Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I am just "getting into" firearms and such. When you give me advice or anything in this forum, please try to be biased. I don't want to cause an argument, I simply want the best that I can afford at this moment.

With that out of the way, here is a summary of what I am looking for:
  • Shoots 9MM (I'm a wimp so I probably would end up on the floor or with a black eye if we go higher ATM)
  • Preferably has an external hammer/double action so I can fire without needing one in the chaimber (According to the local gunshop this is incorrect and it doesn't matter, you always need to "rack the slide" to load the chaimber but most videos on the Internet show the gun just firing. If it's wrong and the gunshop is right, please let me know so I can learn.)
  • I have held a few in my hands and found the PT-111 from Taurus fits well, so a "sub-compact" probably will be a better option (I don't want a snub-nose. They hurt my hands, and again, I am a puny human so a full-size is out of the question (according to the gunshop)).
  • My budget is a HARD $250. (I could flex slightly higher but not much)
  • I want a gun which is "mostly" reliable (80-90% preferred and will pew pew if someone trys to attack me or my family)
  • I don't care about US/Foreign Made (if it pews and works and doesn't weigh 7 tonnes, then it is fine)
  • I would like it to have hardware rails and a decent after-market support (I just want lighs/lasers, nothing fancy)
  • First, I just want a gun that shoots for home defence and practice and will then get into CCW/CCH/CCL about a month after I have practiced my head off and will probably carry in the waistband at 3 or 4 o'clock. (my hip bone is further forward so I will probably carry it straight on my hip because I find it somewhat easier in my practice draws than further back)
I know, it's a lot, but so far I have a few options layed out for me (in order of what I think looks best and based just on reviews and if I have held them or their cousins):
  1. First Choices
    • "Full-Sized" Taurus PT-809 (~$230)
      • I like this option because of all that comes with the gun. Only downsides seems to be the weight, some reliability issues - though not a concern to me - and the fact that it would be a pain to carry when I get my CCH/CCL/CCW
    • "Sub-Compact" Taurus PT-111 (G2) (~$230)
      • I like the option because I have fitted it to my hand and like the feel and weight. Only downsides seem to be the reliability (enough to make me worry) and the wear/tear that happens to the cheaper components
  2. Second Choices
    • "Sub-Compact" SCCY CPX-2 (~$230)
      • I like the option because it is very similar to the PT111 minus the loss of the mounting rails which is the only downside (and many reviews find it less reliable and slightly less comfortable).
    • "Sub-Compact" Ruger EC9s (~$230)
      • I didn't get to hold this per-se, but I did hold a similar Ruger that is the same size and didn't like the way my fingers set on the gun in my resting position.
  3. Third Choices
    • "Compact"-"Full-Size" Ruger Security-9 (~$310)
      • From what I have seen this gun looks like a decent competitor to the PT-809 and that's why it's on the list.
    • "Compact"-"Full-Size" Remington RP9 (~$300)
      • Looks good, but has a lot of bad going against it, that's why it's here for me.
  4. "I'm Desperate" Choices
    • "Full-Size" Hi-Point (~150)
      • Has nothing going for it but it is a gun?

I would appreciate any advice, any recommendations, and any information you can bestow upon me to assist me in my journey.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If your looking for practice a sub compact that can conceal is a good option. In all honesty something that fits your hand in 9mm and conceal ability. I enjoy my Glock 19, 26 and 43. If I were to do it all over again I would strongly look at the S&W MP9.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Used SIG SP2022 in 9mm. For your budget that's your best choice with your parameters.
I've seen them used for $350ish in my area. YMMV. If you can't afford it all the way in a private party deal then see if perhaps you have something worth a trade to cover part of the cost.

·
Administrator
26,448 Posts
Welcome! Glad you found us!! And yeah, this is a good place to ask questions. We try not to pounce on and berate newcomers (we let you settle in and get comfy-THEN we pounce on you when you don't expect it...)

Regarding double action/ single action- in the case of an auto loading pistol, neither one CHAMBERS a cartridge. YOU do that by dropping the slide when there is a loaded magazine in the pistol. Single action (like the traditional 1911A1) means that the hammer must be back in the cocked position before a trigger pull drops it. Double action (P-38 pistol) means that the hammer can be down, and pulling the trigger will cause the hammer to move to the cocked position, then fall.

One of the good things about a 9mm Parabelllum- the ammo is cheap. If you are on a budget, you can still afford to shoot it.

·
Banned
16,157 Posts
i would also suggest if possible finding a gun store or range that rents various pistols that you could try out to see what really works for you.

the size of the pistol makes a lot of difference in how it reacts to recoil and your perceived level of being able to manage that recoil. so the a smaller pistol in 9mm may have totally different perceived recoil for you than a full sized much heavier pistol. that needs to be taken into consideration. also smaller pistols are much easier to conceal if one carries the pistol. no brainer there. but most people that carry smaller pistols because of the higher level of perceived recoil carry them, but usually don't use them for simply range or target practice shooting. they tend to shoot them just enough the be able to shoot them in life or death situation.

given your budget, you might also look at used pistols as well. you should be able to find a nice well maintained used pistol and open up your options at huge discount over buying new. might even be some haggling room there as well on used one, vs. a new one. if you are not fully familiar with pistols and knowing how to check them out, find a family member or friend that is competent with guns to help guide you through checking out any pistol, new or used.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Downside to the guns you mentioned is that they cost an arm and a leg. Thank you for the clarification regarding the different action types.

You mention ammo and i had a question regarding if it says "9mm luger" if just normal 9mm or is luger the "normal"?

·
Banned
16,157 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Downside to the guns you mentioned is that they cost an arm and a leg. Thank you for the clarification regarding the different action types.

You mention ammo and i had a question regarding if it says "9mm luger" if just normal 9mm or is luger the "normal"?
9mm alternate names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×19mm_Parabellum#Synonyms

and there are other 9mm cartridges that are totally different, and will not, or should not be used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_mm_caliber

Reactions: jstacklin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For a new shooter I would suggest the Ruger security 9... Or find a used Ruger SR9e. I personally would go with striker fired
I have actually been eying the Sec9 but it's a wee pricy (I'd like it a little lower) plus it's a full-sized gun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately in Ohio.. I live between Columbus and Mansfield (the two largest perceivable cities in relation to me) meaning I have an hour drive each way to a decent range. I don't even know if there is a range in my town, TBH. But, I'll keep it in mind if I ever relocate myself to a larger city.

Would there be any sites which you could recommend that would offer used pistols?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen them used for $350ish in my area. YMMV. If you can't afford it all the way in a private party deal then see if perhaps you have something worth a trade to cover part of the cost.
only downside is that is WAY over budget. Budget is under $300

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think if you keep your eyes peeled you could find a used 9e in your price range. They feel really good in the hand
Good for conceal tho? I want a one-stop-shop gun in the price range that I can get the entire kit and I would prefer new over used if applicable.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Unfortunately in Ohio.. I live between Columbus and Mansfield (the two largest perceivable cities in relation to me) meaning I have an hour drive each way to a decent range. I don't even know if there is a range in my town, TBH. But, I'll keep it in mind if I ever relocate myself to a larger city.

Would there be any sites which you could recommend that would offer used pistols?
Check armslist for your area?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts