Next Rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JiroZero713, Oct 25, 2011.

1. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

What do you think?

Arsenal AK SGL21 in 7.62X39?
    [​IMG]

ORRR

Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308....I already have an SKS but I do not have a .308 in my caliber collection.

[​IMG]

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Ruger might be interesting with the right scope. It requires a long eye relief or pistol scope. Possibly an EOTech or red dot. I would look to see what kind of optic you would want on it before jumping.

3. JiroZero713

I was going to scope it with a long Eye Relief or possibly a Vortex Strike fire.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i was looking at 308s a little bit ago. i went with savage 10FCP-SR. threaded barrel 5/8-24 thread pitch, accutrigger, accustock, 10 round box mag uses the same mags as the ruger scout.

[​IMG]

ive always considered the scout rifle bolt gun to be nothing but a gimmick. it doesnt really do much well. cant put a good longrange scope on it. its too slow an action for quick follow ups. doesnt make any sense to even have an optic on such a design much less using a red dot. the scout doesnt even allow for a good set of superior iron sights. the stock sights are a joke.

if your going to get a 308 and you want long range firepower with fast follow ups an AR10 is a no brainer. can mount easily very high quality irons or a good long or shortrange scope

if you want a long range bolt gun there are a LOT better options than a ruger scout.

if you just like the way it looks and like the ruger m77 design nothing wrong with that. just dont expect it to be anything target grade quality.

just my opinion.

5. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I did see the Ruger Scout featured on some show. It was stated that it had a short stout barrel that was design to put a lot of shots down range and still hold a good group. The host then fired 10 rounds to show how well it grouped. The host also stated that few other guns could fire that many shots that fast and still group that well. I'm liking that gun more and more after seeing that. It's maneuverable, simple, tough, and can throw a lot of lead down range fairly accurately. It's not going to outshine any other gun in any one category, but it would make a good tough as nails jack of all trades.

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I've heard nothing, but good things about the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.

7. JTJ

you are going to lose quite a bit of velocity in that short barrel. If you reload, you can compensate some with faster burning powder. 300 yards is probably the max so a high power scope is not an advantage. The short stiff barrels do hold accuracy and grouping very well. I used to load for an 18" barreled 243 that was capable of 1 hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds. It was the most accurate rifle I have ever shot.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  8. JiroZero713

If I want a rifle accurate passed 300 yards I'll get one. I just want a jack of all trades rifle to add to my collection...and the Scout rifle looks like one of those rifles.

You are going to lose about 200 FPS in a 16 inch barrel but that's just fine for me as it's going to be a 100-300 yard gun. Good for deer hunting and well human hunting.

9. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

That Ruger looks like it would be a hoot. Either way what ever you decide to go with don't forget to fill us in. :D

10. JiroZero713

And what's good is money is not an issue at all.

Getting the rest of my 25,000 bonus on the 1st more than likely.

Gonna looooove that 15 Grand showing up in my bank account.

11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Ruger gunsite scout

I read the write up in Guns and ammo, originally they wanted to use M-14 mags in the rifle but due to variances in mag quality they couldent be used due to feeding issues, they have a specially fitted mag just for the (RGS)http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/ruger-gunsite-scout-review/

Mossberg just came out with ther AR mag-Capable .223 Bolt Gun (Mossberg Varmint Predator aka. MVP) ther bolt has a special finger on the bottom of the bolt that when drawn to the rear to feed a fresh round swivels down to strip a fresh round from a AR mag (negating the Ruger special mag fitting problem) see the Nov/Dec issue of Peterson's Rifle Shooter
    Mossberg MVP Varmint rifle with 5.56mm AR-15 magazine | The Firearm Blog

from the numbers on the accuracy chart on the Mossberg MVP I'll sit a bit and wate for them to use there patented method and come out with a scout type rifle that can use m-14mags as they will be able to do what Ruger couldnt (make a generic mag work in a bolt rifle)

Accuracy of the MVP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what I read by gun writer Scott Rupp
    from his factory sample rifle, features the LBA trigger (Lightning Bolt Action)
    started with factory set (adjustable) trigger at 3.1/4# out the box, he adjusted it to 2.5 pounds
    Scoped with Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 on weaver style base, Burris ZEE steel med Rings
    Caliber: 5.56NATO
    Butt stock 13" length of pull, Rifle OAL is 43"
    Weight 7.25# empty (minus mag)
    BBL 24" med Bull, Fluted, 1:9 twist, Varmit crown
    Benchrest style gray laminated stock

100 yd 3round groups
    Hornady Superformance NTX -35gr, 1.115"
    Winchester ballistic Silvertip -36gr, 0.89"
    Hornady V-Max - 40gr, 0.76"
    BlackHills V-Max - 50gr, 0.46"
    Black Hills V-Max - 50gr, 1.07" .....at 200yds
    Federal Sierra GameKing - 55gr, 1.12"
    Black Hills Barnes MPG - 55gr, 0.60"
    Federal Ballistic Tip - 55gr, 1.03"
    Winchester Power Point - 64gr, 1.01"

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  12. JTJ

The Mossberg looks great but it is not .308.
    This isnt either but interesting.
    CZ-USA -> CZ 527 Carbine
    Available in 7.62x39.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  13. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

I really like the look of the ruger. I literally have no experience with bolt actions so I'm not bringing much to this. A bolt gun will be my next purchase though.