Newbie...needs knowledge!!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by philacious, Apr 6, 2010.

1. philacious

philacious New Member

Hello all! Although I have always been interested in firearms I have not had to opportunity to get involved. I would like to purchase a pistol, but can't spend anywhere near $600 dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions on a pistol make and model that is dependable, safe, and durable as well as "cheap"??

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Carry gun, range gun, home defense gun? Caliber preference? Revolver or semi-auto? Have you shot any handguns before? How much do you want to spend? If we have some more information, we can offer you some viable suggestions...

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Stop by the introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself.

What kind of budget are you working with. There are a lot of options out there.

4. philacious

philacious New Member

Range gun and home defense. Probably 9mm Semi-Auto. I would really like a Glock, but as I said I can't spend that much. $200 is probably my limit for the next few years. Would it be best to wait until I can afford the more expensive better brands?

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

At the $200 price point about the only thing available that is even remotely reliable is a Hi Point. If you can get to $400, there are a lot more choices - especially in the used market...

6. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

At a $200 budget have you thought of a shotgun for home defense? Some shutguns come with a two barrel combo and at used prices can be very practical. Shooting sporting clays at an outdoor gun range can be fun. Just a thought...

7. Missileman

Missileman New Member

You may want to start with a .22 pistol--not great for home defense but at least you'll be able to shoot it a lot and become proficient before you move up to a larger caliber. A good used .22 can be had for $200--Ruger Mark III, Browning Buckmark, and others. Good luck.

8. Normal

Normal New Member

I would suggest pawn shops. I picked my Glock 23 up at one for $250. Sure it was super old and broke a month later, but I sent it back to Glock Inc. and they fixed it for free.

You can never go wrong with Glock's lifetime warranty. :D

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Did you have another gun for defense while your Glock was away being serviced? Assuming you don't live in Smyrna GA, do you factor in the costs of shipping said Glock? Yes, Glock has a great warranty but $250 Glocks are as rare as hens teeth for that reason. I cruise the local pawn shops often and much of what I see is either overpriced or junk. They will sell you a Jennings, Bryco or Lorcin and swear it's the best gun made...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

$200 9mm home defense gun?? Hi-point like NGIB said is the only thing that comes to mind.

I would look for a good used mossberg 500 12guage.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As would I...

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Better to wait. SW Sigmas are available (new) in 9mm and 40sw for $250-300. If you like Glocks, the Sigmas should suit you pretty well at that price. Some Ruger P-series 9mm can also be found for around $300.

IMO those are the two best 9mm options for $300 or less. Getting all the way down to $200 will be tough though. I guess you've got Hi-point ($130-180), but I'd save up the extra $100+ for a SW or Ruger.

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I have to agree with many of the posts here and recommend a basic shotgun for HD. A $200-$300 handgun is...well, a $300 handgun and your options are severly limited. On the other hand a $200-300 Mossberg 500, Maverick 88 or Remington 870 is a fairly decent and reliable firearm.

Not knocking Hi-Point or S&W but pound for pound a shotgun is, in my opinion, a better choice at this price point, not to mention that you are potentially gambling with your life and that of your family on the cheapest pistol money can buy.

In a few years as time and finances allow you can pick up a decent entry level semi-auto or revolver from a broader range of options for $400 and up.

Best of Luck...

14. howquig

howquig New Member

Like sweeper22 said the ruger P series are good guns I picked up a P 95 in 9mm for like $350 brand new with 2 mags and I am very happy with it I have put about 700 rounds through it and havn't had a problem with it.

15. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

Cheap and dependable are words that oppose each other in terms of firearms. You might be sorry buying a "cheap" gun for if you ever need to use it for defensive purposes. Inexpensive and dependable is quite possible if you do some research and keep your eye out for a serviceable used pistol.

I would highly recommend that you attend a beginner class at an indoor range. Most of these courses will acquaint you with some very basic safety and will allow you to shoot a few calibers of both revolvers and pistols. A 3-4 hour class including guns and ammo is usually about $60.00.

Once you take a beginner class you can return to the range and rent either a revolver or pistol by the hour. While at the range check to see what is available in the way of used pistols. You can also check out some new guns and their prices. Ask questions. If you feel intimidated by gun salesmen, take your wife with you. Some of the gun salesmen expect a man to know guns and might come across as snobs. They always seem to take the time to explain more to a women.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  16. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

This is a good suggestion, my first hd gun was a Mossberg 500 that I got at a gun show for less than $200. That was all I could afford as well. It allowed me to sleep easier, and Develop a Hobby. Unless you need to carry, I would suggest this. Going to the an outdoor range and shooting sporting clays, is relatively inexpensive, easy to do, and loads of fun. Get proficient with a12 gauge and you will be more than adaquately armed.

17. philacious

philacious New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions...I like the idea of getting a .22 pistol to get used to shooting. Then maybe I will try my hand at some larger calibers in the future.

18. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Come on NGIB. Don't steer him in the wrong direction...LOL:D

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

+1 on the pawn shops. I bought a Ruger P90 for $200. It was a little scratched up. But it has a hogue rubber combat style grip. It is 45ACP. Good deals can be found. You just have to look for them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  20. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I started out in clays trap, skeet and sporting clays. I got a used rem 1100 which is still such a sweet gun to shoot. I then purchased a Browning Citori which is nice but i still like my 1100. That was about 10 years ago. I fell outta the sport but now am getting back into it and am getting a pistol for the home and the range.