New to the shotgun world

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Devinredus, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Devinredus

Devinredus New Member

Hey guys help me out im lookin to purchase a shotgun i was at the turnners shot show and shot my first shotgun. Now i wanna purchase. my local gun stores are dicks! Found this out tryin to buy a handgun. Anyways i want to get in to shooting clay pigeons but am on a budget what should i look into dont wanna spend 500 bucks i can use any advice i can get! i want a pump

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Devin,

Are you going to shoot Skeet or Trap? Or Both? The $500 range is good! You can get you a decent shogun for that price range. But please be a little more specific on what you are going to use it for. Shooting a lot, or little on occasion, Are you going to also use it for hunting, what gauge are you looking at. The Pump or Auto Loader recommendation would depend on some additional information you can provide. Thanks

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Glad you're getting into the sport when you get a sec stop on by the intro section and tell everyone a little bit about yourself. As Sniper said a little bit of info is still needed to make some recommendations.

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

We need more info. But if you are looking for an all purpose shotgun i would recommend the remington 870 with a 28in barrel for skeet and hunting if you want. New i think its in the 300-400$ range, please correct me if im wrong

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  5. Devinredus

Devinredus New Member

Ill be doin both trap and skeet i have done trap theres a range right down the street from me they do both i do plan to shoot as much as possible every outher weekend looking at 12 gage. hunting if i had people that went id go but doubt that. I want mostly for the range

6. Devinredus

Devinredus New Member

Silverodo i dont see a intro section ill keep lookin tho haha

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Devin,

Please get that Intro taken care of! We would like to welcome you to the Forum.

There are a lot of fine pump shotguns available in the $500 range. But for Skeet I was thinking you might be better off with a Semi Auto Shotgun.

There are several that also fall into the price range with vented rib barrel and interchangeable chokes which you must have to make the shotgun versatile for what you want it to do for you.
    Here are a few to look at:

CZ
    Howa
    Mossberg 930 Series
    Stoeger 2000 Series
    Weatherby
    I am sure there are more some other good ones run in the $650-699 range!

Good Luck on your selection and have a great time. Skeet to me was a blast and also helped me get tuned up for quail hunting season.

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

The op doesn't want to spend $500 on it.

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

If the op is looking semi auto then id say get a remington 1100

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

He said pump but 1100 would be a good idea if he wanted to move away from the pump.

12. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Ok my bad. Well either way you go pump or semi i stick with a remington or mossy

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Newest Mossberg 500 for Trap and general use. Skeet? I use different barrel.

14. Devinredus

Devinredus New Member

What about thar mavrick by mossdurg its a cheaper made 500 thats what im reading and most the parts are the same advice? And i can get for like 230 after tax i found a benalli nova for 300 its used tho ima make a trip to turnners and look at a 500 or 1100 today thanks for all the help

15. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

+1 here as well.

17. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

I own a mavrick 88 12 gauge and also a mossy 535 which is the same as a 500 but will shoot 3 1/2 inch shells...as far as the way they shoot the only difference in the two guns is the mossys action is a little smoother... i would not tell anyone NOT to buy a mavrick 88 its a great gun ecspecially for a starter shotgun to get u rollin :) good luck buddy best wishes have fun and be safe

18. cj84

cj84 New Member

Go shoot a 500 then a 870 there's not a thing wrong with the 500 but I've never shot an 870 i didn't like.

19. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Mossberg 500 is great but I have yet to hear Anything bad about the Maverick 88 either. Almost all interchangeable parts with the 500 including barrel. Dual extractors and dual pump guide rails. easily found for $250 or less leaving more budget for other barrels (short home defense, rifled slug barrel which I've heard can be accurate to 200yrds), chokes, accessories or optics.

Another option I would Highly recommend would be an Ithaca 37 (pump). You would might have to go used to get in your price range, but I have heard the older ones were better anyways. I have a 1974 deerslayer (smooth bore slug gun) that is amazing. At the very least give it a search / look, there is a HUGE fan base / following of these great guns out there.

Best of luck and let us know what you choose.

20. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Then honestly what is the difference bet the maverick and the 500 other than price, not the furniture is it?