New to the Range...Looking for Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Fairfax22032, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Fairfax22032

Fairfax22032 New Member

My girlfriend is an avid shooter and after a few trips to the range with her I am looking to buy my first gun. I have shot her Kimber Ultra CDP II which is nice, but a bit out of my price range and probably overkill for someone who is probably going to shoot 500 or so rounds per year.

I have also rented the Springfield Armory XD, Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and a Glock 17(?)...both of which seemed to be more than adequate for my needs. However, with so many options to choose from I am looking for suggestions to narrow down my search.

Whatever I get is going to be primarily used at the range and I would like something relatively easy to take care of...the S&W appears to fit well there. Probably looking to 9mm as well. Budget is somewhat open, but I would like to keep the cost under $650.

I realize that this can be a hotly debated topic, but appreciate any insight. For what it's worth I like the fact that the S&W is made in America.

2. Beezer

Beezer New Member

Can't go wrong with the M&P or the Glock. If the gun isn't going to be used that often, get it used and save yourself some $$.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I will second on buying used. But only if you know someone that knows how to inspect a gun. It is hard for a new shooter to know the condition of a used gun. If you buy from a pawn shop ask about a warranty. Even if it is only a 10 day guarantee. You need to be able to make sure it works properly.

I have bought a lot of used guns. There are people out there that will try to cheat you. It is like buying anything else used.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you are comparing three similar guns, such as the XD, M&P, and Glock, then going with the one that fits your hand best, and that you shoot best is the one you should go with. I tend to prefer the feel of the Glock trigger to the M&P, but the grip of the M&P feels more natural.

Many Glocks are made in Smyrna, Georgia, but the company is still a foreign holding. XD is imported and marketed by an American company but made in Croatia. M&P is your only true US choice.

I've shot all three. All are good guns.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

For range use only? Darned near anything will work. Everything on your list will do nicely. I have a Springfield XD40SC, it's a quality piece. The M&P and the Glock are probably a bit more popular than the XD series. They are all very good choices to be fair. I myself am not a rally big fan of polymer pistols. But if they work for you, find the one you like best and enjoy.

Anything that could be classed as a service pistol (Pretty much everything you list) will be relatively easy to take care of. I would add that few would be considered difficult. Once you figure out the maintenance and upkeep of one type, much of that knowledge transfers to others. Oh, in case you're not really sure, YouTube is a nearly bottomless resource for cleaning and disassembly info for nearly anything you're liable to bring home.

I would also like to point out that since you have fired and I would assume, enjoyed the GF's Kimber, there are cheaper options for 1911 style pistols (the little lady's Kimber is a compact carry version, not really would I would recommend as a first pistol.) Check out Ruger, Springfield or Rock Island Armory for a variety of 1911 style options from mild to wild, in several size options, some of which are quite affordable.
    Additionally, I would toss in the CZ 75/85 series and the Stoeger Cougar Series as possible economical options that are quite excellent and enjoyable.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are other things involved with purchasing a firearm.

Can you get extra magazines? With the internet it is no problem, but like the ink jet printer is cheap, the refill or new cartridges are not.

How about a holster or two should you decide to use it for carry?

What type of warranty is on the firearm? What about repairs to the firearm (if necessary)?

Ammo? You mentioned that, but stock up on the caliber you selected. Are 500 rounds enough if we go through another dry spell (and more dry spells are coming)?

And one last thing, training.
    Go to a class even if you have been shooting on your own for years. Everyone develops bad habits and don't realize it. A course can help identify those bad habits and fix them.

7. Fairfax22032

Fairfax22032 New Member

Thank for the helpful insight!

A couple of thoughts...

I tend to buy my "toys" new, but may check out the used options at an upcoming gun show just to see the difference in price. While I might opt for a holster to use at the range, I highly doubt that I would ever open or conceal carry. I have too many friends and family members in LE (from local to Federal) and know that I would want a lot more situational training before ever considering having a gun in public. Really a personal choice, but not something where I would plan on spending a lot of time.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I prefer Glock and I carry a G19. If you can live with an M&P 9, that is what I would get. You can get a M&P9 for $425. The M&P9 is a reliable companion in your nightstand or on the range.

here is a good deal on a used pistol. Buds has a lot of Glock, older S&W and M&P police trade ins at very good prices.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654_910/products_id/411555599/Smith+%26+Wesson+M%26P+40+3+mags+and+NS+Police+Trades

Use www.gunwatcher.com to compare prices. I have never bought a gun from a gun show in my life. What going to a gun show will do is let you handle a lot of guns.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Fairfax How about a CZ 75. many variants to pick from. Great pistol with very few issues ,showing up . Pick from a nice single action trigger or a DA/SA trigger in a soft shooting accurate handgun. Or if you may carry it one day and a lighter weight cz75 pcr or rami.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You forgot the Rugers?:confused:
    SR9 series. several to choose from. Made in USA.
    CZ would be another non American choice. 9mm on the 1911 is getting popular.

11. indy36

indy36 New Member

For a 'range gun' you want something with a long barrel. This translates to accuracy. The Glock 34, the M&P Pro Series, and the Springfield XDM 5.25 are three good options. I have owned all three. The last man standing, my favorite, was the M&P Pro Series 9mm with the 5 inch barrel. It feels great in the hand, has target sights, a lightened trigger pull, and a low bore axis. It shoots very well. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. RKB

RKB Member

Probably the best advice given so far. My experience is the opposite, I personally cannot tolerate the feel of a Glock in my hand, or the trigger, and I do not shoot them well. A lot of folks raised on a 1911 will say the same because of the totally-different 'feel' and different grip angle. This is not Glock-bashing, they make a great weapon but they just don't do it for me. We are all different (me more than most :eek:) As Doc says, try them all and go with what feels good to you, and if you can shoot them all, the one you do best with.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's easy to pick and sometimes it's not. These targets are from top to bottom: Springfield Armory 1911 in .45 ACP, Smith&Wesson M&P .40, and Glock 19 in 9mm. Own all three. Couldn't pick just one. These things can become addictive.

[​IMG]

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IMO, get a 9mm single stack SS S&W for now.

Won't cost the ranch, till you find something

you really like.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't like to start new shooters with a 1911. The 1911 platform is so forgiving a monkey can hit a target with a 1911. New shooters should start with a gun that forces them to develop good techniques. I learned to shoot with big heavy revolvers that were very forgiving. If you had both hands on these revolvers and were not shaking you could hit a target. Once I realized I had faults in my form it took six months of training and a lot of ammo to break the bad habits I had developed over the years.

16. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Glock 17/19/26 (all are 9MM - probably the 19 or 26 if you are going to carry it concealed unless you're a big boy)

M&P 9 (9MM - probably the compact if you are going to carry it concealed)

The Glock is an adequate weapon. The M&P is like a Glock that was made to fit human hands.

I have a Glock 17 Gen 4 and it works. I have used various other Glock pistols in the past and have nothing but positive experiences with all of them. The ergonomics are nothing to write home about, but it's usable.

Both pistols are well made, durable, accurate, and are backed by companies that have good customer support/service to correct any issues you may experience using them. Neither pistol is overly complicated and both will run wet/dry/hot/cold/dirty.

I rate the M&P higher than the Glock in ergonomics and, of course, it's made in the US. Parts and accessories are not a problem with either option. The Glock is, generally, slightly less expensive. Both pistols are well within your budget.

I'm going to disagree with some of the other posters here and say that you should purchase a new pistol versus used pistol. That way, you get the factory warranty and you don't have to wonder about how the pistol was treated by its previous owner. If you're just getting into firearms, then you probably have no way of knowing whether or not anything is mechanically wrong with a pistol and unless you know a Glock or S&W certified armorer and gunsmith you can take shopping with you, then there's not much to gain by buying used.

17. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

the Beretta p-92 or Taurus Pt-92 are still my GTG due to reliability, ambidextrious safety and mag release, High capacity mags and their accuracy plus they are SA/DA with a decocker.
    the only difference between the p-92 and PT -92 is the safety is on the frame on the Taurus and the safety is on the slide on the Beretta. both makes are however extremely reliable will cycle any ammo you feed them and very easy to field strip for cleaning and easy reassembly.
    it can be a hand full for someone with small hands tho.

18. Fairfax22032

Fairfax22032 New Member

I am taking an Intro Shooter class this week with plans for heading to the range this weened and renting few pistols to see how they feel when I fire a couple of magazines. After two trips to Gander Mountain (seemed like the easiest place to see 500+ handguns in one place) and checking out about a dozen different models I think that I have created a short list of:

* S&W M&P 9
    * Beretta PX4 Storm
    * Springfield Armory XD
    * SIG SP2022

The biggest factor for me was how each felt in my hand. I really didn't care for the Glock 17 or the Stoeger Cougar and the CZ75 was too small. Price also comes into play and each of these is within my (<$600) budget. There are probably others that would work as well and if I have learned anything it is there is no perfect handgun and tastes vary. My sense is that any of these will serve me well at the range.

I appreciate the advice which helped me narrow my options.

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Interesting. I do believe this has to be the first time I've ever heard someone refer to the CZ 75, a full sized service pistol that uses double stack mags, as "too small." Exactly how big are your hands? ;)
    Of your short list, I'd probably go with the Sig or the Beretta. I prefer mine with hammers, YMMV. Though any on your list a solid choices.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I have my SR9 for 2-1/2 years. 1800 rounds. It's my HD Gun,...had only a few hiccups,...been running fine the last 700+ rds.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk