New York AG Seeks to Dissolve The NRA

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by alsaqr, Aug 6, 2020.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

ellis36 likes this.

2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Can't see how any legal agency in the U.S. has any authority, whatsoever, to dissolve such an organization.

It has every authority to investigate, examine and charge on accusations of specific crimes. And those crimes can be addressed in a court of law.

Of course, it's all but certain dissolution IS their end-game, here. They want the NRA and all similar groups gone. All the better to set fire to the RKBA's ostensible protections in the BOR.

The wolves are at the gate, so to speak.

God, do I despise what such attorneys (DA's, AG's) can do when they get riled, despite to what the rule of law restricts them.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    bluez, locutus, primer1 and 5 others like this.
  3. alsaqr

The NRA is chartered in the state of New York. The NY AG has the authority to investigate allegations of wrong doing in non-profit organizations chartered in that state.

For decades Wayne La Pierre and his minions have run the NRA like a fiefdom, aided and abetted the board of directors. Members of the NRA have absolutely no voice in the running of the organization.

Do not underestimate Letitia James. She dissolved the Trump Foundation piggy bank and fined them 2 million dollars.

The NRA Foundation is a charity, chartered in Washington, DC. That organization is being investigated because the organization, among other things, made sweetheart loans to the NRA proper.

W.T. Sherman and jigs-n-fixture like this.
  4. G66enigma

Charging them and holding them accountable for specific acts is one thing. But, forcible dissolution? I'd think that could only occur if it could be shown to be a criminal enterprise a la the RICO type groups it was initially designed to go after (the mob, gang businesses, etc). A few "bad" (corruptly done) loans and other shenanigans aren't all that different than, say, a corporation that cooks its books. Charge 'em, fine 'em, prison sentences for the criminally guilty, sure; but it's hard to show how any such has authority to close out a corporation forcibly simply because of such acts.

I suppose I am showing my estimation of such people. Hopefully it's not an underestimation, the law being what it is and not what it's not (despite what "enterprising" attorneys such as this wish it would be).

Caveman Jim likes this.
  5. woodlander

woodlander Active Member Lifetime Supporter

If we are really fortunate, this will lead to a new organization that will do a better job of representing the interests of its members. Stay tuned for reality.

AgedWarrior, 7point62 and Ghost1958 like this.
  6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

There are plenty already out there - Gun Owners of America,as well as most states have State formed Pro Gun/2nd Amendment organizations.

Rifling82 and Ghost1958 like this.
  7. woodlander

woodlander Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Good point. Maybe this is their time.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  8. Sierra 173

Sierra 173 Active Member

Sounds more like a political move to attract attention to her for her next election effort more than anything. I can see a liberal wacko at election time saying, "See? I tried to take on the NRA!"

At best she might be able to disrupt NRA activities, some of them, inside of New York state but that will be short term and the NRA will rebound with a vengeance. In the long run, this action may hurt her more than help her.

schnuffleupagus and locutus like this.
  9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

All I have to say, is what I can not really say on Social Media! And these AG's and DAs in the USA are ______of______in my opinion! And also those who attack our rights for their political agendas. Seems if you look at them closely and their profiles, they are almost all carbon copies of each other and one in the same.;)

10. alsaqr

This is an election year, where are the NRA political ads? Everything the NRA owns is mortgaged to the hilt. Wells Fargo dropped the NRA credit line. Wayne La Pierre and his cronies accomplished what the anti-gunners failed to do: Destroy the NRA.

W.T. Sherman and 7point62 like this.
  11. alsaqr

12. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

No great loss if it is dissolved.
    That will get NRA out of the way of and shyponing money from actual hardline RTKABA orgs that actually do support the 2A as written.

Shopfox and Txhillbilly like this.
  13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I've been a Lifetime member of the NRA since I was a young kid in the 1960's. I haven't sent those clowns a single dime since ole Wayne took charge. That jackass needs to be hung from a light pole,as well as all the other so called leader's of the NRA.

7point62, primer1, ellis36 and 2 others like this.
  14. G66enigma

An op-ed from National Review about the attacks from the NY Attorney General's office.

New York’s Lawless NRA Lawsuit @ National Review, 8/6/20.

locutus likes this.
  15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

sounds to me like Letitia is just being a good little communist.

towboater, Sierra 173 and Txhillbilly like this.
  16. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

They are either too small or too weird to be relevant. As of today, it’s the NRA or bust. If Letitia succeeds there will be a giant sucking sound as America’s gun rights are flushed down the toilet.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Unfortunately, you're right. The little "splinter" groups are either too small, or too radical to gain any public support.

NRA, good or bad, is the only group that they fear.

GOA, CCRKBA, GOAL etc might be able to influence small town council election, but they do not help elect U.S. senators.:(

Sierra 173 and Mercator like this.
  18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

She is getting some flack from some in the Democratic Party!
    Saying that was all they needed was a war declared on the NRA and the US Gun Owners right at election time. She certainly would have some of the extreme leftist followers on board with her no doubt. But they stated a lot of the "traditional" Democrats in the US have guns and many are infact members of the NRA and their Second Amendment position. If they have a problem with Wayne La Pierre so be it. But to attack the entire NRA organization and millions of gun owners, sportsmen and sportswomen (being you and I) may have been a sword in the back for the Democratic Party as a whole at this precise time?;)
    And I hope it was! When will they ever learn that when you mess with the Bull you more than likely will get the HORN!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Sierra 173 and locutus like this.
  19. G66enigma

Huh. Interesting.

Perhaps, just perhaps, some of them are starting to get it. As in, a mindless burn-it-to-the-ground approach is going to affect many people, and they're starting to appreciate that. Perhaps they can think of the larger picture ... that of the RKBA. Similar thinking with this mild resistance "those types" are showing might well help in defending the RKBA. After all, if penny-ante attorneys and AG's can go after organizations in their entirety, then they can easily turn that similar burn-it-to-the-ground approach on any entity or thing standing in their way.

Get skittish about having no NRA 'cause they're members? By the same thinking, those same sorts should get skittish about having no RKBA if the same people come attempting to burn IT to the ground, like the "leading" progressive Dem has stated in his essential platform. They're coming for the arms, the manufacturers who offend them, the lack of fascist controls on the RKBA in many states, etc. Of course, Biden would need to yank what's-his-name into the "fold" in order to be the chief BOR Burn Pile Czar. It's all coming, if we let it. They've said so in loud, almost impossible to ignore, words and deeds.