NFA law enforcement demo question

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by pomfirearms, Jul 19, 2013.

1. pomfirearms

pomfirearms New Member

I am a new SOT dealer and had a question. Now I understand the process of getting and submiting law demo letter to acquire a post demo firearm. My question is how to allow the law enforcement to demo the firearm after that. Do I have to be present for the demo or do I transfer it to them temporarily on a form 5 or similar. I am just figureing this out to determine if I want to even offer the demo service to local law enforcement. Thanks for any input or experience anyone can provide.

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

pom,

You need to be present at the demo! And one main reason also by Federal Law you would technically have to transfer the weapon to them which takes an unreasonable amount of time and then they would have to transfer it back to you which takes a ton more of time with the NFA Folks. And even if you could you might have another demo but would not have the gun. So even if you did the transfer it technically is an impossible issue. So the answer is go do the demo with them. You must be present with the weapon. Wotrking in the past for a weapons manufacturer as National Rep & Trainer. I kept two complete lower receivers with me. One Semi and One Auto, One Semi Carrier Group and One Auto Carrier Group and one Complete Upper. Of course head space checked OK with both Carriers. Something you might want to consider when demoing. Keeps you from packing two complete weapons around. So you can do a Semi Demo or an Auto Demo anywhere you go and only need one gun case or bag.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

3. pomfirearms

pomfirearms New Member

I am starting to research getting law demo sample firearms. Anyone know if DPMS or Bushmaster will make a selectfire demo AR rifle for me or is it best to get one elsewhere due to the long back order of AR rifles. I would hate to wait a year or two to get a law demo.

4. WestForkArmory

WestForkArmory New Member

5. WestForkArmory

WestForkArmory New Member

[ame]http://youtu.be/MWzVUtNj3iI[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/R8np5c_VtgI[/ame]