Next Xbox requires internet connection, blocks used games?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I will not purchase any xbox now or in the near future, based on this.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the...hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...CK-second-hand-video-games.html#axzz2KEhJ7poI

No used games on next Xbox?

A report from Edge Online, citing sources with first hand experience of Microsoft's next generation Xbox console, suggests that the anticipated console will not allow used games. Even though games will be sold in physical form, they will come with activation codes that are useless beyond the initial user.

The report also says that the new Xbox will require a constant Internet connection to function, with a huge Xbox Live overhaul to be a core part of the system.

Games sold in physical form will be on 50GB Blu-ray discs, according to the report.

2. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Yeah ill be on the 360 for a while longer after this comes out

3. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

That's what EA games have been doing in a way. If you buy their games used you then have to buy an online pass, but if you buy new it's then free to play online. Everything seems like it's going to crap. I'm glad that the PS3 is free to play online for now.

4. longunner

longunner New Member

I will never own another Xbox after they refused to replace my two month old 360 that had the red ring of death. Plus I think it's BS that you have to pay for live...guess that's why bill gates has more money than I ever will :eek:

5. Logan901

Logan901 New Member

Yea, but it IS a PS3. Ain't worth a s**t.

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The Xbox 360 was my first system since the 3DO... And it will probably be my last......

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

You are talking about the system that makes you pay to play online, right? I know for sure you are not talking about the PS3.

8. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

My brother had the 3DO and the Atari Jaguar.

9. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Not too sure what everyone is crying about, my 360 is on and running constantly. The price of live is a touch high but not too bad. We only really play one game on XBOX, the rest is Netflix, Xfinity (which I hate) and a few other streaming services. I'm guessing the next XBOX will almost put the final nail in the coffin of the PC.

10. Major Kusanagi

Major Kusanagi New Member

It's all speculation at this point. What a lot of people inside the industry think will happen is that most games will require an online pass just to play the game regardless whether it is new or used. That way it ensures that the publisher is still turning profit to a certain extent. Considering this is what a lot of publishers are doing now, I don't see that as being too far from the truth in the future with the next console generation. MS and Sony aren't stupid and know full well that a good chunk of gamers buy their games used. I don't think you guys have anything to worry about.

11. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

With the new machines, pushing a used game from Best Buy, Game Stop or whoever else, cannot be played on the new machine.

I have Xfinity, it is good; but, usually fire it up on the computer online for older movies.

I know some gamers that worship xbox, i.e. that is their play toy.

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Meh ... I'd probably be better off reading some books anyhow ;)

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have the PS3, XBOX360 and the Wii. I prefer the PS3. My son like the XBOX. But the Wii is still like new. That is becuse no one plays it.

14. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

i use TV. rabbit ear 360 works fine.

15. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Dont buy it...

16. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Good lord how do you all have time to play kiddie games? I am too busy with family, work, guns, shooting, hunting, fishing, riding quads, romancing my wife. I hardly have time to sleep. Maybe some of you need to get OUT DOORS more. Just the view from an old fart.

17. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

If you take out riding quads and fishing then you would have time!!! Just a view from a middle aged fart.

18. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I like Ninetendo because of the reverse compatibly they build in, Microsoft seems to have no need for it. Won't get my business.

19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Ever want to rent a game before you buy for $60 and see if you like it? If this is true then you won't be able to do that. Your friend wants to bring over a game to your house and play it, he will have to bring his entire gaming system with him.

Do you ever still play old game systems? I play Super Nintendo sometimes still, if this plan goes through then this gaming system would stop working when Microsoft decides to stop supporting it.

Imagine buying a gun and it only works when you specifically request to use it from the manufacturer and if they ever decide to stop supporting you it stops working forever. That's what this plan would mean.

It is just speculation at this point but it would not be unheard of in the gaming industry. The results usually mean pushing customers elsewhere or high rates of piracy.

20. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I wish I woulda never sold my 3DO. Greatest.. System.. Ever!

I miss the shooting games, remember those live action ones? What ever happened to those??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd4917IGtQs