NFA/trust Not needed for suppressr that came with a gun?

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by TM3TenraiSS, Oct 3, 2013.

1. TM3TenraiSS

TM3TenraiSS New Member

I was browsing the FB trading post page for my town (in Central TX) Someone had posted that they were looking to sell a MAC 10 (semi auto chambered in .22lr) after a little discussion they mentioned it comes with a suppressor when I informed them that I didnt have a Stamp or anything allowing me to have a suppressor they said "It is part of the original manufacture of the gun. You don't have to have an NFA for it." I've never heard of this before (I'm a newby so thats not surprising) I just want to make sure everythings on the up and up before I meet an unknown person to buy a gun off of. Anyone have any input or knowledge that could illuminate my situation.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

C3 would know. Doesn't sound right to me.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

some of the older mac10 were like that. they were grandfathered. however that only applies to the original owner at time of private registry. they are no longer grandfathered once they transfer so you would need a stamp for the gun and one for the suppressor buying it today.

best bet is to get the serial number and call up the nfa division and ask to be sure. those guys change their minds and rules faster than a teenage girl at an all boy teeny bop...

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Would he need a stamp for a semi-automatic?

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if it was manufactered as a rifle, it would need one for a SBR to be legal.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is either a set-up or is being watched by the BATF. This is a felony waiting to be tried.:eek:

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the question is about the suppressor. I'd ask the seller if it a true sound suppressor or just a fake suppressor that us really nothing more than a barrel shroud. I don't think a suppressor for a Mac10 clone in .22 lr would be old enough to be grandfathered in before the NFA of 1934, which was enacted prior to the design of the Mac10 that the .22 is a clone of.

A semi-automatic Mac10 clone itself could be sold as a pistol as long as there is no stock or provision to mount one.

So the seller may not be that educated either.

A properly registered suppressor would have to be transferred through an appropriately listened dealer and the ATF would have to be aware of the transfer, and the new purchaser would have to have the appropriate paperwork and taxes paid to purchase it.

Then I also noticed the OP lists his location as New York, so who knows. It could could be a Bloomberg trap. I'd hate to see a Sub qualed torpedoman get boned in the process of trying to buy a gun.

8. pomfirearms

pomfirearms New Member

I am guessing since it is a 22LR caliber that it may have come with a fake suppressor. Just for MAC10 look since I doubt that this could have been one that was grandfathered in since it is a 22 and not a 10mm like a MAC10 would be.

9. TM3TenraiSS

TM3TenraiSS New Member

Thanks Doc I asked if it was a faux suppressor according to the seller it isnt, I think I'm gonna steer clear of this sale, it smells fishy. Also I live in TX now I left NY once Cuomo passed the UNSafe Act

10. TM3TenraiSS

TM3TenraiSS New Member

Thats my thinking I just told em I couldnt buy it since the suppressor legality was unclear

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Original Ingram MAC10 (Military Armament Corporation, Model 10) was chambered in .45 ACP or optionally 9mm, designed in 1964 and produced from 1970-1973.

10mm auto was designed in 1983 as a project with Norma Ammunition and Jeff Cooper and introduced along with the Bren Ten automatic pistol, and made popular as Sonny Crocket's gun on the show Miami Vice

12. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

I'm not sure the MAC 10 was ever offered in .22LR, either.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IIRC, i think there were some knock-offs in 22 rimfire, but they weren't MAC 10's or 11's, just looked like one.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

The ones I was referring to were the nfa full auto. At the time they only needed one stamp.to cover mg and suppressor. The 22lr don't fall in that category as therewerent an fa ones like that that fit the mac10 integral exemption.

15. 1911love

1911love New Member

I had no idea it was ever offered in 10mm, only .45ACP, 9mm, and .380ACP. The 10mm version must be rare?

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said-run away from this as fast as you can. Either a fake suppressor or a fake seller. BAD ju-ju here.

17. TM3TenraiSS

TM3TenraiSS New Member

Thanks C3 I already emailed them and told em I couldnt buy. And thanks everyone else for the input, probably saved me from makin a mistake and ending up on the wrong end of some half assed ATF sting or something lol

18. AR10

AR10 New Member

When I was an FFL dealer, most all Mac pistols, or Mac look a likes were sold with a barrel tube that did nothing except protect the shooter from sweeping his left hand. They looked cool, and helped sell the gun.

Sold lots of them back in the day.

They added about $30 to the price of the gun. No tax stamp needed, as they provided no noise reduction.

19. TM3TenraiSS

TM3TenraiSS New Member

I already asked them if it was a fake they said no

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I agree with c3 here. Someone advertising a gun that doesn't exist with illegal modifications is likely a robber looking to get someones cash and their EDC. Whoever falls for this scheme will end up seeing his/her EDC used in an armed robbery or worse this weekend. I would forward any correspondence you had with this person to the sheriffs department. If he is on the up and up one of the deputies might want to purchase the gun. If he is what this deal appears to be the sheriffs department can nip a crime spree in the bud.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013