Newbie.. help me choose a rifle!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JT426, May 3, 2011.

1. JT426

JT426 New Member

Hey guys;

I'm fairly new to rifles and am looking to purchase one of my own. I need help getting in the right direction. Here's what I'm looking for:

-I have about $700 to spend.
    -I want it in .308. I will also consider 30-30 and 30-06. I will be using it for hunting and medium range target shooting.
    -Glass is taken care of already so take that out of the price
    -Call me crazy but I prefer synthetics and polymers to wooden stocks
    -I want pretty decent accuracy at around 300 yards, if possible.
    -I have been looking at some Remington 700s, such as the SPS. It's priced great but I want to be sure that I'm getting a good rifle.
    -I've also looked at the Howa Axiom in .308, and the Savage 10FP.

I'm not too worried about length, portability, etc. so I prefer a barrel length/overall size that will give me the best results. Basically I want a decently-priced rifle that is accurate and reliable.

I apologize in advance if this request is far-fetched, against the forum rules, etc. Thanks for any help or replies!

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Welcome aboard, JT! When you get a moment please swing through our introductions thread and tell us about yourself.

The rifles you mention are all good choices, and fall well within your price range. You should try them all out and decide which one fits you best. It will come down to personal choice.

I prefer a Mauser style controlled round feed action, but of the ones you mentioned I'd go with the Savage, mainly because I have used them a lot and trust them. The Howa would be second choice.

I prefer older Remingtons to the new ones, so would probably hunt around for a used one before buying a new SPS.

But that is all just my opinion, and any of them will treat you well.

3. JT426

JT426 New Member

Thanks for the quick response!

I will definitely start looking around for a used 700!

Just for reference though, which of the various 700 variants are best for my intended purpose for the money? I noticed that there are plenty of different models; any recommendations?

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would seriously look at the HOWA. It is a big strong action that has the potential to be much more accurate than a 700 action.

The 700 SPS I would not really look at. The stock SUCKS to be nice. The quality has in my eyes gone down while the price has gone up and up. The SPS stock is a hollow piece of injection molded plastic that you will have to bed and fill to make it half way decent or just pull it off invest in a Bell and Carlson or other quality stock which will run you $250 and up. So go with the rifle with the better action and better stock.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you are looking for a good 700 I would look for a VSSF or a VLS. VSSF is Varmint Stainless Steel Fluted and the VLS is the Varmint Laminate stock. The VSSF comes with a quality HS precision stock on it from the factory. Or an older BDL.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=228064248

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  6. jayguy

jayguy New Member

Do you want a semi or bolt action:confused:.If you want a semi go for a m-14,ruger mini-30,or a sks.If you want a bolt go with a rem. 700.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I have a buddy saving up for a Remington 700 VTR... It has a triangular barrel and built in muzzle brake. Hes thinking of getting it in .308. The MSRP is $825 but hes found them for around $700+tax. I think last time they were on sale they were $700 out the door... That would be without glass, but you said thats already taken care of!!

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 VTR - Remington Centerfire Rifles

8. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Also check Weatherby Vanguard (basically Howa), they are just around $400 but really good for the money.

9. JT426

JT426 New Member

Sorry! Looking for bolt-action.

That VTR sounds like a great deal. I'll definitely keep my eye out for one of those for around $700.

10. Budd

Budd New Member

bolt-action

Sir:
    I would choose any bolt-action rifle from any of the major manufactureres. They all make good reliable rifles. Remington, Winchester, Savage, Ruger, Howa all have a model for every variation you can think of, to fit your want and needs.

I highly recomend the Savage 10-FP with a solid McMillan stock.
    Very accurate and reliable and don't fudge on the scope, get a high quality scope, too.

Budd

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

My vote goes to a Savage 10FCP.

Cabelas has an exclusive Savage 10FCP,that comes with a Choate tactical stock.They go for around $700,on sale for $650 at times.

This is one of my favorite rifles,and it shoots really good.

The pic is my 25/06,but the 308 is the same just RH.
    [​IMG]

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Tango, A Howa?? Never knew you swung that way. But, I could not agree more.
    I've had mine w/ a fantastic plastic stock for 15 years. I thought abought putting her in wood, but why mess w/ a great rifle.
    [​IMG]

13. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

While you are looking do yourself a favor and look at Winchester,Tikka,and Ruger.
    Just a personal bias but I do not care for Remington or Savage.Nothing wrong with the products,I just don't care for them.
    TGR

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Could you be a little more vague?

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I think he should be a little less specific.

16. JT426

JT426 New Member

Thanks for the tip. Haven't looked into those yet!

Is there a Remington 700 with a GOOD synthetic stock AND a floor plate/detachable mag for around $700 new?

Also, what does everyone think of the TIKKA T3s?

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  17. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

A common mistake is to look at things based on price. Having a ceiling I can understand but do not assume that a $700 rifle is always better than a $500 one. It is mostly the case but not always. Good luck!

18. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

Like I stated it is only a personal bias, many people love their Savage's and Remington's. This is as it should be, different people different preferences.

" Good thing everybody doesn't like the same thing. Everybody would want my wife"

TGR

19. DPSTX

DPSTX New Member

Winchester M70. Just sweet.

DPSTX

20. kenjs1

kenjs1 New Member

JT- most love the Tikka T3's and they seem to shoot very well and have good barrels and triggers. The number one thing that will make or break what you are specifically looking at, in my opinion, is the stock itself. Base model synthetics are notoriously cheap and flexible. You want something that is very stiff. To achieve this manufacturers started including bedding pillars or even aluminum bedding blocks (lightweight aluminum frames), usually in second tier models. Something to consider.