New to this site, here is what i am working on

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Nathantc, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

OK I love precision rifles.
    That said IM working an a lightweight AR15 to just run irons on. I ordered a lower and parts kit today and already have an upper in mind, but I have no idea where I can find a BCG and a CH for less than $100.
    My goal is a light build with pencil barrel for less than or right at $500.

It can be done.

Here is the look IM after
    [​IMG]

I have that same stock and every thing but no BCG and CH picked out.
    If u guys can help it would be very cool of yawl.

Here are my two favorite rifles that I have to date

ASA AR-15 (custom build)
    Savage 93 .17hmr (custom build)
    [​IMG]

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the bolt carrier group is going to be costly for a quality item. and as you have said, you are after a precision rifle and for $500. well anyone will tell you that knows rifles, your barrel is one of the most important item when it comes to accuracy. and accuracy doesn't come cheap. you might be able to put together an AR for 500, but a precision AR, possible but not likely. it would, IMO be pure luck to achieve that goal. my last m4a2 cost me about 750 used in good condition. i gave a lot of thought to building one and will build one soon, but realisticly, i plan on spending about 1500-1750 on it! quality parts all the way.

3. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

No I was stating that I do like precision rifles. This is going to be different then what I already own.

I don't have a basic rifle to just run iron sites with.

Look that the AR I do have. I know precision isn't cheap
    [​IMG]

This will be just a lightweight tactical build.

Sorry for the confusion.
    This is meant to be a cheap reliable accurate enough home defense and plinking rifle. That's why IM looking for a cheap bolt carrier group and charging handle, even if its some ones take off parts from a resent upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. Axxe55

check out Brownells, Midway, Rock River Arms and Bushmater. they all sell parts for the AR's. just a suggestion, buy qaulity parts, the money spent, will be money well spent in the long run. buy cheap parts and you will be replacing them with new parts and your savings just went out the window. if you have a 500 budget, shop around for some good used quality parts or just save your money up until you can afford better quality parts. this advise comes from past experiance, many years and guns later!

5. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

ok just picked up an A2 upper for $20,
    now just need a complete barrel assembly, BCG, and CH on the cheap.
    i prefur to find a pencil barrel
    [​IMG]

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

That AR is sexy.

7. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

wich one, my ASA with the 24" bull barrel or the M4A2 im building:cool:

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

The one already built. How does it shoot?

9. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

100 yards
    [​IMG]

300 yards
    this one had one odd flyer,,,,i think it was my fult but not sure, its at the top left complete off target
    [​IMG]

3 shots at a quarter sice dot at 300 yards
    [​IMG]

all this was done before my accushot monopod, and tomarrow my 3lb timney trigger should get here. then im going to try again at the 300yard mark and see what she can do

this is the trigger im waiting on
    [​IMG]

the 100yard target was done at an indoor range, the 300 yard was on my property and was slightly windy. when the trigger get here and i get a sunny day with no wind then we will see how she shines.

10. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

google earth pic of my property and target at 300 yards
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Holy crap dude, are you shooting across someone's backyard?

12. Axxe55

yeah, his own! i wish i had the space for 300+ yrds of shooting range. that is some nice shooting and i love the views thru the scope, nice! you got a nice start on your next AR. you might really come in at 500 if you keep shopping like you are. good luck.

13. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

hahahaha no, there's 20acrs total, the large brick house is my parents, and its not into the Google earth photo but straight off to the left of my trailer is my brothers trailer.

My mom never gets out and when she does she never go's to the back, my dad is not home during the day and its open as hell

I would like the think that every one look at the area, and the area behind there target before pulling the trigger any how,,,,,atleast I know I do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well I've had more intelligent moments...

15. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

just an update of the two
    [​IMG]

16. Axxe55

nathan, glad you got finished with it, it looks good and hope you enjoy it. thanks for posting the pictures. BTW, how much was the final total on the build?

17. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

around 3k on top build, and with lighte and every thing else around $600 on the bottom build

18. Axxe55

nathan, you said you were going to build one on the cheap and you did, well i am impressed with your ability to stay close to the budget you set. really is a good looking rifle and you done good for $600! way to go!