Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
At least 18 years ago, L.E. agencies were provided gun locks and safety materials at no cost by the firearms industry to address this problem. My office gave out several thousand at various public places. It was popular with everyone and a positive thing for the firearms industry. I provided them to our two local gun stores (free of course) as well. Typical of this administration - ignore the positive side, claim credit for something someone else has already done, and break their arms patting themselves on the back.

Makes me wanna chew tobacco.

·
Retired
13,714 Posts
By forcing gun dealers to provide the boxes is another way to make firearm possession expensive.
Dealers have to buy boxes and pass the cost on to the customer.

Even those who only provide transfers are affected.

Reactions: sheriffjohn

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Well, I'm confused again. I always thought that people killed other people with guns if a gun was used. The gun didn't decide to shoot anyone. I have said in the past that we should concentrate on dealing with the people that use guns (or anything else) to harm other people. Today, that doesn't fit the narrative since DA's have decided on "no bail" for felons and people that are here ILLEGALLY that use guns to shoot people. So, what good does it do to lock up a gun when the person that theoretically unlocks the gun, shoots someone with it then is let go with no bail and not prosecuted by the liberal DA? Logic tells me to deal with the PEOPLE that harm other people. WHO is going to provide locks to gang members and others of that ilk that don't use registered guns in a place where registering guns is arguably unconstitutional? I'm still confused and think these orders are illegal. I was taught that the legislators were there to make laws not one person. I really don't think I'm confused. This is done by autocrats illegally. Gun locks have their place. Dictators don't have their place in America.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Hm. Haven't had time, yet, to dig through all of the 1968 GCA, but was it (as pointed out in the article) that Congress crafted that requirement, or is it that the current Administration is crafting new law (as claimed)?

Seems a fairly minor thing, for a shop to have a locking doohickey of some sort available for sale. Heck, they could have qty=1 of a thing on a back shelf, somewhere, yet not overtly advertise it, and be kosher with the 1968 GCA crap. Maybe.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Last couple firearms i bought were new, the store added an extra signature line to acknowledge i received a lock with the firearm.
As far as the whole issue of requiring locks, i dont think criminal activity is what folks concentrate on, but rather negligence. It isnt the 25 year old criminal that gets people. It's the 4 year old that shoots themself, a friend, or family member. It's the teenager that gets the gun and suicides.
Lastly, its the fallacious argument that we should be able to prevent all crime and death. We can't.
Some injury and death is acceptable. Sad, but acceptable.
What is it they say? "Perfect is the enemy of the good."

·
Retired
13,714 Posts
The people behind the creation of new gun laws that restrict the legal gun owner, fail to understand that the problem is not with guns, but the human factor to how guns are used.

The main goal is to remove guns from us.

Reactions: Southernguns

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
The free gunlock program "Operation Child Safe" is from the National Shooting Sports Foundation and still going strong. According to their website, they've provided 40 Million safety sets and other materials. If a gunlock is sufficient to satisfy the requirement, it's already been done, voluntarily, by organizations and agencies who know the problem exists and have been on top of it for decades.

Next may be charges against gun owners who fail to secure firearms against misuse by criminals, children, and whackos. Oh, wait, don't some places have this already?

Makes more sense to instruct U.S. Attorneys to actually file charges in cases against violent felons and flagrant violations of existing law. Too simple and it would require effort on the part of Federally paid employees.

·
Retired
13,714 Posts
Federally paid employees are like missiles.

If they don't work, you can't fire them.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
For years every new gun I have bought came with a lock from the mfg. I have a box full of them.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I was gonna say, I have quite a dang few little padlock/cable gun locks. They come in handy for various things.

Make no mistake, all this gun control stuff has zero to do with safety, or protecting children, even though that's their cry every time "for the children"....it's all aimed at restricting your 2A rights, or chipping away at gun ownership in general.

There are far too many examples of ridiculous laws they claimed were "for your safety" that are absolutely meaningless, and in some circumstances, the alternative is worse than the thing they ban.

The average politician isn't smart enough to craft law concerning something they know zero about. Like most of what they do, it;s all pandering to their base to get reelected.

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
I don't see what the issue is, more money for the dealers sell a storage device with the firearm. From what i can see they just need to have the devices available in their stores if someone wants to buy one.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The issue is more government "mandates" telling businesses what they have to sell. Inventory sitting on shelves is lost revenue when it sits and sits. After a while, that inventory has to be sold at reduced costs because a newer more shiny version becomes available.

We already have one city in this country that has mandated "gun insurance" for its citizens and if they don't comply, their guns get confiscated.

It's simply another tiny bite the government is taking out of the gun industry as a whole.

It's onerous government, period.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,727 Posts
As the article states, this is aimed at dealers selling used guns. The gun manufacturers already supply a cable lock with each new firearm that I am aware of. Have been for years now.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
I absolutely agree with the concept of death by a thousand cuts is the path they are taking.
I also believe that education is the answer. Period.
If some people have to die because of others' negligence, it's sad and sucks; but if it means protecting natural rights for all of us i guess the greater good wins.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I can’t remember being in a gun shop that didn’t have plenty of safes of all different sizes. One place I frequent has at least 30 to 40 large safes at any time not to mention the hundreds of small lock box types. If this is the worst they come up with Yawn.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty much all of my LGS's don't sell safes or lock boxes or any of that. If you want one of those, you have to go to Tractor Supply, Rural King, or Dunham's Sporting Goods.

One of the bigger ones I went in and asked about safes, they said no, take up too much floor space, so they don't sell them.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Pretty much all of my LGS's don't sell safes or lock boxes or any of that. If you want one of those, you have to go to Tractor Supply, Rural King, or Dunham's Sporting Goods.

One of the bigger ones I went in and asked about safes, they said no, take up too much floor space, so they don't sell them.
Me thinks their goal is to force FFL's out of business - especially those that aren't storefront types. We need to see a copy of the regulation as the press release isn't very complete. Regs on storage requirements to sell black powder in approved container forced many to abandon handling it - but there was no uproar, so many just stopped. When they figure out limiting access to ammo will be more effective than limiting access to firearms, we'll be in deep trouble. Stand by for a ram.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts