Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know nothing about ARs. My cousin unfortunately passed away and he had a bunch of guns. This is one. Can anyone explain what kind of barrel or shroud this Bushmaster xm15e2s has on it? What's the thing on the shroud with like a pin? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but I have no idea what I'm looking at here. Thanks!
Musical instrument Wood Gas Auto part Flooring
Tire Wood Automotive tire Hardwood Musical instrument accessory
Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive design Bicycle part

·
Supporting Member
13,308 Posts

First of all sorry to hear about your Cousin!

The Rifle has what is called a Free Float Tube that covers most of the Barrel in the Picture. Which the Front Sling Swivel and Bi Pod Mount are attached to. I believe the thing you are referring to on the Barrel is Called a "Gas Block" which is in front of the Free Float Tube on the Barrel. The Barrel has a Gas Port (Hole) in it underneath the Gas Block. When the rifle is fired Gas in the Barrel also comes up and into the Gas Port and into the Gas Block. Which now goes into the Gas Tube pinned inside the Gas Block. The pressure then exits the Gas Block through the Gas Tube. The Gas Tube pressure goes back into the Receiver and then the Carrier Key on the top of the Bolt. Which operates the Bolt now traveling rearward, to eject the fired casing and then closes again to load the new "unfired" round.
Hope this explains and addresses your question.;)
If not let us know! There are several here that are very knowledgeable regarding the AR Riles.
By the way with good ammunition your new AR will be very accurate and is a good Rifle!
Have Fun and Enjoy!! Keep it clean and properly lubricated!
You will need to get you a good Red Dot or Scope for it.
*If you put a regular Traditional Rifle Scope on it, you will need one of these! To acquire proper
Eye Relief.
Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Composite material

Cantilever Mount. They have them in 1 inch Rings which most Scopes take that have 1 Inch Scope Tubes or 30MM should you go with a larger Tubed Scope.

Reactions: Chevymuscle218

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

First of all sorry to hear about your Cousin!

The Rifle has what is called a Free Float Tube that covers most of the Barrel in the Picture. Which the Front Sling Swivel and Bi Pod Mount are attached to. I believe the thing you are referring to on the Barrel is Called a "Gas Block" which is in front of the Free Float Tube on the Barrel. The Barrel has a Gas Port (Hole) in it underneath the Gas Block. When the rifle is fired Gas in the Barrel also comes up and into the Gas Port and into the Gas Block. Which now goes into the Gas Tube pinned inside the Gas Block. The pressure then exits the Gas Block through the Gas Tube. The Gas Tube pressure goes back into the Receiver and then the Carrier Key on the top of the Bolt. Which operates the Bolt now traveling rearward, to eject the fired casing and then closes again to load the new "unfired" round.
Hope this explains and addresses your question.;)
If not let us know! There are several here that are very knowledgeable regarding the AR Riles.
By the way with good ammunition your new AR will be very accurate and is a good Rifle!
Have Fun and Enjoy!! Keep it clean and properly lubricated!
You will need to get you a good Red Dot or Scope for it.
*If you put a regular Traditional Rifle Scope on it, you will need one of these! To acquire proper
Eye Relief.
View attachment 246506
Cantilever Mount. They have them in 1 inch Rings which most Scopes take that have 1 Inch Scope Tubes or 30MM should you go with a larger Tubed Scope.

Thanks so much! Defiantly gives me a better idea what I'm looking at and helps when I'm researching lol. Any idea what the term would be for that kind of bipod mount? I wouldn't mind slapping one on. Anything I ever owned just attached to the pic rail, same with scopes.

·
Supporting Member
13,308 Posts

I believe that is a Versa Pod Mount?

With that Mount I would say your Cousin has a Versa Pod Bipod around somewhere.

That mount alone on your Rifle is around $49.00 by itself.
So IMO he would not have that mount on the Rifle without having the Versa Pod Bipod around somewhere!
You simply remove the Bipod from the Mount if you are not going to use it at the time. Or it would not fit in a Gun Case with the Rifle.
If you can I would check with the family if you can!:)
Here is what it would possibly look like! The Hole in the attachment area at the Top of this Bipod slips over and onto the Stud on your Mount.
Tripod Camera accessory Cameras & optics Optical instrument Lens

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I believe that is a Versa Pod Mount?

With that Mount I would say your Cousin has a Versa Pod Bipod around somewhere.

That mount alone on your Rifle is around $49.00 by itself.
So IMO he would not have that mount on the Rifle without having the Versa Pod Bipod around somewhere!
You simply remove the Bipod from the Mount if you are not going to use it at the time. Or would not fit in a Gun Case with the Rifle.
If you can I would check with the family if you can!:)
Here is what it would possibly look like! The Hole in the attachment area at the Top of this Bipod slips over and onto the Stud on your Mount.
View attachment 246508

Awesome, thanks again. They have another bigger safe with no working combo. Who knows what is in there! Hopefully a bipod at least lol.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Awesome, thanks again. They have another bigger safe with no working combo. Who knows what is in there! Hopefully a bipod at least lol.
Also sorry for your loss.
Don't fret about the safe. It'll take a safe guy about 10 seconds to get into it. Hope you stick around. Lots of great folks on here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts