Next Rifle

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jo da Plumbr, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Now that my first AR is securely in the safe my greedy little mind is thinking what next. Should I do another AR platform in a larger Caliber? Stag has a 6.8 lower that is reasonably priced. They say the 6.8 has 80% of the stopping power as the 7.62 with ½ the recoil. But it looks like 6.8 ammo costs more than 7.62.

Or should I be happy with the one AR and go with a more conventional rifle. Maybe a Remington 750 semi auto in 30/06 or 308. Or should I pony up the almost 2k for the Springfield A1?

Anyone want to talk me down out of my tree? Or better yet climb on up and help me obsess?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I think you need a .30 caliber bolt gun to be honest.

Something that can shoot Minute of Angle and something that can put food on the table, or stop the Space Zombies from breaching the far lines while you sit safely WAY back over there. :D

JD

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had an SA M1A Scout Squad with composite stock. I had to sell it because of financial issues, otherwise I would still have it. It was a soft shooter, accurate and handled beautifully. You can't go wrong with one. Ammunition is still available although a bit pricey.

I had a DSArms FAL before the M1A, and it was also an excellent rifle. However, CA required a fixed mag because of the pistol grip and evil features.
    I perceived the recoil to be a bit harsh and I'm not particularly recoil sensitive. It just wasn't fun to shoot. The M1A in contrast was a pleasure to shoot both for recoil and ergonomics.

I am not an AR guy, so I have zero input for you there.

My current battle rifle is a 1943 Springfield M1 Garand. It's a shooter for sure and an accurate and honorable old warhorse. It's heavy, and limited to eight rounds, but I would stake my life on it.

I don't know if this helps any, but I enjoyed writing it. ;)

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Any makes and models I should put on my want list?

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I think the only help for my obsession would be Zanex!:eek:

6. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

A man of yer stature and fortune should always have one of these :p
    [​IMG]

7. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

I think that your next rifle should be a 7.62 SUR... If you can, buy the Sprinfield M1A in .308... that's a hell of a rifle, and of course an F.N FAL (DSA stg58 with 18" or 21" barrel) would be nice too... A bolt action .308 or 30-06 would be nice too if you don't have one yet...

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I think that's a big plus of the M1A over the Rem 750. The M1A is chambered for 7.62 so it can shoot NATO or 308. The Rem just shoots 308.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you go with an M1A, you won't be disappointed. If you are, I'll give you $50. cash money and take it off your hands. :D

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sako TRG

Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA / Howa 1500

Or you can piece one together and spend $5K. :eek:

11. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

This HOWA in 308 looks good. I wish it was solid wood not laminate. Anyone have a laminated stock? How are they?

Attached Files:

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am afraid I don't know a hell of a lot about the laminates. They aren't a real popular item in our shop. Someone is either getting a custom wood model made or they are ordering in a custom composite.

The Howa is a hell of an action. It's CNC machined in Japan though - so if buying US is important, that would rule them and the Vanguard out ( same action with subtle differences ).

However, for the money, the Vanguard with the SUB MOA accuracy guarantee is a great package right now.

You might also want to look at the Savage #10 FCP with a 24” heavy barrel, all steel bottom metal with the Accu-trigger and an H-S Precision stock for about $750.

JD

13. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

I have had my eye on the M-14 for a while. You might look into that.

14. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I believe the Springfield M1A is the civilian version of the M-14. On the list, and Springfield makes one that is Calif. Kommi Ready.

Attached Files:

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*shaking head sadly*

You guys and your love for that crazy op rod driven platform.......:rolleyes:

JD

16. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

Oh... My bad, I thought that you were referring to the M1A Carbine.

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I have that gun in .223. I have no complaints of the laminate stock other than when you sweat it does not soak into the rifle at all and it becomes a bit slick but I don't want sweat soaking into the stock so.... It's a very nice looking stock with a large thumbhole and I have the heavy barrel on it. That is a very heavy gun, incredibly accurate from a bench or supported position but to heavy for me to consistently hit water jugs @200 yards standing unsupported. But that's bad aim on my part not the gun.

Out of the box with some cheap wal-mart remington ammo I was shooting sub 1" MOA. I posted a report on it a while ago in on of the sections.

18. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Google Smith Enterprise+M14 and check out their Crazy Horse. I'm ordering mine in about a month.

19. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I said I liked the Rem 750. Only draw back is the 4 + 1 capacity.

Do you really lose that much accuracy with the Semi's over the bolt's?

Attached Files:

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

In a word - Yes.

But, you have to qualify the statement.

A semi auto will never be as accurate as a boltgun ( assuming both are made with the same caliber of components and assembled correctly ) but they can be close.

How many semi autos do you see in 1,000 yard competition?? Yeah, kind of what I was saying. :D

Now, you can have a more accurate semi auto by running a gas system, like the AR, as opposed to an operating rod system like the M14 and the AK models.

Basically the operating rod induces harmonics into the barrel, affecting accuracy.

The operating rod systems are more rugged, and more reliable in a heavy, harsh environment, which is why the AK has so many damn clones the world over. It doesn't need the same care that a gas system does. Which is one of the reasons you are now seeing everyone produce gas piston driven AR platforms.

A boltgun has the round locked in the chamber by the locking lugs. All the gas does is send the bullet down the rifling. It's not bled off to operate the weapon. The "launch" of the bullet against the bolthead is a constant variable. Nothing changes, the boltface doesn't slide backward, it doesn't suddenly open up and allow gas to escape. Gas pressure increases to a peak, but there is no external forces on the barrel ( in theory ) so where it's pointed is where the bullet is going.

A well built boltgun, with a free floated barrel, good trigger, quality glass and a compentent shooter, is one of the deadliest of all small arms.