Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

New to the forum. My grandfather just gave me one of his old Browning A-5 Shotguns and I have decided to start doing some research into some of our old family guns.

My main purpose in joining was to post an ad in the Wanted classifieds section but it looks like you have to have 25 posts and 10 days before you can do that. My grandfather has an old Winchester Model 1890 that he traded the stock and "inards" for so he could shoot .22 long rifles out of it. He traded with a guy that had what I believe was a Winchester Model 1906. So someone out there has a Model 1906 .22 (shorts only) with mismatched serial numbers and the curved shoulder-fitting stock of a Model 1890. The serial number on the forward/barrel section of the Model 1906 should start with 141XXX and the serial number behind the trigger on the stock section should start with 613XXX. My grandfather's Model 1890 is essentially the opposite. It was his father's gun and may have even belonged to his grandfather at one point (that would be my great-great grandfather).

Anyway... I would appreciate some direction as to what the best method for tracking down the proverbial needle in a haystack would be.

Anyone have similar situations or luck? I know my Uncle (on the other side of my family) once tracked down an old family heirloom shotgun that had been lost in a bad divorce. He stumbled across it at a gun show. So maybe I just need some blind luck.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
21,822 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Welcome from Venezuela

Welcome and glad to have you around!:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome to FTF from about 45 min. south of u In Wharton TX.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Welcome to the FTF!! I have a Winchester Model 90 that my Dad had modified from .22 short to .22LR back in the 50's.

Was my Great Grandfather's gun and has served three generations well.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts

·
Banned
3,409 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts