New to the rifle world. Can anyone answere a question for me.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Zamzow, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

I am new to the rifle world but am planning on buying a 30-06 Remington. I was looking at the Remington 700 SPS but found the Remington 770 with scope for 300 dollars cheaper. Can
    anyone explain to me the differences in the rifles and which would be the best to go with for a beginning hunter

2. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

700 better platform to build on get a scope separate the best you can afford

3. JosephMD

JosephMD New Member

The 770 is designed to be a cheaper version of the 700, but you do get what you pay for. It is designed to facilitate a lot of automation in assembly. The tolerances aren't quite as tight and in my hands, the 770 felt lighter and not quite as solid as the 700. I love my 700 .308, it is great. It really depends on how you plan to use it. If you plan to shoot a lot or you really want to reach out to 500 yards or more, go for the 700. For hunting at medium distances, the 770 would probably be fine.

J

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

From those two choices, I would go with the 700 hands down. If you don't mind buying used, you could get a 700 a lot cheaper (may not be the same set up though). I have a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06, and it is a great gun. It's super accurate and well made. I got it a few years ago, and it cost about $400 from a pawn shop.

Marlin and Savage also make really good guns at low prices. A Marlin X7 is about $300-$400 and Savage has several models that are $400-$500.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7.asp

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Chevrolet and Caddilac are both General Motors cars.

6. kyledirette

kyledirette New Member

I would go with an older model 700. I had it in 30-06 and liked it a lot. I've heard some people have had safety issues with it though. Mine shot true every time.

7. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Don't know how the new ones are, but, I have shot the 700 in 06 for 35+ years and love it.

8. Squawk

Squawk New Member

That is from inadequately maintained firearms or triggers adjusted outside of factory recommended specs. From the factory, they were fine. People shouldn't treat there firearms like **** and malfunctions (generally) wont happen.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the M700 and M770 are two totally different rifle platforms. nothing will interchange that i know of. the M770 has a pressed in barrel, where the M700 has a screwed in barrel. the M700 also has a multitude of aftermarket support in the form of parts and accessories. the M770 doesn't.

the M770 has a very flimsy stock, the trigger is gritty and heavy, and non-adjustable IIRC, the bolt is sloppy and ill fitting as well as being able to bind up easy. the platform is nothing like the M700 which has proven itself for over 50 years for hunters, target shooters, LE and the military.

hopefully you're not trying to regurgitate those M700 internet myths again? and if you go back and do some research about them, most all were found to be unfounded or could not be duplicated and those that were, were found to have been improperly maintained or having had been improperly adjusted by unqualified persons.

10. kyledirette

kyledirette New Member

Anyone that had a safety problem broke one of the number one rules when using a firearm, NEVER RELY ON THE SAFETY.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the problem wasn't the safety persay, but the idiots trying to adjust the triggers and doing it improperly and the safety didn't work because the idiots didn't know what they were doing. so how is that a problem with the safety?

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 770 in 30-06. I bought it becuase I needed an elk rifle. I was in a hurry and didnt have a bunch of money. I understand that the 700 is a better built rifle. My 770 is a super acurate rifle. I can shoot 1" groups at 200 yards. That is 1/2 moa. Maybe I got the only good one? But I can say the action feels like a toy. It feels cheap. It will probably not hold up to abuse. But if you are looking for a hunting rifle to carry around in the woods and shoot a few time a year it would probably do the job. If you are wanting something to shoot the crap out of at the range...I would look at the 700.

13. godale

godale Member

every 710 or 770 i have seen were not bad shooters. for a loaner gun or somebody who goes out a few times a year they would work i just feel for the price there are better choices in that are of budget rifles. guns are like women what you like maybe the next guy doesnt

14. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

If you've ever banged an expensive rifle/scope against a deer stand or tree like I have you tend to re-evaluate priorities. I decided I don't need 1500 bucks worth of rifle to kill a deer. Now I hunt with a .308 Win., Mossberg 100 ATR, with the LBA trigger, and the generic 3X9 scope that came with it. Great trigger, plenty accurate, and $299.99 plus tax at Academy.
    Now if you're going to shoot in rifle matches you might go with something a little more expensive.

15. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

700 no contest at all. Beat choice is to get an older one. New 700s aren't anything like they used to be. Better yet get a savage.

16. austin92

austin92 New Member

Ruger American series

17. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Investment cast and 3 actions screws are not the way to go

18. austin92

austin92 New Member

I shot one and loved it. Feels and looks of quality seams better than a 700 IMO. Not sure what you mean by this comment, do you not like ruger rifles?

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

All Ruger rifles and handguns use the investment casting process. What is the problem with investment casting? How many action screws are needed to regulate a turn bolt action?
    How many screws does the 98 Mauser father of most modern turn bolts have?:confused: