New to this forum. Need help decided on shotgun.

Discussion in 'Ohio Gun Forum' started by Young_Shooter60, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Young_Shooter60

Young_Shooter60 New Member

First off, I'd just like to say this is a great forum, and I'm glad I found it. Secondly, hello all.

Now, to the business. I am 18 (almost 19), and I am recently a new firearms enthusiast (go ahead, make fun), but nevertheless, I love shooting guns. This past deer season was my first season, but to no avail. I missed my first buck, a little one, but still my first buck. I was using my New England Firearms Pardner (go ahead and make fun again). I want to upgrade to a new shotgun, and I need help deciding. My stepfather uses a Remington 870 Express tactical w/scope and I love it. However, I don't know if that is necessarily the best choice for deer hunting. I am getting a new shotgun for my birthday in like three weeks, and I can't decide what to choose. I'd really like an 870, but I figured I would ask some "experts". The most I want/can spend is $500-$600. What shotgun will give me the best bang for my buck? (Pun definitely intended) :) :confused:

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Benelli Nova, $399.99 to $549.99 depending on options.

3. Young_Shooter60

My friend has one... are they good? Also, I forgot to mention that I am looking for a 12 gauge, unless there is a particular 20 gauge that is better.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Benelli guns are top shelf.

You have to decide what you want. I turkey hunt with a 12, pheasant hunt with a 20.

If you plan to hunt waterfowl, get a 12.

Don't be afraid to check around for used guns, you may find a nice auto-loader in your price range.

5. Young_Shooter60

I've heard nothing but good things about them, so I was trying to get a first-hand account of them.

Do you suggest 12 gauge for deer? Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I'm new to hunting. Also, I don't know the regulations on buying used from a private party and I don't want to unknowingly do something illegal.

6. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Out of all my shotguns my Benelli is my go to gun

Attached Files:

7. Young_Shooter60

I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you.

8. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

Mossberg 500 combo! You can get 12 g or 20 g as well as two barrels for it. Smooth bore and a rifled barrel. Great gun and very accurate for a good 100 yards. Then you can have your deer gun and a small game or clay target gun. For the price you might be able to score a decent scope for the rifled barrel as well.

9. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Gander mtn. has these on sale the Mossberg is a good deal I have 3 500s all shoot good.

Attached Files:

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Gun shops sell lots of used guns, private party is not the only option.

11. Catfish

Catfish New Member

In my oppenion the 870 Express would be your best buy for the money. I have acouple in 12 ga. and 1 in 20 ga. At one time I also had a Mossburg 20 ge. and it was a real nice gun to carry and hunt with, but I think that the Rem. is better made. If you going to scope the rifled barreled get one with the canaleaver mount.

12. Young_Shooter60

I decided to go with my step dad's 870. I'm getting a great price on it, so I couldn't give it up. $400 and it comes with both barrels, sling, and a scope. But thanks everyone for your input!

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The expert on defensive weapons VP Joe Biden says get a Dbl. barrel shotgun. With a shotgun you don't have to aim. Just have your wife blast the back yard from her porch. Of course the dumb "F" ignores the fact you would be arrested for discharging a firearm in DC.:p

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  14. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Good deal, enjoy it. Now go buy yourself a clay pigeon thrower.

15. ohiomike

ohiomike New Member

If I might add, I have been hunting deer for over 40 years and up until a few years back (when I bought a muzzle loader) I always used a Mossberg 500. For the money its about the best you can buy, hands down. Not saying a Benelli isn't a great shotgun, but for a beginner a Mossy is a great gun. I have several barrels for mine. A smoothbore 24" slugster barrel with rifled sights (deer), a 24" rifled camo barrel again with rifled sights (deer), a 28" modified barrel (pheasant and other small game) and a longer full choke barrel both with glow lite sights. These guns can quite often be found used for a very reasonable price. A friend just sold his to a young man like yourself for $125 with an extra barrel although you may not be able to find such a great deal, and maybe you might find an even better deal. I have hunted deer, rabbit, ruffed grouse, pheasants, timber doodles, quail, ducks and goose with mine. I've had it for 40 yrs now with no problems whatsoever.

If you buy one used, any brand, I would advise shooting it before buying it unless buying it from a gunshop where they will stand behind it if it has a problem.

A scope is great, but with the distances you normally shoot deer at you can do well without one. Let me warn you though, once you shoot through one its hard going back to open sights....lol. At least it was for me.

And the advice to buy a clay pigeon thrower is a great one. Practice makes perfect.

Best of luck, be safe and have fun

oops, didn't see you already made your choice. An 870 is a great gun! No go have some fun....!and I hope you have great success.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013