New Yugo SKS

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by shootsathing, Oct 17, 2011.

1. shootsathing

shootsathing New Member

Just Bought n shot my first yugo sks....but by golly it took some cleaning...over 4hrs.........the carbine came with the strap, oil can / pouch, ammo pouches, pull thru and a complimentary 500 gallons of cosmoline nicely ooozed into every crevice......i had ammo, bought 20 stripper clips....
    Took it out sunday for 8 ten round clips......flawless and fun....heavy but a blast to shoot...did you know that the bayonet when folded down gets HOT!...My advice: Don't throw a well fired Yugo over your shoulder on it's strap 30 secs after you shot the hell o Yugo SKS.JPG

Yugo SKS Sans Bayonet.JPG

Yugo SKS Bayonet.JPG

Yugo SKS Front Site (Day).JPG

Yugo SKS Front Sight (Night).JPG ut of it!!!

2. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Sweet! Got to love a SKS. Nice looking rifle and glad you are enjoying. I personally think everyone should own at least one SKS, as well as a Mosin. :D Thanks for sharing your photos.

3. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

My Norinco SKS has been nothing but great for the 19 years I've owned it. It's been nearly trouble free in that time and what problems I've had were either ammo related or related to a parts "upgrade" I did. As soon as I took the firing pin out that I upgraded to the problems stopped and haven't come back in years. It actually worked great until I combined it with a trigger job and the two didn't work together very well. BTW I highly recommend a trigger job. I cut my group size in half by having that done. Kivaari is the guy to do it IMO. Well worth the price of admission.

4. shootsathing

shootsathing New Member

Got the Mosin-Nagant M191 and a Nagant M1895 revolver

5. 762

762 Member

i love my sks too, just a good old fun gun to go shoot, and cheap too.

mine has feeding problems but that's due to me switching to detachable mags.

6. shootsathing

shootsathing New Member

New Yugo, new question

Okay so i've got a question:
    Directly in front of the fore sight housing, on the barrel there is a double ring with a wire ring in between...if you look at the pic above of the bayonet the rings sit directly above the knurl of the bayonet lock/slide. What's it for??

7. 762

762 Member

the grenade launcher maybe?

8. shootsathing

shootsathing New Member

Yugo

This is the part in question
    YUGO FRONT.jpg

m1a2gren.jpg sans grenade launcher

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  9. shootsathing

shootsathing New Member

i think it does belong to the grenade launcher but it doesn't seem to do anything.......

10. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

Looks like a bushing to keep the back end of the grenade tube centered on the barrel. Shooting a cockeyed grenade would probably not have the desired effect unless you were playing high stakes Russian roulette.

Dave

11. shootsathing

shootsathing New Member

I think the pic of the grenade launcher doesn't show the launcher seated all the way back, the thing prob "snaps" over those rings..not only to shoot straight but maybe also to hold the thing on there.......[ame=http://youtu.be/QbiRdfR7EZ0]SKS grenade launch - YouTube[/ame].....

12. KidsWithGuns

KidsWithGuns New Member

Sks was my first gun I ever bought and I love it. It took a little bit to get dead on the target but after lots of practice I can hit the target no problem at 75 yards. And if you ever get bored of the sks go look at SG Works conversion kit to make ur sks in to a bullpup its pretty sweet.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I think it holds the grenade and adds stability to the bayonet when extended...