Next gun for carry......help.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Missouribound, May 12, 2013.

1. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Later this year I expect to buy a new handgun. It will either be a S&W Airweight 38 for carry.....OR a compact .45. If I go the .45 route, I'd like some opinion as to which would be your preference. And if any of you have a compact carry .45, how rough is the recoil? My wife will more than likely carry the revolver, but if I can get her comfortable with the .45, she may also consider that. I"m completely open to mfg. on the .45. Single stack is important to me for carry. Other than that I'm open to all opinions.

2. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Check out the Springfield xds as far as the compact, single stack 45. The recoil on the xds isn't terrible. Just make sure whatever you but you are total comfortable with it, especially fit in your hand.

3. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I dont know how strong your wife is.. but i shoot the rental guns sometimes at work. I tried out a Colt Defender compact .45 a while back. It was fun to shoot, recoil was no problem. But target retention was not good...on a 3rnd burst, i was lucky to even hit paper with round 2 and 3...lol

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

I've never shot one but I've heard the Kahr PM45 is a nice gun. Single stack, 5+1.

5. GSmith1883

GSmith1883 New Member

If available, stop by a shooting range and try out their rentals. Other wise there are alot of 1911's that are great for carry, Sig Sauer P220 is a great pistol, and Springfield now makes the XD in a single stack 45acp to name a few. Personally I love my S&W 638 bodyguard. Not many pistols with stopping power can hide in your gym shorts!

6. GSmith1883

GSmith1883 New Member

Unless you are a larger person, I'm 5'10" 170 lbs, without a button up shirt most pistols print easily on a person my size.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

It is a looker & has a great feel to me & light as can be BUT recoil ain't polite--

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The size of the shooter can be overcome with technique.

My niece (5'2", approx 98lbs wet) handles a .45 Govt model 1911 with no problems (except when trying to conceal it).

She has an old S&W Sigma in .40 and seems to do pretty good with it.

Best advice is to try as many firearms and see what works for you and the spouse.

9. rickster

rickster New Member

Have you considered the Taurus PT740 slim. It's perfect for ccw and its chambered in 40 S&W.

10. neal3019

neal3019 New Member

I went to 9mm LC9 by ruger conceals very well wife likes it to for size but wants the LCR in 38 for ease of firing a revolver

11. Missouribound

Any reason you would choose the LCR over a S&W Airweight?

12. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I can't answer for him, but I like the sights and trigger on the lcr better, both my father and my grandmother own one. Plus Ruger it's a great company just like Smith and Wesson

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You may laugh, but lately I've gone retro.

I found a really nice

little 9-shot 22LR revolver.

You can, too.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I like the Kimber ultra II pistols for carrying a 45 acp. For shooting a 45 ACP I prefer the plain old 1911. My brother has a Kimber Ultra II. It is a good shooting little pistol. If you have to have a 45 ACP for a SD carry weapon the little Kimber is arguably the best gun on the market.

The Colt Officers 1911 shoots as well as the Kimber. But it lacks the night sights and other creature comforts that are standard equipment on the Kimber. Plus you might pay more for the Colt.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  15. neal3019

neal3019 New Member

My wife liked the price of Ruger over S&W but S&W was first one handled I told her we will go to rental shop and shoot both then pick

16. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Another vote for the XDS. My girlfriend shoots mine and she did the range portion for her CCL with it.

17. Missouribound

No name....no pics? Can't laugh if I can't see it.

18. Missouribound

Well, I've narrowed it down to two guns....with some help from my wife.....(replace help with strongly suggest)
    My first pick was the Sig P238, I want a light gun for carry and Sig's seem to be a good pick. I also was looking at a revolver, the S&W 637 to be more precise. Well to make a long story short, my wife prefers the revolver. She has the 686 and a little Heritage rough rider that I bought for her. And since the last gun we bought was an auto, she thinks it's time for another revolver. Who am I to argue? Anyway, she's got a CC purse and she's quite proficient at the range.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You must be new here. I don't show pictures of my guns.

Google Hi-Standard Sentinel R-101.