Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Just found this site link on another site (THR) and thought I would sign up. I frequent several firearm related sites - especially during the fall/winter months.

Lifelong resident of NY - note I referred to upstate in the title. I live on a rural area 3 hrs north of NYC and prefer not to be associated with that part of the state. We are considered "hicks" up here and only good for working on their second homes when they need to get away from the city.

After the recent display of forced passage of the most restrictive antigun laws in the country, I am seriously considering moving. I plan on waiting to see what shakes out of this in the regards of lawsuits, amendments, etc. before making a final decision. It would be tough as my wife and I have spent our entire lives here and consider this home - but along with super high taxes, lousy winters, and endless Left Wing barrage on our rights, I may have no choice. Also dread the thought of cleaning out 25 yrs of clutter and shipping it somewhere!

So that's my story - sorry for being longwinded but still in shock from what was ramrodded through last week by an overzealous politician with presidential aspirations. I never voted democrat and rarely vote republican cause I can't stand most of them - but will only vote for proven 2nd amendment canidates in the future.

Thanks for listening and looking forward to the site.
dalv

Premium Member
Welcome here from Oregon.

Registered
Welcome froma fellow frustrated "Upstater." I live about an hour from Niagara Falls.

I would advise you to not move. Help us fight the injustice!

Registered
welcome from a former upstater as well ... not as far upstate as you, but outside of NYC is upstate :p

I moved away in 93' because I thought NY sucked then, came back in 05' and left again in 09' ... it sucked even more. I wish you luck ... you folks will need it :eek:

Registered
I advise moving... Seriously. You can find the same beauty in Maine,
or you can enjoy snow free winters.

Either way, the cost of living would be cheaper, the taxes lower, and you could enjoy your passions and hobbies with like minded people. The hunting is better down south, as the deer don't die off in the winter, and they rut multiple times a year.

Bring your family and your guns, but leave your New York politics at home.

By the way, I am friends with a big New York ex-pat community down south. They love it here and never plan on going back to New York.

BTW...it's 73 degrees today.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks All,
Dog - Vt is great - we ofter drive over to Bennington and I have build several buildings in Benn, Brattleboro, and Rutland - told the wife it is definate possibility - not too far from home (1 hr).
LUB -yeah, plan on fighting first but Lefties are taking over, might be too late.
Mosin - where down south? No problem leaving the politics here - I hate all of the BS, just want to be left alone to shoot and reload. Don't even hunt anymore cause it got too difficult to find a place after my folks sold the land I grew up on. All the "citidiots" moved up and didn't want to hurt Bambi (until they ate their $500 trees and ran into their fancy SUV'S!)

Later

Registered
Welcome. I too am currently looking at other real estate.

Registered
welcome from a former upstater as well ... not as far upstate as you, but outside of NYC is upstate :p

I moved away in 93' because I thought NY sucked then, came back in 05' and left again in 09' ... it sucked even more. I wish you luck ... you folks will need it :eek:
Bennington, VT is actually the first place I was looking at after school 0.o

What's it like out there? Always good to take an opinion from a real person!

Registered
Bennington, VT is actually the first place I was looking at after school 0.o

What's it like out there? Always good to take an opinion from a real person!
I like it for the pace of life but economically it's not so good. Rutland and Burlington seemed to have weathered the economic turbulence better ;)

Registered
Well... I went for a drive with the windows down today, in this nice South Carolina weather (mid 70's) and noticed a yard with orange trees, full of fruit.....

That fruit could be yours.....

Leave the NY politics in NY, and come to the land of lower taxes, warm winters, southern hospitality, and a VERY strong gun culture....

Registered
Welcome to FTF

Welcome from Georgia. Glad you found us. Enjoy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh, doubly jealous! Not only can you guys enjoy free 2nd amendment but you can ride year round.
Not to worry - forecast is -5* tonight with wind chills in the -teens.
Argh! Gotta be a better answer:(

Supporting Member
dalv,

Welcome to the FTF! You will fit in her great! Hope to read threads from you in the future. You are correct Upstate NY is beautiful country and not at all like the trash of the liberal city. I went to Armorer School at Remington in Illion and took drives on the weekend in upstate! Fantastic wooded areas.
Have a neighbor who has a large rustic 2 story cabin and 7 acres down the road from me here in Tennessee in the middel of 100 acres for sale for under $150,000. It has room behind the house for a nice 100 yard range. I also have one at my house. They moved to Georgia for job position! Including mine only 3 homes in the 100 acres. View of Dale Hollow from the hill and porch of the cabin. And no State income tax in Tennessee! Come on down to God's country in the south! I wish all the good folks would move out of the liberal states and let them squaler in the mud of indebtedness and bankruptcy! That is too bad for the good folks in upstate NY and other states. But the politicians like Bloomgerg and Cuomo deserve no better!
Here is a picture of the area we live in!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Geez guys,
Didn't expect this nice of a welcome. Belong to other gun and HD sites where the people are decent but not like here. Thanks String and Snipe (and everybody else)
Don't tempt me with the land - I grew up on 90 acres, hunted, fished and had horses. It was a great way to learn and enjoy the outdoors. After the folks sold the homestead to retire in NC, I stopped hunting cause I didn't have the woods. Had to go to the state forest and deal with all the guys coming over from Mass., not like I was used to so I bagged it.

Joined the local gun club which is real good, can go break clays and put small holes in paper - love to tune the rifles with handloads.
Spent my career in construction and raised two great sons. Looking on retiring in the next 7-10 yrs but this crazy gov and his laws got me considering gettin out. Only problem is the Missus - she is a hometown girl with deep roots and loves the house I built her.

Snipe would love to get more detail on the area your in...never know! Might be an opportunity for a motorcycle trip this summer to check it out! We did the Blue Ridge on our honeymoon 30+ yrs ago and 10 yrs ago after my Dad passed in NC. Unbelievable scenery - very much like the Adirondacks that we head to every weekend during the warm months.

Anyway, I really appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to getting to know you all better.
Sorry for rambling
Dalv

Registered
to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

Please join the NRA, it serves all gun owners well.

Join the NRA << Click Here

1 - 20 of 22 Posts