New vs Used Firearms

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CA357, Oct 10, 2009.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I thought this might provide an interesting topic of discussion and also be helpful to folks new to firearms.

When I was just getting back into firearms, I initially wouldn't consider anything but a new gun. As I became more comfortable and knowledgeable I started buying used firearms as well. I've gotten a few used lemons, but I also got one or two new guns that were lemons as well. Now, I just buy what I like if it seems to check out well.

Of course, I realize that many firearms are no longer in production, so if I want one, the best I can do is find a used one in good condition. What are your opinions about used versus new?

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think you've hit on a big topic in regards to use firearms. My first handgun was an new XD. I liked the way the XD felt and fired but knowing little about handguns at the time I wanted a new one for the factory warrenty. Since then I've learned more and I feel more comfortable buying a used one. I've owned several new and used handguns since.
    My very first gun as a very slightly used, looked like new Winchester 1300. I bought it at age 12 with my dad's help and it has functioned flawlessly in the 15 years I've owned it.
    Having said all that, I think the reason I have had good sucess with used weapons is because they were great weapons when new. If a good weapon, Winchester 1300, model 70, Mossy 500, Ruger GP or SP, S&W 19, 29 etc...can be found used odds are it will function. When I find a used weapon I might be interested in, I research the crap out of it if I'm not familiar with it. Just remember, you can't polish a turd.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've bought, sold, and traded a number of guns over the years. My ratio of used to new guns is probably about 8 to 1 or so. I've learned what to look for and I feel very comfortable buying used - it allows me to get a lot more gun for the money...

4. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Right. All you get is a shiny turd. So far I haven't seen any used guns I'm interested in (although the Romanian PSL I just got probably qualifies) other than M1 Garands. I haven't bought any...yet...but, as you noted, I'm not familiar with them so I'm researching the hell out of the items of interest. This site (Collecting and Restoring The M1 Garand) seems to be helpful.

5. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I have gotten most of my guns new, but I do have a few used ones also.

I have a chance in a couple of weeks to get a used H&K .40 with night sights and three mag for a very good price so I think there will be another used in my future :D

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I buy used guns all the time,you just need to know about what your buying,and what to look for. Some models are known for problems.
    I also buy new guns from time to time,but you can save alot of $$$ buying used,especially when you find someone in a financial bind and needing quick cash.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Great topic, in my book.

One can find very good used revolvers at a great price, as I have done. The easiest and most 'no worry' used guns are pump shotguns and revolvers, if you know what to look for. Just as used cars can be great buys if you know what to look for.

A used semi handgun can be a crap shoot, imo. There are great deals out there, and just like anyting else....If it seems too good to be true, it usually is. I have never bought a used semi, but I have looked at a few. You need to take them apart to see what you have. Look for broken springs, missing parts and the like.

That is why a used revolver is easy to check out. Does the cylinder have side to side play?...

When buying used, one needs to know what to look for based on the mfr and the like.

New, purchases should consider mfr and mfr warranty. I can not expect the same out of the box performance of a new firearm as a used firearm. Educating yourself about what you are in search for is the first step.

Good thread. :D

8. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Used or New, BOTH OF COURSE?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

When the Topic of New or Used firearms come up, I always say YES TO BOTH! As a few have mentioned they BOTH have thier place? Due to my Finincial Sitiation I have been buying used gunsfor a long time now, But, Once ina whiule I see it as a good more to buy new? I bought my Rock island Arsenal 1911A1 45 ACP Pistol clone new, as well as my M-95 Classic Browning High Power MK 3 clone new! See Pics of 1911A1 45 clone and BHP Clone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were to replace the same guns I sold off when I was out of work, but buying even the used Origional models seems silly to what I can buy the new closes for? In the case of my AK, a Well used Egyptian AK-47, it was a deal and a Half, I got it from a guy i knew going though a bad Divorce (Is thier any other kind), and thought it was a decade ago, it was still a deal, I got the Rifle, 12 30 rnd mags a 10 rnd mag and 2500 rnds of ammo, for $375? LOL My AR, is a Franken Build, a Used Rock River Lower and a Olympic Super match upper in 20" and all is Painted Desert Brown, see pic:

AK and Desert Warrior AR:

[​IMG]

When is it right to Buy new and when right to buy used? You wilol know it when ya see it? Thats my advice? LOL

RON

9. WDB

WDB New Member

I think if you are new to firearms new is the way to go. If your expereince with firearms there are many good deals to be had if you know how to check out the firearm. If looking at a used semi auto you should know how to feild strip it and do this to inspect before buying. You may not see all the issues but you can see excessive wear or poor care pretty easy. I buy both but often if I can find it used I will go that route and safe some $.

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Like I said, I've had good and bad with both used and new firearms. Sometimes it's buying a pig in a poke, but sometimes there's diamonds to be found. ;)

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My FFL is an 03 C&R COLLECTOR'S license- most C&R guns are 50 yrs old or older (there are a few exceptions) so MOST of what I collect is definitely in the Used category. And I love it. Sitting here looking at a LOVELY little Remington 552 Speedmaster 22 rifle I got about 2 weeks ago. Gently used, but obviously showing sign that it was not brand new- but in very good operating condition.

Broke it down, gave it a good cleaning (GAD- 22 ammo is FILTHY stuff!) Bluing looked good, but no longer that nice shiny blue of a new rifle. About 2 hours while watching a movie, buffed the metal with a soft cloth wetted with light oil. Stock and forearm showed usual small handling marks in the finish, and one light scratch about 6 inches long on the stock. Another soft cloth, and a teaspoon of Formby's Tung Oil finish. Rub until wood gets warm.

I now have a well loved rifle that looks really good, shoots great, cost me 1/2 of what a new rifle would have cost, requiring only the investment of about a dollar in materials, and some time.

New guns? Sure- just picked up a Ruger Mk III- and it is lovely. But so is my Ruger Standard that I bought in 1970. One of my prettiest was a Remington 660- bought from a pawnshop.

Find out what to look for for, shop carefully, and be willing to haggle a bit (gently, politely- The question "Got any wiggle room on the price?" will frequently get you a drop if you look like a serious buyer)

Anyway- where am I going to find a NEW Mossberg 144 or 46B, when they stopped making them half a century ago? :)

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

In my area you are going to pay more for a used gun that a new one. Not sure why case in point Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 it was beat the hell up about 20 years old treated like a red headed stepchild and they wanted $2000 for it.

Remington 700 VLS 22-250 used $800 without scope new $700.

I know they price them like that for a reason but all of my last buys have been new.

13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Just my personal preference but I would only buy used if I knew the owner. Two problems with used in my mind, liability first and foremost, if that gun is stolen or found to be involved in a crime and I now own it, well that's just attention I would prefer to avoid not to mention the fact that I would lose my gun for evidence. Second is every used gun I see I question, why is this person selling this gun, was it a lemon, is it not accurate, does it jam? I know people sell for many other reasons especially with times being tough like they are now but guns are not like cars, guns hold their value quite well. It's not worth saving a few bucks to get a lemon in my opinion.

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Thanks for proof positive of what we are sure you are who you are. :cool:

15. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

Most of my guns are used that I buy....I just research them first check the rifling to make sure it all looks good to me.

Since I don't know much about barrels and rifling though I make sure to get rifles that I can easily find or have a barrel made later on.

I always but used Revolvers and shotguns though...can't go wrong with those guys....well as long as you pay attention.

16. WDB

WDB New Member

At least where I live it's easy to check if your firearm purchased private sale isn't hot. The state police and the local sherif's department will run the serial number for a miinimal cost and send you an email or letter letting you know the firearm is not stolen. It's a great document as it show when you purchased the firearm and had it checked. It doesn't register the firearm in your name just proof that it wasn't stolen and provides a time line when you purchased the firearm. The rest is up to the experience of the person purchasing the firearm. Know the firearm you are purchasing well and inspect it. If you don't know Sh&t about firearm then take the time to learn before you buy. I believe most of the used firearms I purchased where bought by people who bought them new and had no concept of what they bought. After shooting them learned it wasn't the firearm for them, some are from people that traded up, others are from those got the firearm from a family member and have no use for it and some are from people that need to sell to make the rent/pay the bills. In twenty years of buying used firearms I never purchased a hot gun. I have gotten some good deals but nothing out of the norm. If it is too good to be real it just might be.

17. OC357

OC357 New Member

I have bought both new and used and have had no problems. That said, I try to research them and check them carefully.

I guess the safest bet for used is from a dealer. There is one local dealer I know that will let me test fire a used one. Just walk out the back door and try it out. I stop over there and just get myself in trouble.....haha

OC

18. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Good Points made?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Good Points made by all and thanks for the comments! I do have to agree with WDB and Yunus, as well as Sage advice by OC357, If your new to the game or Not Buying from someone that you can count on to back the Used gun or a shop that you know will, a New Gun might be a better bet, But as age, time and experience get under your Belt, you learn to look for what ya need to see, wear and tear, bad abuse problems and as in Buying a car, IT'S ALWAYS BUYER BEWARE? I have to admit, I have been Lucky and no one took advantage of me in my early Gun owner years and I learned what to look for and what nto to? I can Look at a Used handgun or Long Gun and what wear is normal, Nominal or excessive, I have learned to cheak the fit and Finish on many a used firearm so I don't get taken! Can it still happen, SURE? I know of a Trade on a 45 I did once could have turned out badly, the Guy was a Dealer at a show and I traed a Used S & W Model 39 in the Box in excellent condition, I traded for a Star PD a small Consealable 45, the 39 was like new the 45 I found out that night had a Cracked frame? The dealer refusted to Give me my trade back, but once I made a few P.A. Announcements of his Busiess Pratices on the Public PA for the Show, once he heard that a few times and customers started asking questions, he came looking to Trade me back? All in all had that been an individual Owner and same deal I could have lost out? I did inspect it but the crack was hard to see and hard to find even once ya knew what to look for?

RON

19. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

I’ve had good luck buying used guns. They are all worth more than I paid for them, I can’t say that about the new ones I have. I did buy all but one off of gun dealers. It was a Ruger mini-14 that had a missing part. Firing it caused no damage and I replaced the part for under $10. I knew this person. He had got it off a local gun store a few months before and needed the money. I paid $300 with two stocks, case, 20 round mag and some ammo. I bought a new MAK90 with a canted front sight that hit 4 ½ inches off at 50 yards. My best buy was a Colt 380 Mustang Pocketlite for $260 in 1997, which I have seen selling for $700 now.

20. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

I have no problem buying used guns.

Know what you call a new gun that has been fired one time? That's right--a used gun.