Newfound respect for 22LR power

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by chloeshooter, Jan 18, 2013.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I often joke around about the 22lr being a "squirrel round". Not my first choice for self defense. So today I set up 8 books totaling 4.25" thick. You can see the entrance shot and the exit shot, which was not intended to go thru George's head. Shot was from 5 ft using cheap ammo 40g

Attached Files:

2. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I was going to add, considering the speed of fire you can attain with a 10/22, this could really be a problem for an assailant inside 50 yards without armor. I should stop making fun of one of my favorite rifles!

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

People have killed many elk an black bear with a 22, people seem to think that its to weak to even kill a coyote, what a joke, its not the best choice true but a 22 pill goin 1250 fps is gonna kill you, period. Head shots are the best.

4. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

A large percent of people dangerously under estimate the power of a 22lr. A lot of people have been killed for just that reason, and many more purposely. The Ruger Mk 1 was known as the asassins favorite among hired killers.

5. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Glad you now know what many of us already know. A .22 long rifle is incredible cartridge.:) Cliff

6. AR10

AR10 New Member

I believe it was the straight .22 or the .22 short that was developed as a close proximity assassination round. The LR round is too loud and requires a larger gun to fire from.

7. OverDraught

OverDraught New Member

More than four decades ago I shot a Ruger .22 pistol for the first time. It was in a friend's attic, and he used a hardbound Webster's dictionary for a backstop (my friend wasn't much of a scholar). The shot hit the bullseye, and I was thrilled until I saw that the bullet had gone through the dictionary as well as the wall behind it. I have no idea where it landed, but at least the cops didn't come around.

That was the first and last time I ever screwed up with a firearm.

8. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I think the 22 is very underestimated and being one of the first cartridges ever I'm sure its probably killed more people than any others but who knows, here a lot of poachers are caught shooting deer with em, I mean look at swamp people, headshot instantly kills big alligators, I don't know bout anyone else but I wouldn't want to be shot at by one!

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Were those randomly picked books or some that you had something against?

10. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

LOL! The books were random but after the fact there is room for interpretation. If I was planning things I would A) not have shot George Washington and B) shot Justin Bieber (and a few others from the political realm and last but not least, Bill Maher)

11. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

You can say what you will about the .22lr, but I'd hate to be on the receiving end of one (or more) of 'em. I farmed and ranched for 30 years and occasionally you have to put down a cow for cancer or whatever. I always used my old Marlin 60 and let me tell you, they have thick skulls. A .22 would drop them like a stone every time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Ah I just love the 22LR, I have several rifles and a couple pistols and could easily have a few more. They can kill plenty dead as a hammer and in a rifle is pretty quiet.

13. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I never owned a .22 in my entire life until recently. I never really saw any point to it. But I bought a Marlin 795 when ammo prices went up. In the last month I've bought two more. Both Rugers a 22/45 and an LCR rev.

Now I can't find much 22lr around here to feed em. I stocked up a while back but hate to shoot it until this craziness is over.

14. m72law

m72law New Member

[ame]http://youtu.be/OUM1r_444CY[/ame]

15. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

My neighbor across the street was shot during a holdup last October, 9mm and .22. The 9mm made a small hole going in and a slightly larger one coming out.

The .22 went in about 4 inches above his navel and bounced around in his abdomen. Had the paramedic not had him airlifted to the trauma center he'd be dead today.

As it is he now sports a scar reaching from his collarbone to just below his navel. He spent three weeks in the ICU and it was touch and go for the first three days.

The FBI stats on shootings states that more people are killed by .22 caliber weapons than any other caliber.

eldar

16. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

I knew 22 caliber was plenty dangerous enough but not until I really got into shooting the round with a Ruger 10/22 and a 22 short pistol. I can pop cans with accuracy from 20 feet away or more with the 22 short pistol running CCI high velocity ammo. In fact, when piddling around town, I'll carry the 22 short in my pocket more often than my regular CC handgun. An assailant might laugh if you pull out a 22 short in a defensive situation but he wouldn't laugh for long.

17. kycol

kycol New Member

Oh that can not be. I have seen these post about a guy being in a bar and the 22 just bounced off the guys head.........roll eyes.

18. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I like a quote from a guy I saw on YouTube the other day.
    He said " A lot of people will tell you that a .22 isn't a very lethal round. But there a lot of dead people that will tell you it is.
    LOL

19. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

my bosses nephew accidentily shot himself in the leg with a 22 a couple months back. entered the top of his thigh, exited the bottom leavin a hole about the size of a dime, then entered & lodged in his calf. all told, that was about a foot of penetration through human skin, muscle, & fat tissue. not to mention going through his jeans 3 times.

no way in hell i would want to be on the wrong end of a 22LR.

20. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

Needless to say, he too has a new-found respect for the power of the 22LR. :eek: