New xdm 40 paint?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by griffin81, Oct 31, 2011.

1. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Well I just got a new xdm 40 and I really like it. I was doing some looking on line and saw a guy use a white crayon to fill in his stampings on his xd and I liked the look. So I got out some enamel paint that is baked on with uv light and here were my results. I was just wanting to know what u guys thought and please feel free to say if you don't like it.
    image-2784370877.jpg
    image-1720684042.jpg
    image-1680392127.jpg
    image-557680676.jpg

play the victim, be the victim

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. Toll13

Toll13 New Member

I gotta try that

Sent from a Droid...but not the one you are looking for, move along.

3. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I also did a Taurus 380 too in red and black and baked it in a uv box for 30 min.

image-1694661050.jpg

image-2638532627.jpg

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Looks good. Looks like it takes a steady hand.

5. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I have a trick to doing it that makes it really easy I can do them in about 15 min each u just have to have the right supplies. I just hope it holds up to gun cleaner I put a coat of clear over it and baked it 2 time again in the uv oven and cleaned the residue off the slide I well do some more slides and see how they hold up.

6. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I'd like to do some other people's daily carry guns and see how it holds up.

7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

damn, there's a really long thread on XDtalk about that topic :)

I used nail polish

trick is to get some kimwipes (think glass cleaner tissue), hoppes gun cleaner, and patience.

Let the nail polish dry, take the folded tissue and barely wet a corner, LIGHTLY rub on the surface, frequently changing to another corner. Get most of it off and reapply the nail polish. 3rd coat may or may not be needed. My gun's finish is not sensitive to acetone, ymmv, I take a tissue that is mostly dried from acetone and do a quick LIGHT wipe to get the last little bit of residue off.

Note: Gold Metal Flake is a B!TCH, crap got EVERYWHERE. SWMBO wanted it on her 22, unfortunately it got on my 22, it got on my XDM, got on my work bench. She loves the job on her 22 tho :)

8. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I did one coat with a baked on shellac that is cured with a vu light and then used a tight nylon fabric to wipe the excess off and baked it then wiped it down with alcohol let it dry then applied a coat of clear and rebaked it and used the alcohol to wipe the sticky residue off and rebaked it twice to make sure it was finished. I have all colors of this. Can't wait to do some more I used to do this on shift knobs years ago. And never really thought of trying this on gun slides.