New Winchester 70

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by YoungGunWill, Mar 5, 2010.

1. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

I bought a used Winchester model 70 in 30-06 springfield. Just for kicks-and-giggles I was wanting to know the production date of it. Its in the G237XXXX range, I have yet to find anything...

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Do you know anything about the weapon itself? History, lineage?

If you have a pre-1964 Winchester Model 70, that is the Rifleman's Action and is HEAVILY sought after in the custom rifle build arena.

I know that Winchester used to give you all the first purchase information free of charge if you called them with your serial number. When it was produced, where it was sold, etc. I don't know if they still do that.

When I got my first pre-'64 I was able to call them up and find out mine was sold over the counter out of a Sears & Roebuck ( before Roebuck got 86'd from the picture ). It was a cool piece of history, but then I went ahead and made a tack driving super rifle out of it. :D

If it's a Pre-'64, I'll take first dibs if you want to sell. ;)

JD

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010

3. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

thanks, I found it in a pawn shop that was closing down and immeadly fell in love. I will call and ask about it info, and post it!

4. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

Sorry Dillenger its not a pre 64.:( couldnt find the actual date but I found out that it was produced after 1981

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's okay brother, you still have a really well built action. With a little love and some practice, that rig will take care of you well.

JD

6. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

thanks! im saving up for a M40A-1 stock from McMillan, then it will blend with the forrests of western Kentucky. You said you made your 70 "a tack driving super rifle" if your willing to share some wisdom, I'm all ears

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Where to start???

Okay, I did a TON of reading on long range shooting, tactical shooting and "factory" loads.

A few books that I can recommend are:

Ultimate Sniper - By John Plaster

Sniper & Sniper 2 - By Mark Lonsdale

Accurizing the Factory Rifle - By McPherson

I learned a ton. Or so I thought.

Then after a ton of research and phone calls, I met my gunsmith who would later become my friend and mentor.

My factory rifle was never intended to stay factory. All along I wanted to do a custom build.

Once I went and knelt before the alter of all that is accuracy, this is what I ended up with....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-308-winchester-tactical-rig-3836/

8. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

After I found out that the model 70 was used by Marine snipers in vietnam, i went to the Mcmilan bros. site and found the M40a1 stock, im wanting to do a recreation of the M40 anyway. I will gather knolwage of long range shooting, tactical shooting, and Sniping. I will also look up the tendinices of the 30-06 at long ranges

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Carlos Hathcock and Chuck Mawhinney both used Winchester Model 70's in .30-06 for their time in Vietnam.

Both of them shot bone stock, heavy barrel "sporter" style rifles, wood stocks and a 10 power fixed Unertl scope.

The .30-06 is a devestating round for game and "other" targets. It has very good range and very good power.

With the Model 70 long action, you have a flat bottomed action that is easy to glass bed and has very good end to end stability.

You should be able to put some work in on that action and make a real fine shooting piece out of it.

Good luck and keep us informed.

JD

10. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

:eek: Carlos Hathcock! Well youve put a smile on my face 10 miles wide:D 10 power fixed Unertl scope has now been added to my list, im still sore from doing odd jobs for quick cash but now its DEFINITELY woth it! oh PS your work with Gunneys' 45 was amazing! i have an idea of a good heirloom 1911 line but were in a Long gun section of the forum so PM me if you are interested!

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, I didn't say the 10x Unertl was the best choice of scope, just that factually, that is what they shot at the time. the USMC Snipers of today have Schmidt & Bender scopes that can do MUCH more for them.

And I appreciate the kudos, but that work on The Gunney's 1911 was done by Dave Lauck of D&L Sports. Not me. LOL. If I had that kind of reputation, I probably wouldn't have 12000+ posts on here, I would be building guns and making big cash. :D

12. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

Gotya, a little more time and money and the stock will be mine. I got lucky today, a freind gave me a Simmons 4-12X40 scope so Im going to hold back on the Unertl or Schmidt & Bender.