Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by NewGunz, Dec 13, 2010.

1. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

I currently shoot pistols but I don't yet own a shotgun. I was considering buying since they tend to be cheaper for home protection as well as range fun. But I have a few questions:

1. What are good, reputable shotgun manufacturers? I always hear about Remington, Benelli, and Mossberg so I assume they are the best but I'm not certain. I currently own a SIG Sauer P226 pistol so I'd like to get one on par with that quality if I do end up buying.

2. How expensive is shotgun ammo? I checked on a few websites and it seemed that buckshot is typically $1 per cartridge which seems expensive but is that what people usually practice with at the range or what?

3. Is it true that shotguns don't take much practice for self-defense when using spread/buckshot?

Thanks.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm not sure I'd call a shotgun a fun range gun. The people in other lanes around aren't exactly happy that you brought a shotgun to the range that day. They are pretty loud and percussive. Shooting clays outside is a different matter, but an indoor range is best for handguns. But I still have to get some practice in occasionally. I have a hard time aiming mine with my ear muffs on, though.

I buy SuperXpress by Remington. I get boxes of 25 shells for $6-7. That's like a quarter per shell.

I think right now I've got 2 shells of #7-1/2, followed by 2 low-recoil 00-buck, followed by 2 full-on 00-buck. Then 4 3" magnum 00-buck shells on my shell holder. Definitely increasing intensity if the threat continues.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

The two indoor ranges I've gone to are strictly pistol ranges. They are not long enough for rifle or shot gun. You'll have to call the range you go to or look them up online and see what is permissible. In my experience, which isn't very vast, rifle and shotgun ranges are usually outdoor ranges

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My range is only 25 yards, but allows all handguns, all .22lr rifles, and all shotguns. It only limits centerfire rifles. Have you asked, Winds?

I felt the need to practice a little bit on my shottie, but have no desire to put a lot of rounds through it. I even have one of those Knoxx SpecOps recoil-reducing stocks and it is still not fun to fire.

6. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Well first of all, I've been to my range enough times to know what's allowed there. I've seen people shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns, high-powered sniper rifles... In fact, their rifle range is the biggest part of their range. Their only rules are they want you to pick up as many spent shotgun shells as you safely can. Do I like it all the time? No. But I'm not really going to care if the people next to me like it or not because there's been at least a dozen times I've gone and had to put up with some guy firing a rifle or shotgun that shakes my entire body next door to me and pierces my 2 levels of ear protection. I've also had to deal with children not even 10 years old firing that crap next to me. Personally, I don't really care because A. I know I'm going to a gun range and it aint gonna be quiet and B. I know that if I am ever in a gunfight, I'm gonna have to be accurate while I'm being shot at with anything imaginable, so I figure it's good practice and training. I mean, if I required a specific setting to shoot, that wouldn't be very practical.

But anyway, thanks for the link. When you say it's not a fun range gun, are you saying it's just loud, harsh, and pointless to shoot targets with? Is it only used for defense and clays?

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

That is a REALLY good point. Part of the range experience is acclimation to others firing around you.

Nope. Just my opinion about my experience. I never said "pointless." There is no firearm that is pointless. How is it spelled? JMHO, YMMV.

8. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

Another thing to think about is what shells you're allowed to shoot in the range. The range I go to only allows slugs, or 00Buck with a full choke. Being that my HD shotgun has no choke options, I have to get slugs. So, while it's good to get a couple shots run through it, there isn't much beyond that if you want to shoot buckshot.

Not that this is a problem, but it's worth the phonecall, before you go sink a ton of $ into shells you can't shoot.

9. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Good point. My range doesn't allow BB guns so they probably only allow slugs. But that's OK, it doesn't discourage me too much. I mean, I already know what buckshot does and I'm sure I can go find an outdoor range and blow up pumpkins or something if I really wanted to, haha. Thanks though, that's definitely something to consider before buying!

10. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

NEVERMIND, haha, I just went to the range with 2 friends today and we all shot a 12 gauge with game load in it. Pretty intense!!! It DEMOLISHED our target, but it was fun and an entirely different experience than a pistol. We all enjoy it and thanks to proper positions, had no sore arms afterwards...

I must say, I DEFINITELY want to get one and I DEFINITELY want to have one if someone breaks into my house... So much more powerful. In fact, I've heard that due to their intimidation factor, they may even help SAVE lives.

I have a questions about the shot... I'm still not that familiar with how shotgun ammo works. We shot something called "Game Shot" by Federal and it had a TON of BBs in it... I want to say like 100 per shell at least. This shot tore holes in the target and left tiny holes EVERYwhere, so I'd assume that even this would be a good stopper, but what's the difference between the different shot sizes and all and what is optimum for defense from another person? Thanks.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm guessing "Game shot" means bird shot. There is probably more information on the shell or box that you didn't tell us. The smaller the shot balls, the quicker they will be stopped in flesh. Thus, bird shot could really make someone angry, but not have any "stopping" power. Think VP Cheney...he shot his friend in the neck and face and he easily survived.

Buck shot fires just a few pellets (about 9 for 2-3/4" 00-buck), but the greater weight gives these balls much more inertia to enter the body and sever vital blood supply lines, leading to quicker medical shock, thus providing much greater "stopping" power.

12. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Gotcha. Thanks!!!

13. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

Mossbergs, H&Rs/New Englands, Winchesters, Remingtons, Saigas, Charles Dailys, the list is never ending on what's good. And some models are good and others aren't so be careful about that. #4 Bird shot is my personal option for HD it will ensure decent stopping power and not a big factor of over penetration. ( I am not the only one in my household) A pump would definately be the best rout for capacity, reliability, and quickness. Also I would advise going with something that's pretty common for the reason of being able to find parts and accessories. Speaking of accessories, you gotta get you a shell holder (Mine holds 00Buck for just in case the BG is like Terminator or something. And a tactical light is a MUST! Good Luck. Let us know what you get. And show some pictures too.

14. mykelb

mykelb New Member

Shot Gun Choice

There is something to be said about the deterring factor when a person hears an 870 Remington being racked or for that matter any 12 ga. being racked. It comes down to personal choice and how much you want to spend. Mossberg has the 930 SPX semi that is pretty nice. In my opnion all of the major gun makers make quality shot guns it just depends on your pocket book.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would suggest mossberg 500 since it has pretty cheap interchangeable barrels for everything from 50cal muzzle loader to home defense to skeet.

skeet shooting is pretty damn addictive.

16. BIGBEN

BIGBEN New Member

Yes Mossberg and Benelli are both good,just what do you prefer,pump or semi-auto? Have to find that out for yourself.I have a semi auto Benelli,flawless.

Actually it does take practice.We hear way too much someone say "just point and pull." Nope,dont work that way.A shotgun has at least 2 advantages.Depending on the load,it can cause alot more damage than a single bullet.Because of the spread,it tears chunks out of things.And then there is the fear factor most people get when they hear 'shotgun'.

17. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Well, I'm looking to buy a pump. Can you tell me some good pumps specifically? I just want something basic but reliable.

18. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Well, if you're looking for a pump I'd recommednd a Remington 870 express. I own one (combo, with a rifled barrel and a smoothbore) and its easy to use/take apart. It's relatively cheap to own and is pretty good quality. If you get the combo version you'll a rifled barrel for slugs and a smoothbore for shot. If you're only going to get one, I'd go for it cause its really flexible for shooting.

As for ranges - usually you can shoot shot at them cause it doesn't penetrate too much. Slugs are like rifle rounds so if rifles are banned at the range -chances are slugs won't be allowed.

As for price, hunting rounds will be about $1 each, but as some people have mentioned target rounds can be bought way cheaper. think Winchester super X #2 is 25rds for about $7. It won't be as cheap as .22lr - but what is? Shells are big and can cost alot, but target ammo is way cheaper - just don't ever hunt with target loads!

19. Missileman

Missileman New Member

There are plenty out there, but if you want the world's most popular, most reliable, smoothest operating, with the most parts, accessories, etc., then the Remington 870 in any configuration, variation, or finish is the way to go.

20. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Thanks. One more question: What are the different barrel lengths for? I see some longer and some shorter barrels. Can longer barreled shotguns fire longer range or are they just more accurate or what? Also, what's a good capacity I should settle for? I see some that are 4+1 and some that are 5 or 6 +1.