Newbie shotgun question

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by noahlanier9, Mar 18, 2013.

1. noahlanier9

noahlanier9 New Member

I recently purchased a mossberg 500 12 gauge shotgun. It's the silver combo pack and it comes with 2 barrels, one is a 28inch field barrel. The other is a 18.5 security barrel. I'm having a hard time finding out if the barrels can take chokes. The primary uses for the gun is gonna be turkey hunting and shooting clays. From what I found the 28 inch is a improvised fixed cylinder choke. Is that right and if so what does that mean? And if it's fixed is it gonna be practical for turkey and clay shooting? Like I said I'm a newbie but I'm trying to learn. Any info is appreciated.

2. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

the 29 in barrel will not accept a choke because it is fixed. I think you mean improved cylinder instead of improvised cylinder. For turkey, a full or extra full choke will work best, but they arent the only chokes you can use.

3. noahlanier9

noahlanier9 New Member

So is my barrel gonna work? And how big of a difference is there between a full choke and what I'm using?

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Sorry -- take pics of what the barrels say and of the muzzle (28" one) -- something's off here. Choke matters greatly.

5. noahlanier9

noahlanier9 New Member

That's just the thing, I don't have the gun yet, I'm currently on day 5 of my 10 day waiting period. What seems off?

6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member