Newbie here, need help with takedown rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by chrstian_indy, Jul 18, 2011.

1. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

Hello all!

1st off, I’m new to this forum. 2ndly I’m new at owning guns and would like some help.

I will break this down into 2 separate threads. One for Survival Rifle and a separate thread called Survival handgun.

Since this thread is for Survival Rifle- the title says it all.

I don’t or have never owned a gun. I do have my lifetime permit here in the state of Indiana.

That said, I’ve been doing some research on “TAKE DOWN” rifles. I will list them here shortly and would like some comments regarding the take down rifles and hopefully I can come to a conclusion and set my mind on buying one at the gun show next month.

Before I list them, here is my 1st question: What should I consider as a survival rifle (Bolt Action or SA?) and why?
    - Although I like the Bolt Action better because they require less moving part, which if it were to break, it wouldn’t cost me an arm or a leg. Also because I’ve read that they are easy to clean.
    What do you guys think? BA or SA?

*many of you might be thinking what I’m going to use it for. Like I said, a survival situation. Survival how? Well, hunting game and maybe also protection- WHICH the bolt action wouldn’t help me much compare to a Semi auto*

Here is a list of what I’ve compile (all of them are in .22). Reason? .22 ammo is VERY common and VERY cheap. In a SHTF situation, trading for this kind of ammo will be easy. On top of that, I can stock on this kind of ammo IN BULKS for a SHTF trading situation. I can trade .22 for food or misc items or maybe other type of ammo. I’m thinking of buying tons of .22.

Henry AR7- I’ve heard mix reviews on this rifle. I love the idea, I hate the reviews. I’m 90% sure I’m NOT going to buy this. A majority of people complain about the plastic bore and its jamming or fail to feed problems. Price runs $150 (used)- $250.

Marlin Papoose 70pss: I’ve heard great reviews on this rifle. Easy to assemble, and no to/little problems with it. I also like how the bolt stays open when you fire the last round. Price runs $150 (used)- $250

Browning takedown .22- I’ve heard a lot of great reviews about this gun. Love the concept and its potential. Price can range from $250-$500

Volquartsen FUSION TAKEDOWN- This comes in two options
    1. 17 HMR/.22 WMR
    2. .17 Mach 2/.22LR mode
    Price is a WOMPING $1,400-$1,800.

Marlin XT bolt action- The .22LR prices around $170-$240. You can adjust the trigger. Although this is “kind of” a take down rifle. You need a screw driver….and that’s about it.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPavLtceqs8]‪Marlin XT Instructional video‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    around minute 1:55 he removes the screws with a screw driver. My question is, do any of you know if I can replace the screws with a thumb screw, that way I wouldn’t need to use a screw driver?

These are some misc rifles I would like to own (not all just one, but not sure which one yet)

Sprinfield M6- After looking at some videos I know its kind of lame since it only fires (1) .22 and (1) .410. I know I’ll probably buy one of these just because the way they are build. Price runs about $4-$650 USED!

Savage 22/410- Very similar to the Spring M6. Price runs cheaper than the Spring M6, about $2-$300

Rossi Combo: Although I love the idea, you can only shoot one bullet at a time. Good for hunting large game, but not for combat survival situation.
    (they also sell these in 2 pairs, below are what they call the trifecta, or 3 pairs)
    MODEL S202250YM | 20GA / 22LR / 50CAL
    MODEL S202244YBS | 20 GA/22LR /44 MAG
    MODEL S2022243YBS | 20 GA / 22 LR / 243 WIN
    MODEL S42022243YBS | .243 / .22LR / 20 GA / .410 GA - NEW
    MODEL S1224350M | 12 GA / 243 WIN / 50 CAL
    MODEL S122250M | 12GA / 22LR / 50CAL

So there you go. Any help for a newbie is really appreciated. Feel free to add any takedown rifles I might have missed.

Should I worry about it being a bolt action or semi auto…..how easy/hard are they to clean…….are less moving parts better…..?

I would mainly use it for hunting, or protection. These are some random questions I have: Can you kill a deer or moose or whatever with a .22lr? and how long can you store frozen meat for?

Thx!

2. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Well, you have done your homework, that is for sure. But one thing I would like to add is the AR-15. The good thing about this rifle is it will be great in a SHTF situation. Parts are on the cheaper side to replace if broken, Semi Auto for a protection stand point and very very accurate if you make it that way. Also what is great is you can change the entire upper and make it a .22 at any time, or change to the a 5.56 for larger game at any time, or any other caliber you wish. Very easy firearm to clean and handle, very easy to fix, and very easy to "adjust" it to whatever you want. Yes, they make .22 versions of this rifle that you can pick up for around $600. The lower can be used for not only several different calibers depending on the uppers you buy, but there is also a cross bow that is made to attach to the AR-15 lower as the trigger group for the bolts. IMO, best all around gun for any situation you would run into. (minus a charging elephant or something) but then you could put the single shot 338 Lapua upper on an AR-15 lower as well soooo....

3. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

The only problem is, it's not a takedown rifle. I need something compact, easy to carry, assemble in the field type of rifle. Like i said, i'm posting a new thread on handguns, which would be my main quick draw survival weapon. The rifle is for hunting mostly, maybe some RANGE combat. But again, i'm more interested in take down rifles, although i appreciate your comment.

Keep them coming please!

4. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

2 very easy pins turns the entire rifle into this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To each their own I guess. Good luck!

5. Car54

Car54 New Member

Adding to cdd...you can add a .22 conversion kit to an AR for less than $200 with a couple mags instead of buying a dedicated upper. Saying that, the dedicated upper or an AR-22 would be a better purchase if the money is available.

Buy a spare lower parts kit and an upper parts kit and you are pretty well set.

6. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

That's alot of $$$$$$ for the gun + the kit. On top of that, too many moving parts. Looks like a great gun, but not ideal for a SHTF situation.

thx!

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Take a look at the KelTec SU16 series rifles. They fold in half by removing one pin. I think it could be exactly the rifle for you.

Link: Kel Tec CNC

8. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

hmm.....i like it.....i'm just wondering how long till that little hole breaks and it would hold the pin. Its carbon right? it where were metal than i would prob buy it. Notice "prob". I don't think this would be ideal for hunting.....

9. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Pretty much dead set on bolt or lever action huh?

10. CA357

It's a well made rifle. There are pins with rings on them, so they are super easy to pull out. Unless you plan on bashing the rifle against rocks and trees, I don't think you need to worry about breakage.

Th SU series rifles are intended for what you are wanting. They're lightweight, foldable, shoot a good round and are dependable. They also use AR mags which is a big plus. It doesn't matter to me if you buy one or not, I'm just putting it out there to give you some decent information.

11. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

Bolt or semi auto. I don't know which is better to clean, pros and cons. so far i haven;'t heard anything of what i've posted :(

Don't get me wrong, i like your guys comments, it's just i wanted them to be about what i've posted. I dont see how a keltec SU16 is good for deer hunting. I want to kill the deer, not put holes in it :p

12. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

bolt or semi auto. I kinda dont like the lever....

dont get me wrong i like ur guys comments, i just have my mind set on those i've mentioned above. Like i said, i'm mainly going to use it for hunting small/medium game- i want to kill them not blow them up :D

13. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

Bolt or semi auto. I don't know which is better to clean, pros and cons. so far i haven;'t heard anything of what i've posted

Don't get me wrong, i like your guys comments, it's just i wanted them to be about what i've posted. I dont see how a keltec SU16 is good for deer hunting. I want to kill the deer, not put holes in it :p

14. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Personally, dont know much about what you posted, only know about what I have had experience with. Again, good luck and hope you get your answers. Place picks up right around 6 PM when most people are getting home.

15. CA357

In your first post, you mention a bunch of .22's and 17HMR. If you want a deer rifle, why would you mention .22's?

Perhaps you should look a short Marlin lever gun like a Trapper in .30-30? You lose the takedown aspect, but it's a very handy carbine.

I guess you should keep researching until you can find something that will cover all your criteria.

16. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

Like i said, im a newbie. I dont know diddly about guns. I've read ppl killing game with a .22lr. Also i mentioned the Rossi Combo, which comes in 22LR / 50CAL. Correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't a 50cal kill a deer withing....100-200yds? any help is appreciated.

17. CA357

I think you should keep researching and also asking questions here. ;)

18. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

i know :(

ALso the rossi comes in a 243 win, which would be very good in hunting large game.

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chrstian,

Unless I missed something, the last thing I would want to rely completely on especially for self protection would be a 22 Cal anything. When the SHTF people are going to be desperate and attempt to take that which belongs to others that the want. More than likely the biggest task will be defending your family, food and property at home. You better consider having some fire power. Keeping in mind they also may have weapons equal or better than yours! I would recommend an AR Rifle at least! A 22 pistol would be a good choice, or 22 rifle for small game. But a shotgun would probably be better since it could serve as a meat getter for food from rabbits, quail with 6 Shot, to deer or whatever. It is also one tremendous weapon for self defense and close in protection with # 4 Buck, 00 Buck or Slugs. You wouldn't want to be carrying around more than one weapon at a time anyway. If you were caught out from the house with only a 22 and they come along with almost anything else, grab your ankles and KYA goodbye. Also selection of the caliber or gauge of ammunition is very important. You mentioned 17 HMR and etc. Not a real good choice if you should ever run out of ammunition, because it probably would not be easy to come by in those times. 22, 223/5.56, 12 ga would be. And of course if you acquired the aggressors weapons during this time I am sure there will be some ARs and Shotguns you could use the parts, ammunition or reclaim the weapons.
    Just some thoughts!

20. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Semi-auto or bolt action is just a matter of preference... I wouldnt really worry about a semi auto breaking, and IF for some reason it fails to cycle you can usually operate the bolt by hand.

I agree with Ca on the SU-16, there are a few different models to choose from each with different features. I dont see why you dont think it could be a hunting rifle, Im sure someone makes a hunting round for it..