Newest 1911 to my collection: 38 Super Detonics CombatMaster MK VI

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by melensdad, Jan 9, 2012.

1. melensdad

melensdad New Member

I can't believe that I got this gun for a steal. A year or two ago any Detonics model in 38 Super would command a price of NO LESS THAN $1100 to $1200 and could easily fetch more. I picked this up today on Gunbroker for hundreds LESS than those prices. It must be the economy? Even with shipping and transfer costs I'll be at only $900 in this gun.

There are probably no more than 300 to 350 CombatMasters chambered in 38 Super spread across all the various models. That makes this one rare gun indeed. I have several other 38 Super chambered CombatMasters in my Detonics collection, including a twin to this one, but I could not pass the gun up at this price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cankiller

cankiller New Member

A sweet find indeed........looking down the business end sure looks more like a .50 lol

3. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Nice find. Looks to be in great shape! 38 super is one of the more underrated and harder to find rounds. How has the ammo hunt been?

4. melensdad

melensdad New Member

Yup its in great shape indeed. Given the gun was likely made between 1983 and 1986 its nearly flawless.

I have a handful of other guns in the same caliber. I buy 38 Super by the case! :)

5. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

That is a nice looking pistol.

6. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Nice purchase! I'm loving the mainspring housing it looks sick!

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great CombatMaster, outstanding snag!

You have stirred my Detonics/Miami Vice envy. [​IMG]

(I wonder why every time I see/hear Detonics I think "Cocaine Cowboy" and find a Jan Hammer tune stuck in my head? Or Glenn Frey's "Smuggler's Blues" on a continuous loop.)

8. melensdad

melensdad New Member

Ahh. . . Smugglers Blues . . . bringing back memories!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uKjo_URBo]Glen Frey......Smugglers blues, ( high quality, full video) - YouTube[/ame]