New Varmit / Target Scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Patrick Sperry, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry New Member

Neil Seastalkingbear has picked up a Marlin 22/250 X7VH and is working his magic on it for me. I am wondering what glass set up to get and would like to hear from other members about what worked, what was sold as great but actually sucks, and so on.

I will be loading my own ammo, and will be target shooting out to around 600 yards / meters as well as removing prairie rats from the eco system out to about the same distance. Good Lord guiding my shooting that is!:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try and keep this part of the project under $700.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

For just a little more,you can really get a vastly better quality optic.
    I prefer the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes,depending on which style,they run from $750-850. Or the Sightron SII Big Sky scopes are also very nice,but have 1" main tubes,so you don't have as much adjustment range.
    The Weaver Super Slam or Tactical lines are also very nice scopes that come in 3-15x50 or 4-20x50. The glass is excellent in these,and the Tactical and Euro versions have First Focal Plane reticles in them as well as 30mm main tubes.
    The Vortex Viper and Viper PST scopes have a big following,but IMO,their glass isn't as good as the scopes listed above.But,they do have other extras that the others don't offer.
    The Ziess Conquest is also an excellent scope,and has some of the brightest glass in this price class,but it lacks adjustment ability with a 1" main tube.

For scopes under $1k,these are the ones that I'd suggest.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  4. jp_over

jp_over New Member

+ 1 on the Zeiss Conquest line; excellent product that I've used with success.

5. Patrick Sperry

Thanks folks, this is exactly what I needed to know. I love my Conquest! However, my concern with one was that the cross hair stays the same width, and I was afraid that might cover up a small target. Like a Prairie Dog head at extended range.

That said, it appears that I will just have to drive a few more miles, and spend a few more green dollars. Any advice on rings for the same scopes? I know to do a lap job and torque properly.

It's been ten years since I lost most of my firearms in a fire, and I am really looking forward to this project. I lost a 22/250 Remington in it that I had from way back and am really looking forward to getting out with one and popping a few song dogs, etc.

6. jp_over

jp_over New Member

Warne rings have served me well though it's been about 3 years since I've shopped/researched them.

7. Patrick Sperry

Thanks JP! Just had two troops from the 173rd get off the truck after OTR training that had been there in Afghanistan. Thank you for your service!

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I only use Burris Signature Zee rings on my optics anymore.
    They are the best rings that I've ever used. I use them on 22's - 300WM's.
    No lapping,and absolutely no scope rings ever on your optics. Plus with the different insert's,you can have 0,+/-10 moa,or +/-20 moa without using a rail base.Or they can be used to align a scope due to the receiver holes not being true to the bore of the barrel.

9. jp_over

jp_over New Member

+1, one these.

10. antikythera

antikythera New Member

pretty much any nikon scope, vortex scopes and zeiss scopes are gonna be pretty good although zeiss may be pushing the barrier.

11. garyalarson

garyalarson New Member

+1 Vortex and sleep like a baby.

12. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

In an earlier post, Weaver Super Slam 4-20x50 was mentioned. This is a very nice scope....own 2 of them and one 3-15x42 super slam.

Club I'm a member has a 600 yd range. Seldom shoot there, but when I have, used a rifle with a 4-20x50 Super Slam on it since they are on my most accurate rifles. Scope has enough vertical elevation to adjust it for trajectory at 600 yds. Optics in a Super Slam are quite good. Very clear and bright at all powers and very comparable to higher priced brands. You should be very pleased with any of the scopes adjustments too.

Might want to check the super slam prices at www.natchezss.com After checking Natchez prices, compare them to SWFA, Amazon, Optics Planet, Midway and etc. You should find Natchez the lowest priced.

Depending on the reticle Natchez prices are from $580 to $630 (plus about $15 shipping) Weaver presently has a $100 rebate on the 4-20x50, but not sure all three of the versions of it qualify. Recently bought the dual-x model and sent in my rebate info to Weaver.