Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a relatively old-timer, chronologically, I am a newbie to reloading. I've read a couple books on the subject, namely: Lyman 4th Reloading Handbook; Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook; Richard Lee's Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition, and I have also purchased, and lightly used, some basic equipment.

Having talked my wife into jumping through all the hoops and paying all the fees the State of MD has put in place to discourage the exercise our 2A right to purchase/use a gun. and to regularly go to the range with me, I am ready to seriously get into reloading.

I think this website looks to be a good place to learn from the "experienced reloader".

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,758 Posts
As a relatively old-timer, chronologically, I am a newbie to reloading. I've read a couple books on the subject, namely: Lyman 4th Reloading Handbook; Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook; Richard Lee's Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition, and I have also purchased, and lightly used, some basic equipment.

Having talked my wife into jumping through all the hoops and paying all the fees the State of MD has put in place to discourage the exercise our 2A right to purchase/use a gun. and to regularly go to the range with me, I am ready to seriously get into reloading.

I think this website looks to be a good place to learn from the "experienced reloader".
Welcome from the free state of Iowa. Lots of re loaders here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from the free state of Iowa. Lots of re loaders here.
Thanks for the "welcome". I'll keep that in mind when I retire from the part-time retirement I'm enjoying now, and we look to relocate... but I think we'll be looking for some place a bit warmer in winter than Iowa is. Just sayin', ya' know? Winter get tougher each year. :cool:

·
Supporting Member
13,534 Posts
chocolatedogman,
First of all, please go to the Introduction Section. Glad to have you join us and from Tennessee.
I guess my first question being a Lab lover is your name referring to a Chocolate Lab?
But also, what are you planning on loading? We will be glad to assist you on your venture. And with suggestions on equipment from experience. There are many of us here who have been loading and reloading for years. Including Shotgun, Rifle and Pistol.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm getting back into reloading in a free state and, to a point, there's as much to it as you want to put into it. Start with a simple pistol caliber (38spcl, or 357 mag) and go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chocolatedogman,
First of all, please go to the Introduction Section. Glad to have you join us and from Tennessee.
I guess my first question being a Lab lover is your name referring to a Chocolate Lab?
But also, what are you planning on loading? We will be glad to assist you on your venture. And with suggestions on equipment from experience. There are many of us here who have been loading and reloading for years. Including Shotgun, Rifle and Pistol.

Yes. We're living with our 4th Labrador retriever, a yellow... the other three were chocolates... my favorite color. But, when the last one passed at 11 1/2 yrs old, my wife said "No more. It's just too much when they pass." But, she had also fallen in love with a neighbors yellow Lab, and after a few months she remarked "If we ever get another I'd like it to be yellow." That was it. That night I began a search, and we ended up with a yellow lab that is now almost 22 months old. I've had the moniker "chocolatedogman" for too long, though, to go changing it now. Besides... personality wise a lab is a lab, is a lab... the only kind of dog there is IMHO!

I've loaded a few 9 mm Luger and some 12 ga loads. Currently I'm looking to load some 380 ACP for my wife's new S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ. From things I've read online, Hodgdon Titegroup seems to be a popular powder, and 75 grains seems to be a midrange bullet weight. Hodgdon's website gives clear data for powder loads. Before going through purchasing components for the 380 loads, however, I'm wondering if Titewad is the best powder.

Also, I'm aware that in shot shell loading the hull type is a significant factor in determining other appropriate components. Of course I understand case caliber is a factor, but Is the case manufacturer a factor in determining pistol loads?

I've used CCI small pistol primers in the 9 mm loads. Are these suitable for the 380 loads?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Good luck finding the powder. It's out there but costly unless bought at an LGS and it still costs too much. Yes, it's good powder and it doesn't take much of it. Any brand small pistol primer should work for both 9mm and 380. Never used Titewad. It takes a tiny difference in Titegroup to make a significant difference in velocity. Make sure the OAL is right on 9mm and 380. May have to adjust but I'm not familiar with those guns.

·
Supporting Member
13,534 Posts
Chocolatedogman,
Yes! both hunting, a companion and as part of the family! Labs cannot be beat.
I have had 5 of them over the years Czar, Poco who were Black and Cocoa who was Chocolate. And then Angel and Baby Girl who were yellow. Czar and Poco were hunters as also being great family dogs. Cocoa, Angel and Baby Girls were just part of the family. We had to put Baby Girl to sleep in 2018 due to Cancer. As you guys it broke our hearts she was 12. But as your Wife mine waited about a week and she advised me, Honey I have to fill this hole in my heart! So. we got on the Internet and typed in Yellow Labrador Puppies. You would not believe what happened! Every time she entered the search for a Yellow Labrador puppy, this yellow labradoodle pup kept popping up even though it was typed in Yellow Lab Pups. It must have happened at least 6 times. So thinking it must be fate so we drove to Kentucky to see the pup. When I drove down the lane to the Kennel Office. I saw three yellow labs in a large outdoor wooded pen area. When I contacted the owner at the Office, I advised him we had come to look at a pup. But I wanted to look at one of the Yellow Labradors in the front pen. He advised I do not have any Lab Pups for sale. I only have one female lab and she is my breeding dog since I raise Labradoodles and a couple of other breeds. I said what about the Labs in the first pen. He advised those are first generation labradoodles. The mother is a Yellow Lab and their father (Sire) was a full-size standard poodle. Well, the rest is history. He opened the pen and her, her sister and brother came running out. And as you know how it would happen, one of the females came straight to us. So, we now have Mollie but other than having Poodle type Hair and a little Gotee she looks like a Yellow Lab. By being a first generation, she does not have curls like a repeated later bread generation of Labradoodles have.

Now as far as your question. Yes, Hodgdon Powder is good powder. And the primers are the same for the 380 and the 9mm Luger rounds. The best thing to do is find a powder that is good for several different calibers you will be loading. And especially with some powders being a little scarce or pricy today as well as primers. The IMR Powders and Alliance Powders are also excellent. I have never heard of the other powder you mentioned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck finding the powder. It's out there but costly unless bought at an LGS and it still costs too much. Yes, it's good powder and it doesn't take much of it. Any brand small pistol primer should work for both 9mm and 380. Never used Titewad. It takes a tiny difference in Titegroup to make a significant difference in velocity. Make sure the OAL is right on 9mm and 380. May have to adjust but I'm not familiar with those guns.
Thanks for the guidance. I'll be sure to check OAL. Any recommendations for an appropriate powder I can use that might be easier and/or less costly than the Tightgroup? (I incorrectly wrote "Titewad" in the last paragraph, when I meant "Tightgroup". WOW! I guess I better take care not to make that mistake when I load!) BTW whats an "LGS"?
'

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chocolatedogman,
I have had 5 of them over the years Czar, Poco who were Black and Cocoa who was Chocolate. And then Angel and Baby Girl who were yellow. Czar and Poco were hunters as also being great family dogs. Cocoa, Angel and Baby Girls were just part of the family. We had to put Baby Girl to sleep in 2018 due to Cancer. As you guys it broke our hearts she was 12. But as your Wife mine waited about a week and she advised me, Honey I have to fill this hole in my heart! So. we got on the Internet and typed in Yellow Labrador Puppies. You would not believe what happened! Every time she entered the search for a Yellow Labrador puppy, this yellow labradoodle pup kept popping up even though it was typed in Yellow Lab Pups. It must have happened at least 6 times. So thinking it must be fate so we drove to Kentucky to see the pup. When I drove down the lane to the Kennel Office. I saw three yellow labs in a large outdoor wooded pen area. When I contacted the owner at the Office, I advised him we had come to look at a pup. But I wanted to look at one of the Yellow Labradors in the front pen. He advised I do not have any Lab Pups for sale. I only have one female lab and she is my breeding dog since I raise Labradoodles and a couple of other breeds. I said what about the Labs in the first pen. He advised those are first generation labradoodles. The mother is a Yellow Lab and their father (Sire) was a full-size standard poodle. Well, the rest is history. He opened the pen and her, her sister and brother came running out. And as you know how it would happen, one of the females came straight to us. So, we now have Mollie but other than having Poodle type Hair and a little Gotee she looks like a Yellow Lab. By being a first generation, she does not have curls like a repeated later bread generation of Labradoodles have.

Now as far as your question. Yes, Hodgdon Powder is good powder. And the primers are the same for the 380 and the 9mm Luger rounds. The best thing to do is find a powder that is good for several different calibers you will be loading. And especially with some powders being a little scarce or pricy today as well as primers. The IMR Powders and Alliance Powders are also excellent. I have never heard of the other powder you mentioned.

Thanks for the response. That's a good idea... to select a multi-use powder. I'm thinking the case is irrelevant. I mean as long as the caliber is what you want to load, the dimensions, both exterior/interior, should be the same. No?

I think you're right about it being "fate" that brought you and Mollie together. And, I'll bet you don't have to deal with all the hair a Lab drops!

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Titegroup powder and all powders are expensive BUT it takes so little of it in 9mm and 380, the cost is spread out over a lot of rounds. Be very careful you measure it correctly given the small amount it takes for a properly loaded round. If you don't have some good scales, get some. I use an old "balance beam" scale and it works perfect. You can also spend more money for electronic scales but they aren't necessary. I use them to calibrate an RCBS powder measure which you'll appreciate.

Speer makes a good reloading manual I like. Everyone has their preference. Probably better to read unbiased manual(s) as well as depend on experienced people's opinions (they haven't blown themselves up). There IS definitely a lot of good advice on this forum.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Currently I'm looking to load some 380 ACP for my wife's new S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ.
I've used CCI small pistol primers in the 9 mm loads. Are these suitable for the 380 loads?
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
I have used Titegroup instead of Titewad for my Bodyguard .380....and 100gr bullets.
That has worked well for me.
And those primers are fine.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Chocolatedogman,

My wife and I know the Lab thing very well. We trained a solid black (no white flashing) AKC field trial national competitor when we were only in our late 20's. We have some blue ribbons which were the next thing to impossible to get at the time. We beat the best in the country at the time and self-trained both ourselves and the dog. After he passed, I have never been able to have another one. I can't go through the pain again. He was incredibly awesome to train, a best friend, with intelligence and obedience beyond belief.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Titegroup powder and all powders are expensive BUT it takes so little of it in 9mm and 380, the cost is spread out over a lot of rounds. Be very careful you measure it correctly given the small amount it takes for a properly loaded round. If you don't have some good scales, get some. I use an old "balance beam" scale and it works perfect. You can also spend more money for electronic scales but they aren't necessary. I use them to calibrate an RCBS powder measure which you'll appreciate.

Speer makes a good reloading manual I like. Everyone has their preference. Probably better to read unbiased manual(s) as well as depend on experienced people's opinions (they haven't blown themselves up). There IS definitely a lot of good advice on this forum.
Southernguns,
Thanks for the info/advice.
I have a balance beam scale. Used carefully, nothing is more accurate. My powder measure is also an RCBS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My wife and I know the Lab thing very well. We trained a solid black (no white flashing) AKC field trial national competitor when we were only in our late 20's. We have some blue ribbons which were the next thing to impossible to get at the time. We beat the best in the country at the time and self-trained both ourselves and the dog. After he passed, I have never been able to have another one. I can't go through the pain again. He was incredibly awesome to train, a best friend, with intelligence and obedience beyond belief.
Southernguns,
A NATIONAL field trial competitor! WOW! That DOES take a lot of time and talent to train. I trained my second one for AKC Hunt Tests, so I know the kind of work that takes, but a field trial dog of National level competence is really something else!
It is heartbreaking when they pass... and they can never be replaced. But, the void they leave in your life can be filled by another... given enough time. I never want to be without a Lab again, as long as I live. But being in my seventies, I think the next one, if I am unfortunate enough to have the need, will be from a Lab rescue, or similar source.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have used Titegroup instead of Titewad for my Bodyguard .380....and 100gr bullets.
That has worked well for me.
And those primers are fine.
Thanks for your answers. I'll be reloading the 380's for my wife... a totally inexperienced shooter... to shoot at paper targets. So, I'm thinking a lighter bullet (possibly 60 gr) would be better, at least to start.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts