New toy

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Hawg, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Hawg

Hawg New Member

1863 Sharps business rifle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Hawg good looking boomer & nice case color on that lock. Mickey

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Hawg -- very sharp. LOL
    Tell us about it!

4. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Its an IAB(yeah I know)made in 96. It has a 29 inch barrel, one inch across the flats. I haven't slugged the bore yet and the twist rate is 1:52. Not sure how that's going to stabilize those big ringtail conicals but we shall see. Wood to metal fit is pretty good with a little proud wood in a couple of places. Metal to metal is good. The lever could have been finished better at the hinge but its not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. I don't care for the wood finish and will end up redoing it. The bluing is a flat black, almost looks parkerized but it doesn't look bad. It doesn't have long range sights but is drilled and tapped for them, that's what the two proud screw heads are for. I've used vernier sights before and didn't care for them anyway. All in all I'm pleased with it. If it shoots half as good as it looks it'll be a keeper. If not I'll trade it for something else.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I thought it needed a tang sight! Thanks. It's Sounds like you sorta fell into it so good on you. Everyone should have one. Let us know what caliber it is when you know and how you get it to work on the range. Bring a few different bullet weights...

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice-looking rifle!

7. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Nice rifle there Hawg.

8. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Beautiful gun but I'm jealous. I really want to add a Sharps to my own safe one of these days. ;)

9. drboompa

drboompa New Member

Very nice! 45-70 cal?? I hope to have one some day! I would really love to have a Quigley one! That would be the most for me!

10. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Its a .54 paper cutter. It uses paper cartridges loaded from the breech and fired by a musket cap.

[​IMG]

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

good looking rifle Hawg!

looking forward to hearing more about it.

12. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

That thar, is a humdinger of a rifle!!