Next gun, 9mm carbine or 5.7 semi auto?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Imthabullet, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Imthabullet

Imthabullet New Member

I'm ready to add to the collection. I'm torn between something like a cx4 storm, and a 5.7 semi auto pistol. Any thoughts?

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Are you talking about the FN Five-Seven for the pistol? 5.7 ammo is expensive, and would have to be ordered, but from what I've seen, a lot of the people who actually get the FN love it.
    The 9mm would be more economical, and allow for more range time. I don't know anything about the gun itself though.

3. Imthabullet

Imthabullet New Member

Yes, the Five-Seven. A friend has one, and its awesome to shoot. I do agree that more range time would be a plus. I already own a 9mm, so I'm pretty stocked on ammo.

4. Imthabullet

Imthabullet New Member

Oh, and same friend owns a cx4 storm in a 40 s&w round. That is a SWEET gun!!

5. Tulyhunter

Tulyhunter New Member

I own a PX4 in 40 SW. Functions flawless, trigger is OK nothing to brag about.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I have a CX4 in .45 acp. Brand new the trigger was just plain bad. It does improve dramatically with use. There are aftermarket kits out there as well.
    Aside from that, it's a pretty good gun.
    The FN 5.7 pistol is kind of cool in the abstract sense. I just don't know if I'd be willing to spend $1100+ for the opportunity to shoot expensive ammo that's a pain to reload.

7. Imthabullet

Imthabullet New Member

I'm leaning more towards the carbine. For price, $700-$800, is the cx4 probably my best bet?

8. oli700

oli700 New Member

Imthabullet , since you were tossing up between a pistol that shoots spendy rounds and a carbine that shoots inexpensive pistol rounds, just out of curiosity why don’t you get a carbine that shoots a rifle round for around the same price as the one that shoots the pistol rounds ? I never get why people want to put up with the trade off’s of a long gun and not reap the benefits of a rifle round…..just curious.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a hard look at the PS90.:)

I love it. light, handy, dead accurate, and built in optics with tritium night reticle.

And a 50 round magaxine.:D

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The CX4 gets my vote.

11. Imthabullet

Imthabullet New Member

That ps90 is awesome. A lil higher than I wanna spend though. Along with the pricey ammo afterwards. I looked at the M4A1. A nice weapon at a decent price also. So many choices!!

12. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

The 9mm ammo is cheaper and widely available so I would go with that.

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

9mm carbine. It makes an excellent hd gun. Get the hi point and you have all kinds of $ for add ons and ammo :)

14. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

Yes but the reason high point pistols are cheap is because they r cheaply made. They r like a club and good thing because they jam and break so often that's what ure have to use it.for

15. primer1

Op was considering a carbine, not a pistol

16. oli700

oli700 New Member

Now you are talking. AR 15's are being proven as a good HD choice these days. I never considered it due to shooting though a couple of houses but have seen some testing and studies lately to the contrary and on some of the more technical forums than this one it is all the rage. Look into it , you will be surprised at the effectiveness and under penetration on hard surroundings....that being said it’s not my go to but it is in the mix now. Way more versatile than the pistol cal carbines for roughly the same money.

17. primer1

Very good points, but after one shot inside in low light and you'll be temporarily deaf and blind. The deaf part might be mote permanent, too. That effect from a pistol caliber carbine is way less.

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Look into the Kel-Tec Sub2000. Great little rifle, super light and compact, extremely quick target acquisition. And most take Glock mags, so you can run 17rd G17 mags or even the 30+ capacity G18 mags.

I chose the KelTec over the others (Marlin Camp, CX4, Hi-Point, etc) because its just so light and compact. And I liked the capacity potential. I've had zero problems with it and consider it a go-to HD option. The CX4 felt a bit bulkier to me and cost twice as much, though I'm sure it's a good gun. The Hi-Point is awkwardly weighted and extremely top-heavy, like everything they make. But it too is a decent gun.

The only downside about the Kel-Tec is that it's a blow-back operated gun that gets absolutely filthy after a few boxes of ammo. But you can't beat it for a quick, light, high capacity 9mm carbine at $400.

19. oli700

oli700 New Member

I'll buy that, as far as muzzle flash, the sound part is low on my personal list in that situation but it might be a consideration for others.

20. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

Ok I misread the op post but I've known a few guys with those high point rifles and almost bought one myself and after the first couple of hundred rounds they started malfunctioning