New XDM

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TheSadPanda, Jun 28, 2011.

1. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

2. opaww

opaww New Member

Its made for competition shooting not much good for CCW, and sense I don't compete with anyone but myself I don't need it.

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

It appears to be a fine choice for a competition firearm, but regarding a carry, home defense, or range firearm I don't think it would be a good choice for that.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Cool pistol!
    This non-competitive shooter wonders about the big port in the slide and why they didn't port the barrel too?

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The port in the slide is to reduce the weight to offset the added barrel length so that the 5.25" model weighs the same as the 4.5"

6. taihawk

taihawk New Member

This is probably a dumb question.....but.....

What is the difference between a competition gun and one for self defense? Showing my true novice colors here.....what specifically do you look for and what are the positives/negatives of one vs. the other?

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Competition guns have longer barrels for a better aim sight radius to improve accuracy. They often have additional features which are great for accuracy and speed in competition, but not so great for carry: flared magazine wells for easier loading, adjustable sights, heavy barrels, barrel ports, add-on optics, etc.

Self defense guns tend to be trimmed down for ease of carry and quick retrieval from a standard holster.

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The biggest positives a competition firearm is that it is built for accuracy and speed. The negatives are that they generally are too big for concealed carry or atleast would be difficult to carry, they tend to have excessive amounts of additions like optics, ported barrels, extended operations like the slide release and magazine catch. Carry firearms tend to be lightweight and compact making it easier to carry and conceal. Some of the advantages are things like slim grips, shorter barrels, and ect. Some of the negatives are things such as limited magazine capacity, less weight to manage recoil, smaller frame so it takes more to get use to the gun, and ect.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

prolly decent for slow fire events but the lightweight will make it very difficult to control in rapid fire. but i dont compete handguns so im prolly wrong.

not impressed its another poly gun

10. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I was really hoping for a Compact 45 ACP or a Full Size 10mm. Anyways, here it is:

[​IMG]

11. orangello

orangello New Member

[groan] Don't get me droolin over a 10mm XD. :(

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

10mm... eh.
    357 Sig... interested.
    Compact 45... getting more interested.
    Single stack 9mm or 40... now that would be something really worth considering.

13. lkd

lkd New Member

Having owned XD(m)'s before, and having used them in competition, I can tell you that I am not inclined to get one. My personal experience is that "stock" XDms have poor grip material when your hands get hot and sweaty. You really need something rougher. If I were to shoot another XDm again, I'd have to slap skate taps on the grips. That being said, the other changes mean that the pistol might be worth looking into, although I doubt I'd abandon my Glocks or 1911's.

14. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

It's also so that different handloads can be used because the slide will cycle faster. I think