New Toy

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by plumbernater, Nov 15, 2011.

1. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

I got this the other day. From what Ive found out so far, is its a SVT-40 prerunner of the SKS. I havent got to shoot her yet, but cant wait. Had to clean her really good. Had some kind of sticky stuff on the stock and still had cosmoline in the internals. The guy who had it wasnt much on cleaning. Shes working smooth now. I also got a butt load of ammo with her, and dont have much in it as far as money[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. sunshineshooter

sunshineshooter New Member

It looks like a great little gun! All the SKS's are known to be highly reliable shooters and this looks be be along the same lines of that classic design. Great find! Is the mag fixed?

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

She looks to be in great shape ;).

4. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Thats a beaut.. looks much more aggressive then the typical SKS. I just purchased my first SKS over the weekend. Haven't shot her yet either. Been spending some time getting acquainted first.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

7.62x54mmR is a bit more impressive than the 7.62x39mm my SKS handles.

SVT-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I was thinking the same thing. When I saw it was chambered in x54R, it really made me want one.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

-Fred

7. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

I got the SVT 40 for $ 200 along with a bunch of ammo for it 7.62-54. I learned today that the SKS replaced the SVT because the military wanted a shorter rifle and the medium rang bullet. It was allso produced at the Tula armory Russia. HO yes and the mag does remove. 10 round

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

What is the overall length on the SVT? I thought it actually looked shorter then my Type 56. Could be the picture angle

9. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

SVT really wasn't a well made rifle it has numerous problems. I could go on & on, there great for the Cruffler but not for much more than a collectors piece.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

10. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

Its 48 inches long, and pay the man behind the drink sign no attention

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  11. trip286

trip286 New Member

You gonna try to do anything with that electro pencil marking on the bolt handle? Would it even be legal to do anything about it?

12. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

Probably not it is ugly isnt it. Just going to enjoy shooting the old girl. Was even eye balling a nice custom stock for it on ebay but the guy wants about what I have in the gun for it so I let it slide. I noticed on gun broker SVT 40s going from $1000 to 1500.