Newbie Lube Question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Professor, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Professor

Professor New Member

Okay, so I'm slowly learning about reloading bottleneck cases. To lube them, I'm using a lube pad and RCBS lube. I have no complaints as to performance of the lube. What I am wondering is how "clean" does the brass need to be after the resizing. Is wiping them down (to clean off excess lube) enough? Or, do I need to wash/degrease the now re-sized brass?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer to use a little mineral spirits to get ALL the lube off.

3. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

I use Imperial sizing wax or Hornady Unique sizing wax as the case lube. Both of these waxes get applied very sparingly. I then dip the neck of the bottleneck case in a jar of BB shot saturated with graphite to dry lube the inside and outside of the neck.

After FL sizing, I simply vigorously wipe the case with a paper towel to remove all vestiges of case wax and graphite from the outside of the case body and neck. A film of graphite remains on the inside of the neck for ease of insertion of the projectile. It also lubed the inside of the neck for the neck sizing button to easily pass through.

I would add that so little of the case sizing wax is needed - just a very thin film - that it easily comes right off. The beauty of both Imperial sizing wax and Hornady Unique sizing wax is that so little gets applied to effectively lube the case for sizing. My one container of each may last my entire reloading lifetime, and likelly will.

4. Professor

Professor New Member

Thanks for all the help. Basically, I'm using the RCBS because it came with all the reloading equipment I was given. (I also have some Hornady "One Shot" spray but have yet to try it). I have heard a lot of great things about Imperial wax but again, I'm using what I was given.
    The die set is a 3-die Dillon set with the carbide expander, and I also bought a Dillon headspace gauge. I've re-sized quite a few .223 cases without an issue (although a few cases DID need to be re-trimmed after sizing). I'm going slowly and taking my time......this is a learning experience for me. I will probably just carefully wipe the cases (but change the cloth often) and get them really clean because I DON'T know if the RCBS lube effects the powder or primer. I DO know the Hornady "One Shot" does not effect powder.....but I'm not using it, I'm using the RCBS stuff on a pad.

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Though "One Shot" is more $$$ it is the easiest way to go. I have been using it for .243, .308, & 30-06, for a couple years. There is no worry about powder or primer contamination.
    Follow the directions. It's way way quicker.

6. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

I agree. I have RCBS lube/pad and the one shot. The pad will likely never be used again. If you are set on the RCBS lube and pad you can just re-tumble the brass. It takes more time and you'll need to make sure the primer holes are free of media afterwards.

The beauty of the "One Shot" is that it lubes inside of the case neck and the body at the same time. No extra steps.

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have 3 pump spray bottles of One Shot on my loading bench and their is a RCBS roller pad down there somewhere and if it ever turns up its going in the trash. I throw the brass in a ultrasonic cleaner and run it for 5 minutes and then rinse them under running water.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

8. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I just tumble them after I resize and prime them. Never had a problem.

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have done that too, you just have to check the flash hole to make sure its not stopped up with tumbling media.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app