New to the world of 45-70s, looking for load data!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SoCOgunner92, Mar 6, 2013.

1. SoCOgunner92

SoCOgunner92 New Member

Hi all, new to the forum! So far I have found lots of useful info. I just sold my ak-47 for a nice profit and wound up buying another toy... A Marlin 1895SS Guide gun in 45-70. In the summer I usually camp where the animals can turn out not so friendly, and this gun will be my new camping/hunting rifle. I reload my own ammo but until I can cough up the dough for a die set I figured I would gather info on what some great backwood loads are? What do you use? Are they safe loads in a Marlin? And do they have knockdown for angry black bears? Info and stories are all welcome! Thanks a ton!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Buckeyeborn

Buckeyeborn New Member

No knowledge but brother has one it was fun to shoot

3. blindshooter

blindshooter New Member

The 45-70 is a cool rifle and has less recoil than some other deer rifles.
    This rifle has never had a deer run off when shot with a 325 gr. Hornady FTX.
    For larger game you might use a 350 gr. Swift A Frame.
    Welcome to the club
    This rifle has a Kahles 3X9 and it stays zero, but any good scope will work.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

12-14 grains of unique seems to be a popular load of course you could always use bp.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

45-70's have done the big 5 and elephants. buffalo bore makes some really good hardcast solids that will do wonders on bear or moose

i would suggest springing for a bear proof ejector from wild west guns and one of their aluminum followers to replace that sheap plastic follower. they tend to shatter in cold weather under stiff recoil locking your feed tube solid.

the xs ghostring sights with rail is a fantastic addon. allows the use of qd mounts for optics and still retain reallllly good irons

here is my 1895gbl ignore the acog i put it on there as a joke they arent usable on a lever gun

[​IMG]

the round there is using a 350 grain hornady soft point. i typically use 405 grain hardcast flatpoints. VERY accurate bullet in my rifle. 350 grain is a little light for great accuracy but usable for deer or bear.

[​IMG]

unique is a very fast pistol powder not a good idea in a rifle cartridge. in the 45-70 14 grains of unique is verrrrry dangerous as it doesnt fill much of the case and can easily cause detonation.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I will share the warning. I know more than a few people who use that.

8. SoCOgunner92

SoCOgunner92 New Member

Well thanks for the replies! Great folks on here. I just got home from firing my first box of rounds and all I can say is this rifle and cartridge combo is sheer amazing. It handles really well and sounds like artillery! I didn't have much for targets set up but I threw a Gatorade bottle out on my home range and cracked it at around 50 yards. I can say I have a new love! I put on a nice recoil pad and I am looking into the accessories listed in the replies. The factory loads I did manage to find were light 300 grain Federal hunting round but it was fun as heck. I can't wait to try some hand loads beefed up a bit, and have it ready for camping.
    I am adding a quick picture of my Marlin after I shot it

Attached Files:

9. SoCOgunner92

SoCOgunner92 New Member

Sorry about quality, took it with a phone

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Stay away from hornady leverrevolution ammo. The cases are way way short. Short cases like the hornady can cause excessive fouling ahead of the throat and subsequently cause actual length cartridges to jam in the chamber or difficulty in chambering.

Works much like shooting a bunch of 2 3/4 shotgun shells out of a 3inch chamber then using a 3iinch shell jams right up and sometimes rips rims off leaving a stuck shell.

11. SoCOgunner92

SoCOgunner92 New Member

Great info, I actually looked at those. Glad I stayed away until more research was done!

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

its the same problem when you fire 38special out of a 357 and not cleaning the chamber really well.

i just dont like the idea of using short cases in a chamber unless thats all your ever going to use.

beyound the short case thing which makes loading the hornady brass a pain in the *** the hornady lever bullets dont shoot for crap in my new make gbl since marlin on the new rep marked barrels switched from that crappy micro groove rifling you find on most of the jm marked barrels back to the good ballard rifling that works superb with heavier 405 grain cast bullets.

you hear people say stay away form the rep barrels but if you do your mising out on the ballard rifling for cast bullets and bullets actually made for the 45-70 that makes that gun a real beast. a lot of that bs comes from folks that buy a rep made marling shoot some 300-350 grain bullets and proclaim its junk since it wont group well. try it with some bullets that are actually made with the old style 45-70 in mind and your looking at extremely good accuracy.

marlin only produced the 45-70 with the jm stamp with ballard rifling only briefly most are micro grooved accuracy with such is spotty. all the rep stamped guns are ballard style cut rifling. these guns excel at shooting cast bullets.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a manual and/or go to Hodgdon's website. I had very good results with bullets from 300-400 grains, lead or jacketed, over 4198, 322, 3031 and 4064. 322 was my favorite powder.