New to the Glock brand and a ton of questions.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by archangel2003, Mar 18, 2010.

1. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

I am interested in the .45 ACP Glock model 21 since I have found they offer it in the .50 version.

At first I was looking to get a 1911 model, (the most familiar large caliber gun for me) but the price for what you get did not add up after looking into the Glock brand.

I have watched a few videos on line and have a few questions to start.

They have the .50 GI conversion that just slides on to either the model 20 (10-mm) or 21 (45-ACP).

The Glock system does look sweet BTW.

1: Would the slide from another large frame fit the same lower assembly?

I know that if I got the model 21 (45-ACP) I could also have a drop in slide and magazine in the .50 GI and even the .22 rim fire.

That got me thinking.

What about the interchangeability of the other large frame models?

Glock 17 - 9-mm
    Glock 20 - 10-mm
    Glock 21 - 45-ACP
    Glock 22 - 40-SW
    Glock 31 - 357-SIG
    Glock 37 - 45-GAP

Do I assume the 20 and 21 lower assemblies are the same as the .50 GI slide fits them both, and could I have an extra model 20 10-mm slide and mag to fit the model 21 frame?

Will all, or any of those magazines and slides listed above fit the lower assembly of a model 20 or 21?

I assume the 9-mm being a much lower powered round would need a less stout frame than a 10-mm, 40 SW and a 45 ACP, but do they all use the same lower assembly?

That would be nice to have a small case with an extra set of slides and mags in .22 rim fire, 9-mm, 10-mm, 45-ACP, 40-SW and the 50-GI.

Talk about a doomsday survival gun!
    Be able to shoot damn near any ammo you come across by just swapping out the slide and magazine!

2. Mutabam

Mutabam New Member

Yes, the G20 and G21 lowers are identical. You can use a .357 Sig Glock factory barrel in a Glock .40 of the same size.

Glock 9mm and .40 lowers are also identical, except for the ejectors; they use the same recoil spring setups. The only slides that will fit on a G21/G20 frame are G21 or G20 slides. Same with G30/G29; the lowers are identical.

Don't have any interest in the .50 G.I., so don't have any information about that. Do know that you can shoot .400 Cor-Bon, .40 Super and .45 Super through a G21. You can get .40 and .357 Sig conversion barrels for a G20.

3. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Archangel, new comers usually stop by the intrudictions thread and tell use a little about themselves. Could you do that please?

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just for clarity, how much cheaper will your glock with all this modification be, compared to a 1911?

And what battlefield do you think you will find .50GI ammo lying around? Probably the same one with .50AE and .454 Casull.

Take it from someone that has done a bit of modification and conversions on my handguns,.....wait for it.......DON'T!

I pride my aptitude as a retired mechanical engineer to take-on this type of work but my guess is, based on your post, you don't have a similar background. You are setting yourself up for an epic fail.

Can you get the thing to run multiple calibers? Yes, but if you think a 1911 is too expensive, wait until you have a pile of glock-parts on your kitchen table and you can't even get it back to original running order. I see gunsmiths rubbing their hands and saying, cha-ching!

IMHO, I don't think I'd trust my life to a 50GI round running on the glock sheet metal slides. I'm just sayin'.

Want a hand-cannon? Get a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Rem Mag or a 460 Rowland 1911. Mine shoots both .45 ACP and 460 Rowland and bet it cost less than what you are planning.

Attached Files:

5. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

Let's try this again and see if it will post.

I am looking into it right now, but the prices I have seen for most of the 1911s out there are higher than the Glock price, and you have to admit the reputation of the glock is not too bad.

Hence the reason for getting the original gun in either the 45-ACP or 40-SW cartrige.

And

Check out the video on the web.

All you do is remove the .45 magazine and slide/barrel assembly, slide on the 50-GI slide/barrel assembly, insert the .50-GI magazine, cycle a round into the chamber, and pull the trigger.

I can pull the magazine and replace the slide/barrel assembly without the help of a gun smith.

Your assumption on my post is not "an epic fail", but a fail none the less.

Evil Grin Spreading Across My Face.

You do not want me to get on my soap box and list all the corrections I have had to make in my line of work throughout the years to the "work" done by people that were labeled "mechanical engineer" but seemed to have no mechanical aptitude what so ever.

BTW, I am a former auto/truck dealership mechanic, was also for a few years a machinist and am now laid off from a major Caterpillar subcontractor.

I fixed some issues that had those "Engineers" scratching their heads for the whole 4 years the 994 line was in production!

Oh, sorry, no offense intended.
    Getting off the soap box and back on track.

It's a bit late in life now, but I'm back in college, my major, Mechanical Engineering.

They seem to be surviving rather well so far.

I had a .45 caliber Ruger revolver.

Nice gun, but I just don't want a revolver again.

The conversion to the 460 Rowland is "cost impressive", but the company that supplies the drop in kit says that there are issues in shooting the 45-ACP unless you swap the lighter spring back in and the accuracy is also in question using the 460 Rowland barrel with the 45-ACP rounds.

They also have a long list of the 1911 models that they do not suggest using for the conversion.

Also, if I can nit pick just for the fun of it, the Glock .50-GI swap is faster to execute than the 460 Rowland swap.

Well, the 45 ACP (in the 1911 and that I love so much since the USMC introduced me to) has been around about a century now, the 9-mm also being so wide spread lately and with the .40 now being adopted by so many "Government agencies", like the 9-mm was, I figure that if go with those three calibers, they are going to be more available for purchase, more affordable, and with a larger selection of design variation available in each caliber.

Yeah the .44 Rem Magnum can kill 2 bad guys in a row with 1 round (perhaps even 3?), but the .50-GI conversion is a much larger round traveling at .45-ACP velocities putting out similar "Magnum level" energy into the target, rather than through and behind it.

It can also be considered my version of gun candy, to satisfy my wish for a 1/2" caliber that I wished the 1911 was, and, I believe, should have been from the get-go.

6. Mutabam

Mutabam New Member

I use aftermarket parts in my Glocks. I can't imagine requiring the services of a gunsmith to work on one of my Glocks. They're really simple machines with a few parts. Were it not for 1911s, gunsmiths wouldn't have much to do every day.

Glocks are durable and fun to shoot. I own both 1911s and Glocks. I'll occasionally shoot one of my 1911s, when I get that nostalgic, "guess I ought to fondle an anachronism" feeling. :D

Oh, yeah, next time I'm on a battlefield, I'll be really concerned about finding ammo for my Glock. :)

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Pass the Popcorn.

8. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

CANE?!?!?!!?!? Did that really just happen?

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Jesus - What a waste of my life. Why did I even bother clicking this thread.

Cane. This one is ALL yours. :rolleyes:

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

8200 posts versus 3, respected longtimer versus noob...who's taking odds on the outcome of this disagreement?

11. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I say the newbs are going to prove something to Cane and convert him from Colt to a diehard Glock fan. :D:eek:

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Ummm yeah...when pigs from out of my arse. :D

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

14. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

So, the person with the higher post count is 100% correct by default on all counts?

I'm not trying to convert anyone, I just has questions, but he made an assumption, and I answered it.

That's all folks.

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not always but you omitted the well respected part. I will give Cane the benefit of the doubt every day of the week over someone whose initial post inquires about converting a Glock into a Howitzer. He was offering you his experience and you chose to berate and lecture him, too bad that's your loss.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  16. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

I'm not converting anything into a "Howitzer".

It also seems as if none of you have even looked into it or you would not be making statements like "Howitzer".

And there is a big difference between advice and judgment, and his advise was more opinion as it lacks fact.

A 50-BMG is a heck of a lot more powerful and that is not classified as a howitzer.

And his choice of caliber?
    Lets do some Taylor rating math.

460 Rowland...185 JHP....1400....17.02
    44 mag..........240 JHP....1250....18.41
    A lighter bullet going faster and it puts out less energy than a 44 mag?
    Why bother?

The conversion I was suggesting is no more powerful than the 44 magnum that HE was suggesting, and with the hottest load combination.
    44 mag...........240 JHP......1250......18.41
    50GI..............300 JHP......860........18.43

How do you deal with over-penetration of the 44 magnum?
    Make the bullet wider, heavier and slow it down.

Here is the complete Taylor rating list.

9mm..................125 JHP...........1175fps....7.47
    40 S&W..............180 JHP...........1050........10.07
    357 mag.............158 JHP...........1250........10.80
    45ACP................230 JHP...........875.........12.98
    44 mag...........240 JHP...........1250.......18.41
    460 Rowland.....185 JHP............1400.......17.02
    50GI..................240 LSWC.........750........12.88.... 45ACP level
    50GI..................300 FP.............720.........15.45.....41 Mag level
    50GI..................275 JHP............890.........17.51.....41 Mag level
    50GI............. 300 JHP............860.........18.43......44 Mag level

17. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Are you trying to impress someone?

18. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Cane I am so sorry but I am selling my Kimber...you know my antiquated piece of nostalgia so I can go out and buy myself a G21. Then I am going to spend $500 so I can be on the cover of Mall Ninja Quarterly.

Archangel, Cane is one of the most respected knowledgeable members on this forum...or did you miss the "moderator" title. He among several other members here that you have managed to piss off on this thread are usually the most patient and helpful people on this forum. With you attitude I can only assume you will probably not last long around here.

I can only imagine what this thread would look like if Tango, Underfire or Dave got on here. I do have to thank you though, without this thread I would have never found out how the "ignore" button works.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  19. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

The 1911 still being around and so popular a hundred years later is a testament to it's quality and design.
    However, technology is still advancing, and the Glock is more advanced.

What I don't get is the "old timers with huge post counts" that are supposed to be so helpful and knowledgeable, making unfounded statements, without researching the subject, that would only take a few seconds and a couple mouse clicks.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Aristotle

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You guys together?