New to this; Need Help re 410 shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by barbmcc, Nov 30, 2011.

1. barbmcc

barbmcc New Member

Many years ago my brother died and I'm starting to deal with his things. There is a 410 shotgun in a case and was wondering how I determine its value. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Post some pics, S/N's , make, model etc.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Barb,

As Vincent stated. We need pictures, Brand Name, Model and also the condition of the inside of the barrel. It's condition should be clean and shiny inside with no pits or rust on the inside of the barrel. If you can get a picture of the inside of the barrel when you (Hinge the Barrel) Open it back by the stock. Without the above information it would be impossible to give you any positive information.
    Looking forward to assisting you!

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING...
    • MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHETHER THE GUN IS LOADED. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO CHECK, HAVE SOMEONE COME OVER THAT KNOWS HOW.
    • TREAT THE GUN AS IF IT WERE LOADED.
    • KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT COULD BE HURT, DAMAGED, OR KILLED IF THE GUN WERE TO GO OFF.

Now with that out of the way, take the gun to a range or to a gun shop and have some folks look it over. Make it clear you are not trying to sell it just yet, but more or less your are trying to figure our what you have. Get several opinions before selling.

And maybe consider keeping it.

5. barbmcc

barbmcc New Member

It says 174377 under the trigger, so that must be the serial # right? It also says Bay State, Worchester, MA on the metal part. I just uploaded a photo.

Attached Files:

6. barbmcc

barbmcc New Member

I will try to get a look at the inside of the barrel. It is not loaded, I know that for sure.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Most likely an H&R. They used the trade name Bay State for some single shot shotguns. Bay State Arms went out of business in about 1902. The shotgun pictured does not look that old.

H&R shotguns are inexpensive, but decent quality arms. There is little collector interest in such shotguns. Value would most likely be less than $100.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Looks like a H&R $150.00 new at Wal-Marts, I would not take less than that if it`s shootable........