of a football fan that does not like an animal defensive guy. Offensive players get hit. Defensive players hit people. A simple truth is people are going to get hurt. It's the nature of the NFL beast.THey know the rich when they sign the huge a$$ contracts.

Pete Rozelle is probably spinning in his grave seeing the teeth taken out of defensive players these days.:(

I admittedly do not know a lot about Rugby. I do watch it from time to time. It looks like a blast to play. I really need to learn more about it before I make any real comparison. There is no denying the toughness of the players and I will never try to say the NFL is more tough. I just don't remember seeing any over 300 lb players in rugby. And that's probably a good thing.